Argue with me why I should keep my 60!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok some of you know me but most don't....I have had my 60 since 1997

It is SOA on new 37" MTR's
ARB's front and rear with 4.88's
Straight body for the most part

has a freshly rebuilt 350TBI with less than 100miles
rebuilt 203 to rebuilt split case

NOW why I want it gone.....

The shifter linkage is Fawked and wont shift
the t-case just leaks, I have had it apart 3 times
there is no a/c, needs lines and compressor
the dash is torn apart for new gauges but not done
the brakes wont hold bleed
Unkown if it will ever pass smog here in Cali

I have not driven it since September and really don't trust it....since I only drove it for less than a week before the t-case ate its self....due to a guy saying he knew what he was doing and rebuilt it wrong....the same guy who put the whole drivetrain together...I have just had it....I want it gone and for that matter I want all the Land Cruiser s*** gone...I feel like it is time for a new hobby....someone please save me or at least give me a reason to go one way or the other...

Thanks

Tim Coffey

Tim, I don't like to make recommendations of this type, plus you know how I feel about this.

Basically, here are the options I see for you:

1. Get out of Cruisers, take up gardening or basket weaving, then get all new friends (as I suspect, like with most of us, most current friends are Cruiserheads)

2. Decide to keep 60. Trailer it up to Mudrak's, have him give you an estimate to get up and running, then leave it there while you figure out the money issue.

3. Decide to sell it, but fix it. Same as the above, but once Mudrak gives the Cruiser back, you put it up for sale and get around $10K for it. At that point, decide to go to option 1 above, or option 5 below.

4. Decide to sell it as it, maybe get $5,500, then go to option 1 above or 5 below.

5. Remain a Cruiserhead, but buy 80 series instead. Initial investment will be high, but modifications will be relatively cheaper, truck will certainly shift, be a solid daily driver, blow cold air and yield a comfortable drive on long wheeling trips.

I know where you are because I've been there myself, especially the last few years. Frustrated, fed up with the project, tired of not wheeling and not using it. In your case, I suspect the expansion of the hobby into multiple vehicles didn't help the funding situation, one reason why I've wanted to finish the big ticket items on the 60 before even thinking about another one.

I can't imagine not being a Cruiserhead, this isn't a hobby for me, it's more of a way of life, a passion that's not going to go away. Realistically, I don't know that I could get into another hobby, but this is about you, not me.

It sounds to me like you're 90% there, but the remaining 10% is what's driving you nuts. Have you talked to some of the guys out there like Mudrak? I am not ashamed to say that when I need it, I will farm things out to the folks who make a living doing this. I am not a mechanic, I don't have the tools, the time, the knowledge or the inclination to do it myself, and worst of all, I wouldn't trust it if I did. I can do a lot of stuff on my Cruiser and do it, but I know when to step back and yield to the professionals. Sure, it can be expensive, but that's a price I'm willing to pay.

My dad, who is a financial advisor, has always preached that money needs to be moving to be effective. His point may be slightly different than mine, but to have a chunk of cash sitting there deteriorating in the driveway, might as well fix it or get rid of it.

Hope this helps, man, if I was closer I'd buy you a beer or help you wrench on it, sometimes even a dummy like me can come up with a good idea or a fresh outlook.

Cheers!

Henry Cubillan

Last edited:
Henry,

I was hoping you would post up... I know you would over some sort of rational help here :) :)

Yes I am fed up with the truck...I paid good money to get a bunch of stuff doen and didn't get it all done...I love tinkering with teh truck..I have done lots of little things and some big things...maybe I will think about just working a ton of overtyime and get Gary to fix the t-case/linkage/crossmember...aftger all I trust him....

Now I just need the power to convince my lovely wife who is/has been done with this whole monmey sink hobby for years....she was very understanding until this last go round....maybe if I sold the 45lv which I have been ponderring for a few months she would be ok with sending it up north to Gary....

Thanks and anyone else offering up ideas please post...

Tim

Are you running the H55F? I know a secret to the shifting problem that you may not. :D I think we need to start a club for cruiser heads here in So Cal that does family friendly wheeling, let me know if you're in. I just dropped my 40 off to have someone get it up and running and take care of all the kinks, working 70 hours a week on Desperate Housewives doesn't leave any wrenchin time. I say keep the LC that is closest to done and/or most reliable and dump the rest.

Ken,

It is a 700r4 and it shifts fine....the 203 and split acse are the ones causing me issues....where did you take your 40??? and what was wrong with it???

As for za famiily friendll club I am all for it...maybe it will keep my trucks from going away...I haven't really been to interested in wheelin by my self and would ike to get the wife and my srtp daughter out again...Thanks and keep me up to date on a possible club...I have been thinking about a wagon club kinda like teh norcal 80's club...I have herad a few people that might be interested..

Thanks Tim

You need to get the cruiser up and running if you have any realistic plans of selling it. Sold as-is you'll get next to nothing for it. That will make you even more bitter and angry about it.

calfj60 said:
Henry,

I was hoping you would post up... I know you would over some sort of rational help here :) :)

Yes I am fed up with the truck...I paid good money to get a bunch of stuff doen and didn't get it all done...I love tinkering with teh truck..I have done lots of little things and some big things...maybe I will think about just working a ton of overtyime and get Gary to fix the t-case/linkage/crossmember...aftger all I trust him....

Now I just need the power to convince my lovely wife who is/has been done with this whole monmey sink hobby for years....she was very understanding until this last go round....maybe if I sold the 45lv which I have been ponderring for a few months she would be ok with sending it up north to Gary....

Thanks and anyone else offering up ideas please post...

Tim

Bro, you're so close! Realistically, when are you going to complete an FJ45LV project? Why not sell that, use the funds to get the 60 back up to spec, and then take some time to wheel it, use it, enjoy it. If you find yourself wanting something else, at least then you can sell it complete and get some solid $$$ for it, which as Doc points out, you're not going to get as a non-drivable project.

Like I always say, there's time later for other Cruisers, but sometimes one has to retrench, reestablish priorities, and get the act together. Where do you think my inspiration for "Exiled" came from? Two year break, it was tough, but it had to be done.

I can't imagine that it would be TOO expensive to let a trusty Cruiser mechanic button-up the project for you, at least to get it drivable and back on the road. This was one of the biggest arguments to sell my wife on the current Cruiser project. Just get it done.

Henry,

She was the one pushing me to get the 60 out to someone to do the motor swap....I looked and spoke with several people and ended up with the guy who did it....left many ends untied and just a bad taste in her mouth....the 45 will have to go...I am stuborn and want to keep it but it really does nothing for me right now...I think if I sold it I could pay Murdak to make the 60 a runner...then I could always go back and build what I think I really need right now which is a pick up...I wanna build a 40 series based pick up with a flat bed for dirtbikes and hauling lumber and what not...do I think the decision is/has been made...the 45lv is going on teh block....Thanks for all the help....I just was crushed/kicked between the legs today....

Now I have a plan....just got do something with it...

Thanks again Tim

My pleasure, man, it's the least I could do for one of the guys that helped me out through the dark period.

I think you're on the right track, get the 60 done, get back in the game, once it's done and running well and you're not pissed at it 24/7, then you can move on to the next thing. The 45LV can go to someone that is at a different stage in life (could be monetarily or from a family/budget standpoint) and can realistically devote the $$$ and time such a project will need. Later on you can even get into another one, you never know.

Let me know if there's anything I can help with.

Cheers!

Henry

You can count on ole Henry to set you straight. Patience. Life is about patience.

Good luck to you.

Tim, Tim, Tim.

The advice about buying an 80... BAD. An 80 is not your style. Condense the fleet. Get Gary to fix the 60 with new Tcase and other chit needed. Get it running real well. Then take a long trip in it and enjoy. When you get back from the trip, you will have some experience that is 'out of shop'... then you can decide to sell it and take up sky diving, or drag racing, or collecting Benie Babies... or remain a cruiserhead.

I am getting my AC fixed, and have a duplicate set of parts - compressoor, condenser, dryer, hoses. When GARY gets done fixing the SOB next month, I would sell the parts at a reasonable price, and you can get part of your problem solved.

M

Wow....Great post.....Almost perfectly describes what's going on in my head

My 93-80 continues to leak from the head, after I had the gasket replaced in January. My rocker panel (Driver side pass door) continues to wiggle loose after every 100 miles, and my stereo system is on its last legs, blah,blah,blah

My 88-62 continues to kick ass, but that's after i've dropped $5k into over the past 24 months. Now its running so well, it almost scares me.

And then tonight I go to the Infiniti dealer to test drive a new G35 sedan with the 6-speed manual and the sport package. WOW is all I have to say. But, prior to negotiating, that's a $36k car with NO character, just nice rims.

Its a tough call, but waving to a fellow LC owner on a crowded freeway is pretty special event......

Andrew

Ok so I took some advice offered yetserday and got ahold of Gary... He got back with me a few minutes ago and founnd out the soonest he could fit me in would be spring,,,,guess I will look for plan B.....

yeah but my truck will end up with a bunch of year one resto parts madfe for a 69 Camaro....hmmmmm :beer:

Because you are just a street "ho" without it!

Plus a 350tbi - c'mon -

no argument here - keep it or chance not being cool!

Just don't buy an 80! Then you graduate to pimp

The world is safe from me buying an 80....I think the wife would be happy but I have had a 60 for so long I don't think I would be down with an 80...much more of a 60 kinda of guy...plus my fat ass fits better in a 60....

I agree with many others here. 37 SOA with a 350TBI... sounds killer. I bet any transmission mechainic other than that original guy could look at it. Especially if your stuck until spring. The dash thing is another issue. It helps when things look in order. My wifes priority for my truck is always cosmetic and mine is always power or functional. I think she'e right 40% of the time.

Fixing all the little things might get you far enough to think it's not so bad. Have it details by a local kid (50$). It also makes a big differnece.

Sorry about falling off the face of the earth, I had some health issues that involved surgery and I am almost back on my feet. The cage in the 40 just wasn't driver friendly, so it was getting a new cage and DUI distributor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom