Builds Arizona Jeff - Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The Start of a New Adventure
by: Arizona Jeff

After months of searching and near-misses, I finally found the one. I owe a lot to this site, as my purchase was due to a wanted ad I posted here. I purchased my 1996 FZJ80 from Jiminsac and I promised him I'd post from time to time.

The rig:
1 owner
Stock
118k miles
No lockers (yet!)
Zero rust - truely unbelievable how clean the undercarrage and engine are.
Purchase Date: 2/28/14

Purpose:
-Daily Driver for the next couple of years
-Trail rig to take my wife and 4 boys out in- camping, etc. I will actually use the third row seats!
-Hopefully never sell it as I've regretted selling my past Toyotas

Purchase Price: Fair
One way ticket to Sacramento followed by a 13 hour drive home...priceless! It ran great.

Anticipated build items - Always looking for input here:

Baseline:
-Replace all fluids.
-New plugs & wires.
-New front brakes.
-Window Tint.
-Fix passenger side visor - (magnet trick found on this site)

Baselining is complete as of 3/14/14

Phase 1
-Lift - OME 2.5" heavy.
-Tires - 315/75R 16 BFG KM2. I want to keep my flares. I believe this size tire will work great but appreciate input.
-Rear Bumper - I like the ones from 4x4 Labs. I tow a boat as well. Tire carrier & gas can or cooler options with ladder.
-Front Bumper - ARB Bull Bar
-Sliders - 4x4 Labs or Slee or similar
-Roof Rack - Baja Rack (full with sides). Tough to beat their $$
-Stereo - TBD
-Replace cracked dash - looking for one!

This will keep the body protected and hope to do these over the next few months. Then on to Phase 2...

Phase 2:
-Winch - Warn or similar. 10,000 lbs
-Lights - LED Light bars. Type - TBD
-On board compressor - TBD
-Additional skid plates / Undercarriage protection.
-Lockers - I'll be doing some research on this. Find factory lockers off an old rig, Aussie Lockers, ARB Lockers. Lots of pros/cons on each. Wish it had factory lockers but I got a good price on it so I'm not complaining.

96 Land Cruiser original_Page_03.jpg

96 Land Cruiser original_Page_09.jpg

96 Land Cruiser original_Page_12.jpg

96 Land Cruiser original_Page_13.jpg

96 Land Cruiser original_Page_14.jpg

96 Land Cruiser original_Page_03.jpg

96 Land Cruiser original_Page_09.jpg

96 Land Cruiser original_Page_12.jpg

96 Land Cruiser original_Page_13.jpg

96 Land Cruiser original_Page_14.jpg

Repainted the center caps - I'm not too happy with the result. They look a lot better in the daylight. Think I'll eventually paint them flat black.
100_8505.jpg

100_8514.jpg

100_8515.jpg

100_8505.jpg

100_8514.jpg

100_8515.jpg

Peeled off the factory stickers. I think one of these is for the undercarrage coating. The original owner said they coated it at the dealership before he bought it. The pictures show some dirt. It rained off and on from Sacramento to Phoenix.
100_8518.jpg

100_8511.jpg

100_8518.jpg

100_8511.jpg

That's a good one. No roof rack or spoiler/dust deflector. And you're right, that engine bay is clean.

:cheers:

and, grass in Phoenix ? [applicable smiley left out]

Wow, that's a nice find with those miles on it. Congrats. Open up a new line of credit for mods :)

X3 on the color! I am biased though as I own one too! Nice low mile find look forward to the build, sounds like you know what you want and I agree with your list all good stuff!

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a lift, rack, and some other goodies. In the meantime, I've done a few minor mods, which are low cost - but big bang for the buck.

Interior lights - I replaced them with ones I found on Amazon. They are great - $9 for a pair, I bought two pairs. They all fit great into the existing openings and the front map light was a perfect, perfect fit. I think I will find some smaller ones for the door lights. They can be found here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FKPJJNY/?tag=ihco-20

The picture shows the new with the old. I think you can figure which is which.

100_8553.JPG 100_8554.JPG 100_8555.JPG

100_8559.JPG

100_8564.JPG

100_8559.JPG
100_8564.JPG
100_8566.JPG

Fire Extinguisher - I went with a 2.5 lb H3r. $132 on Amazon. I mounted it on the drivers seat. In my research on this, I found a lot of people talking about how it should be within arms reach. Some others on this forum mounted it here and I find that it is not in the way at all.
It can be found here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TPOU2W/?tag=ihco-20

Chirp Chirp - My chirper wasn't working when I bought it. Found one at Radio Shack. If I was to do over again, I would get a louder one. It's 90 db and does fine, but a little louder would have been preferred. I hooked it up to the battery to test it, and it didn't work. A couple of taps and it worked! Worked fine ever since.

100_8544.JPG

100_8545.JPG

100_8547.JPG

100_8548.JPG

100_8563.JPG

Alarm Antenna - There is some info on this on this forum. Lot's of people trying different things to get better range. At first I ran a wire up the B column and around the top of the driver's window. It helped, but once I covered it all back up with the trim the range was cut down again (still way better than stock). I then thought to try an easier approach. Hook the wire to a ground source - I used the seat bolt. This is WAY better than the wire I ran, so I left it. If anyone sees a down side to this, please post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom