Arizona Jeff's 1976 FJ40 Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I bought a 40....and I just turned 40. Seems appropriate I'd say. I have an 1996 FZJ80 that I use for the trail, and the purpose of this one is to NOT beat it up on the trail. I got what I consider a really good deal, and just fell in love with this baby! It's been in Arizona it's whole life I'm told. I have 4 boys (my oldest one stole my 80 - new driver - look out!) I'm planning on teaching them how to drive a stick in this rig. Hopefully they'll fight over it when they bury me :).

Baseline:
-49,000 on the odometer. I'm not sure on the actual miles.
-All the fluids are synthetic and recently changed.
-Flush the radiator - it's looking nasty. Pressure test on the system looks good.
-Compression test came up at 140 on all each of the 6 cylinders. All good.
-Fix loose steering components.
-Clean and undercoat the undercarriage.
-Just Ordered - Spector Off Road: OEM Antenna, hood pads, gas pedal pad, grill emblem, Tie rod end kit, top drag link end kit, center arm repair kit, windshield washer jar, OEM window handles, glove box seal, and a couple of stickers....Everyone loves stickers.
-Just Ordered - Ebay: Side cowel vent seals, cigarette lighter, windshield washer nozzle, new shifter knobs, cool 40 key chain, BTB dash storage box.

Coming Soon:
-Fix the windows - they don't roll up properly and they rattle.
-Door seals - new one's came with the rig, just need to install.
-Stereo - gotta have the tunes :rimshot:

Coming Someday:
-Auxiliary tank - anyone know where to get one that will work (see hole on the passenger side)? I was told that it used to have one but it got rusty and was thrown out.
-Air Conditioning
-Who knows after that. I don't plan on putting the hard top on so I won't bother fine tuning that for some time.

Mostly small stuff for now. I'm pretty new to the 40 scene and look forward to learning and posting as I go.

Enjoy the pics!

101_0653.JPG

101_0654.JPG

101_0655.JPG

101_0657.JPG

101_0658.JPG

Last edited:
Question for you all - The rear end is sagging from the aftermarket bumper, etc. Can I fix this with larger shackles or am I asking for trouble? I'm hoping for something simple for now - maybe a lift someday in the distant future. Thanks!

Welcome, good looking rig. Betcha paid more than $10K :hillbilly: Toyota jacks rock!

Ok, I've got the rear aux. tank to go along with the DOWNEY decal on your rear window. You would have to make the hole in your right rearfender only slightly larger for my filler neck. You can see my photos on ebay #252797662512, but you do not have to buy on ebay. s-l64.jpg
s-l64-1.jpg

Someone needs to school this old fart on how to enlarge my photos here. I hit the full size photo but it doesn't get any larger????

Looks like a nice start, curious why undercoating the interior and rockers were done. Some use that to hide rust or poor repairs. Yes longer shackles would make it sit higher.
Not sure why they did it but it's solid underneath!

Someone needs to school this old fart on how to enlarge my photos here. I hit the full size photo but it doesn't get any larger????
I just hit the full size photo icon during the upload and it seems to work for me

Ok, I've got the rear aux. tank to go along with the DOWNEY decal on your rear window. You would have to make the hole in your right rearfender only slightly larger for my filler neck. You can see my photos on ebay #252797662512, but you do not have to buy on ebay. View attachment 1423429View attachment 1423427
Cool and thanks. Checking it out now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom