Armor fitting post body lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm waiting on the results from a few projects guys are wrapping up to help determine a good route I'll likely implement over a couple years. Ass backwards of course .. 7.5" lift, 1" body lift and 3" in tires ((37-31)/2) . Then the next year add front bumper, sliders and rear bumper/tire carrier.

This has to stay my DD. My commutes are under 5 miles a day :D , so this DD can become a bit of a monster without it making too big a hinderance on the gas budget etc. Once or twice a year I'd like to drive 500-5000 miles to some events like the Roundup , Black hills, and Moab so the rig has to be able to maintain some driveability. Sway bars will stay , and no beadlockers I suppose.

Since this rig will remain my :princess: the flares will stay. I keep asking myself how I will mate an aftermarket bumper to the 80 so that it 'fits' into the rear flares something like the stock bumper does. If I add the 1" body lift, and then a bumper that WOULD have mated well (with flares) what do I need to do to adjust for this body lift? Would I need to have the brackets on the bumper that bolt up to the frame rails, cut off and new ones welded up lower on the bumper? As noted above I am willing to scale back the rubber to 37's and add a body lift before I ever consider losing the flares and breaking out the sawzall. :eek:

The front bumper is not as big an issue, nor are the sliders ..

TY

This question sort of goes against the spirit of the thread, but why the body lift? Couldn't you fit 37" tires with a 6" lift?

I would think anything you'd want to do -- in regards to a rear bumper -- could be done as a custom job. The mounts for the rear bumper would need to be lower than "normal" to accommodate the extra inch of space, thus raising the bumper to meet the body.

T Y, what about your parking garage?

I have decided that when/if i go with the 6inch plus body lift, i will cut the mounts and relocate the mounts 1-2 inches higher on the frame.

The sliders and bumpers will have to be custom and/or modified to lineup properly. The ARB front doesn't look like a good candidate, it mounts by surrounding the frame rails, it would require serious surgery. The TJM would be the easiest is the "off the shelf" fronts to modify?

Most of the rear bumpers slide over the frame, so raising them is not easy. 4x4 Labs cuts the frame, maybe they can make something?

That picture is about as helpful as a pair of bowling cleats. Thanks LX.

That picture is about as helpful as a pair of bowling cleats. Thanks LX.

:bounce:

Totally worthless, defiantly unsafe, BLING!

Tools R Us said:
The sliders and bumpers will have to be custom and/or modified to lineup properly. The ARB front doesn't look like a good candidate, it mounts by surrounding the frame rails, it would require serious surgery. The TJM would be the easiest is the "off the shelf" fronts to modify?

Here's a question: Would you really need to have custom sliders fabricated, as off the shelf ones would still be no lower than the frame?

Other than the obvious aesthetic considerations on having a 1" or so gap between the rocker and the slider, I'm not sure it would have a functional impact if the slider was an inch higher.

Using an off the shelf weld on slider would be of some benefit, I suppose, as you might be able to "cheat" it up a half inch or so.

Here's a question: Would you really need to have custom sliders fabricated, as off the shelf ones would still be no lower than the frame?

Other than the obvious aesthetic considerations on having a 1" or so gap between the rocker and the slider, I'm not sure it would have a functional impact if the slider was an inch higher.

True, but I would want to take advantage of the extra clearance on the sides.

Using an off the shelf weld on slider would be of some benefit, I suppose, as you might be able to "cheat" it up a half inch or so.

The exhaust will be the limiting factor, but one of the reasons I am looking into it is to move the exhaust.

elmariachi said:
Are you planning on bumping up your engine power to drive those meats?
ah, it's a slippery slope.

I know AMMO and I have just left the sliders where they are, more or less at the same height or a little higher than the frame rails. It bothers me having that gap and knowing that they could be higher and tucked closer. AMMO said it doesn't bother him. It wouldn't be that big of a deal to raise the DS slider an inch or two but for the PS (especially the Hanna style) would require some surgery.

AMMO also has the ARB front bumper that he has "modified" so it is snug. Looks great but is obviously cut up quite a bit from the off the shelf version.

elmariachi said:
Are you planning on bumping up your engine power to drive those meats?

Serious question being posed there T? I mean lower gears are one thing but its gonna take some HP to make that a daily driver thats not an absolute dog.

reffug said:
Serious question being posed there T? I mean lower gears are one thing but its gonna take some HP to make that a daily driver thats not an absolute dog.

Yea, I wasn't trying to hijack T's thread, but I felt like I was at the limit of my 80 (now Kaderabek's) when I went to 315's, and it was supercharged. I simply cannot imagine a truck with 37.5s and a stock engine/driveline. Putting around is one thing, but getting up a head of steam to get on the on-ramp will be a chore, IMO.

I was thinking the 1" body lift because of it's relative ease of install, so why not? 1" more to perhaps help 'stuff' the 37's . I know they'd fit at starbucks .. but at flex, I was trying to allow for more stuff, so I didn't half to bumpstop way down.

One thing that needs to be acknowledged m I guess, in regards to the lowering of bumper mounts for alignment sakes is the safety issues .. as IdahoDoug mentioned in his report on his brother Scott's accident, the ARB? bumper did as it was supposed to .. and did so in part because it was properly aligned with the rest of the frame rails. Now if I go messing with that either on the bumper or the frame side, I stand to loose some of that integrity. So I think it might be best after all to not mess with the alignment of these two parts, and maybe just weld up a light interface that helps the bumperage blend in with the body a little better.

Sliders are not a big deal , are they? Is it an asthetic issue, or is it that here we are adding lift and bigger meats only to have sliders that are in a less than optimal position. If so , how is that ? 'Splain the importance of slider position in relation to the body .. does it really make a difference functionally if the body is an inch higher?

Power has never been a big issue. I went with bigger meats very soon after I bough the 80, so acceleration went down the tubes. I do have the recallibrator though .. and forsee 4:88's soon after the 37's. Not 5.29's because I like being a bit behind the stock gearing so that highway RPM's are manageable.

I took another look at the rear bumpers I like , and they actually do not engage the rear flares .. but rather slide up near the rear quarter panel , and stop before reaching back to the flare, so this some of this may be a moot point.

TY

are you going bias play or radial 37's?

if it was up to me i would skip the 1" lft if it will clear 37's. These things are already top heavy. No point in making it much worse for a little extra stuff. Letting the opposite side droop more will accomplish the same thing.

Besides, chicks dig battle scars. :D

As long as it's capable of running over all the Thuubahwooooos I see, then fine .. no bodylift. Heh .. ;p

TY

dejablu311 said:
hahahaha nice

I also have my sights on my Supervisor's Honda CRV :D

TY

Hay TY " ANGER MANAGEMENT " Class LOL HAY I'll have the pics and imfo asap and well PM ya ..1" or 2" ya man.... CRAIG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom