For Sale Arizona: Toyota 1965 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Mileage
Color
Blue
Greetings all. My daughter has asked me to get her 1965 FJ40 ready to sell. It belonged to her now-deceased spouse who purchased it 8 years ago with intentions of restoring. I am not new to the automotive scene, I've restored or built dozens of cars/trucks/cycles but Toyota FJ's are new to me. I've no idea what folks are looking for relative to FJ's. I know that if this were a Chevy Camaro in similar condition, WOW. The vehicle appears to be completely stock except for a Mallory ignition system. It had the original 6 cyl engine with 3-speed column shift. The vehicle spent its life in Arizona and is pretty much rust free. I've resto-modded several cars from desert states and what a joy. SO Is it more desirable to leave it stock? Can anyone advise as to the market for this vehicle? Are the older FJ's highly sought after? I'm not sure if I can post pictures with my first post, but I'll be around for a while.
20200419_164101.jpg
20200419_164101.jpg
20200418_134738.jpg

20200418_134636.jpg

Silverbakdog,
Far from stock but close. Examples would be color, wheels, carburetor, missing running boards and that's just what I can see.
There are some knowledgeable lads in the Az on these that might chime in.
Put no money it and get it gone. Does the screwdriver in the carburetor come with it? ;)

Last edited:
After reading through this forum I can see that the FJ is not stock. I could tell that it had been repainted from its original color which appears to have been white. The 6 cyl engine has been refitted with an aftermarket carb and ignition system. It was driven to its present location but hasn't been driven in 3 years. It does brake. The keys have been misplaced so I had to "hot wire" to get it going. It runs very well, albeit on stale gas. Charging system, lights, wipers, etc. work. Juice clutch needs attention. I have no idea of it's value so if you guys can give me some idea of that I would appreciate it. Not sure if I can post a video but I do have some additional pics.
20200420_143447.jpg

20200420_143420.jpg
20200420_143319.jpg
20200420_143312.jpg
20200420_140204.jpg

Last edited:
See if the Vin number on the tag matches the Vin on the frame. Frame Vin is easily seen behind the right front wheel and is facing outward.
The problem with FJ40's is the prices are all over the map. There is one in Imperial Beach in this classified section just listed for an ask of 5K, and I'm 45 minutes from it but I am acutely aware of the amount of money it takes to make them safe and road worthy. And, many parts for a '65 are very difficult to come by. But that's me.
List it for 8k and see what happens, take an offer and make it go away. Perhaps others can correct me if I'm wrong. Just to find the correct seats will cost some serious coin.

See if the Vin number on the tag matches the Vin on the frame. Frame Vin is easily seen behind the right front wheel and is facing outward.
The problem with FJ40's is the prices are all over the map. There is one in Imperial Beach in this classified section just listed for an ask of 5K, and I'm 45 minutes from it but I am acutely aware of the amount of money it takes to make them safe and road worthy. And, many parts for a '65 are very difficult to come by. But that's me.
List it for 8k and see what happens, take an offer and make it go away. Perhaps others can correct me if I'm wrong. Just to find the correct seats will cost some serious coin.
Thanks for the reply. I'm back at home and the FJ is at my daughter's house in Phoenix. I'll have her take photos of the frame in that area. Thanks so much for that info.

Thanks. I had my daughter take a pic of the frame number. It matches the title and plate. I have the 2 jump seats for the back.
fj-vin.jpg

Nice solid 40, if that was original paint it could be a 12k truck with some oe wheels and some acorn caps, find the missing parts and just clean it up. It should bring 8 to 10k. A dream for the east coast crowd!

2x @whitey45 and @scoutingranch.
Built March of 1965. Getting it to 12k would cost more than $4k. Selling ~$8k plus or more likely minus makes more sense. Well lit closeups stills of under the side and rear doors would be a real selling point. Is the cap correct?

Take it back to stock, but pretty, and keep it. Here's somebody's pretty truck of similar vintage.
20190926_215002.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom