Arizona backcountry recovery business owner dies (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cartercd

SILVER Star
Threads
Saw this on the news. Full article and a video from Channel 12 news here: 'He was a real hero': Arizona backcountry recovery business owner dies after testing positive for COVID-19 - https://www.12news.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/he-was-a-real-hero-arizona-backcountry-recovery-business-owner-dies-after-testing-positive-for-covid-19/75-e3376e44-75a8-4b01-9128-9b09b5b6d6b5

PHOENIX — On your worst day of getting stuck in Arizona’s backcountry, you would have wanted Joe Osuch to be the one to pull you out.
“He always came with more than just a winch line to pull you out,” Carl Girard said. “He came with a hug and compassion and water if you were thirsty and sacks if you were hungry.”

Osuch owned Arizona 4x4 OffRoad and Recovery. He spent his time rescuing those who got themselves into tough situations.
Like in February of 2020, when he helped pull a family of five to safety from a raging Sycamore Creek.
“He was a real hero,” Nena Barlow said. “He would go out and save people out of the backcountry. It was a business for him, but there were so many times where he just went and got people.”
But his family said Osuch became sick in April and tested positive for COVID-19 when he was taken to the hospital.
His family said he had not received and wasn’t planning to get the COVID-19 vaccine.
Ultimately, his family said there was too much damage to the 66-year-old’s lungs.
His family said his medical staff started palliative care and he died Tuesday evening.
“It seems like it’s a light at the end of the tunnel,” Barlow said. “To lose people now, I think it seems to hurt more.”
Barlow said she met Osuch at least 20 years ago likely at a clean-up in Table Mesa.
Osuch would call on Barlow upon occasion for a hand getting someone pulled out.
“He could get that truck anywhere and get anybody anywhere and do it safely,” Barlow said.
On Osuch’s business social media page, he often posted the “adventures”, as he’d call them, documenting the outings he had to pull vehicles out.
Now, it’ll be Girard who takes over that job.
Girard said he met Osuch about five years ago when he went to shoot some drone footage for a job Osuch was doing.
Osuch said they’ve been working together ever since.
“He’s definitely a role model, in a lot of ways, more than one,” Girard said. “Not just in how to recover a vehicle, but how to behave as a human being and how to treat each other in the world we live in, where there’s so much negativity anyway, he was always a shining light.”

A final message Osuch left reads: “Let everyone know how much I love them, and that I’m okay with this. I’ve had a great adventure and this will be my greatest adventure looking over everyone here.”
“That’s Joe,” Girard said. “That’s Joe, he was always thinking of other people.”
Girard said that’s exactly what Osuch did in his final exchanges with him.
“He asked me if I was okay," Girard said. “He was on his deathbed and saying goodbye to the world and his question to me was if I was okay.”

Joe was an OHV community hero, a genuine good guy.

Rest in Peace my friend. It was always nice to chat with you the times I had the opportunity. You will be missed.

I never met him, but saw him around table mesa, crown king and florence a few times.

A friend of mine's boss (rick) went wheeling with us out in florence a few years back during a gnarly storm. He brought his brand new rubicon on 37s. We ran woodpecker, he decided to leave because the rain was turing into snow. We gave him directions to get out then went and ran highway to hell. When we got back to the corral 6 or so hours later, he was standing under the kiosk shelter with no jeep in sight. Well he decided to go exploring and ended up on the ajax mine road. He crossed a muddy washout and slid backwards off of a 300' edge. His jeep stopped on a rock outcropping about 40' down sitting on the rear wheels and the spare, with the fronts about 10' off of the ground. He jumped out and broke a few ribs then hiked for 5 hours until someone picked him up.

4 friends went back the following day and tried to winch the jeep up the hill, but couldnt. They ended up tumbling it part way down the hill and gave up after almost losing a rig. The jeep ended up on its side at about a 40 degree angle pointed uphill. He called insurance, they sent a towing company out. Rick rode in with them so they could find the jeep. The tow truck was 2wd, cut 3 tires and was out of cell service and radio range. They ended up spending the night and someone gave them a ride out the next morning. Rick went out with them again the following day with a wrecker that planned on getting the jeep then fixing the tow truck. That one hit the oil filter on a rock and seized the motor about 2/3 of the way in. So, that company quit on the spot.

Next company the insurance hired picked Rick up in a 4wd wrecker with a massive hydraulic winch on it, got there no problem, anchored the truck and pulled cable. The guy turned to rick and said "we'll have it out in 30 minutes" then pulled the lever on his winch control and snapped the frame of his wrecker in half. They spent another night in the cold, that guy quit and had a friend come out with a welder to fix his truck so they could limp it home.

After hearing this, I told Rick about Joe. Joe knew right where the truck was and didn't require Rick to ride along. He went in in the morning with a friend and had the jeep at the corral by 11am. He used a ground anchor of some sort and a snatch block and winched it onto its wheels then right up the hill. He brought fluids, looked everthing over, started it up and drive the jeep out. He charged about 1/5 of what the others quoted as well. The jeep was pretty rough but still sold for $28k at auction afterwards. I'm sure some soccer mom has been driving it around for the last 10 years not knowing what happened to it... lol

:( my condolences to family and friends of Joe

I knew him through TRAL and from clean-ups, and before the Four Peaks region got closed due to the fire, we regularly saw him around in that area

I never met him, nor saw him, but my daughter had chatted him up a few times out by Sycamore Creek. She was bummed when I passed along the news :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom