Are you tall? Do you have knee pain or sciatica from the drivers seat angle? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OwnerCS

GOLD Star
Threads
When I try to find a post about something that I've seen solved by some of our Tacoma brethren, I come up empty in my search effort.

I recently recall another tall person noting some knee pain or sciatica from operating the accelerator pedal. I have that with my 1st gen Tacoma so bad that I had to use an office seat cushion to act as a bolster to lift up the bottom of my legs near my knees to increase the seating angle. The Tacoma does not have electric seats like the 100 series so making a seat mod is my only hope.

With the 100 series having poser seats, I can lift the seat front and lower the rear to give my knees some relief. Because of this, I've started driving the "built for off-road" 100 for road trips because it is very comfortable to drive on long trips. While I do enjoy it on trips, I sometimes wish I could increase the angle front seat tilt to give my knees more angle.

As it turns out, a 2nd and 3rd gen Tacoma owner figured out how to overcome this situation by making a product named "Seat Jacker". The product has been quite popular among tall Tacoma owners.

I have no idea if this product will work on a 100 series or if there is a need for something similar. I just want to share some information from a TacomaWorld post where the owners found a solution.

If it looks like these Seat Jackers will work on a 100 series, I would be up for giving them a try.

If the problem has been solved for 100 series owners, I will greatly appreciate a product link.

Some of our Nevada members may be familiar with Desert Does It at Truck Interior Accessories, Car Accessories | Desert Does It - https://desertdoesit.com/

1616766115113.png

1616766357405.png

1616766443853.png

These just became available for the 1st gen Tacoma. Originally they were only available for 2nd and 3rd gens. I just ordered a set.

Last edited:
I'm 6'7", I don't have any issues with the seat. I'm also coming from a Mini Cooper so this is like sitting on a leather couch.

My biggest issue is keeping my right knee from hitting the CDL switch!

I am not tall at all, but I am quite fat and do appreciate my knees slightly more raised than what the standard 100s seats allow. Really curious to see if this works out.

I'm 6'7", I don't have any issues with the seat. I'm also coming from a Mini Cooper so this is like sitting on a leather couch.

My biggest issue is keeping my right knee from hitting the CDL switch!

There you are. I remembered your post from the other day and went looking a solution.

@OwnerCS Now that you mentioned the pain, I'm probably gonna start noticing it now!

6'3" here. I haven't noticed any leg pain while driving, but if the seat cushion was tilted back some more it would be more comfortable. If those Seat Jackers work in the 100 I will have to buy a set.

Long trips in the LC aren't as bad as they are in my F250. The seat doesn't tilt in the direction I need and my knees don't do well much past about 500 miles. My typical (and I do mean typical) long drive is 975 miles one way.

So is someone installing these on their 100? Or do I need to be the gineau pig?

6'4" with some nice knee pain, never thought the seat would have an affect on that though. I always wrote it off to bum knees. I'd be interested if it would alleviate pain.

I've only ever had knee pain when driving my 40 for more than a couple hours. I always attributed it to the angle my foot has to be at to keep on the gas petal. We are currently on a long road trip with the 100 however and I had pretty bad right knee pain for the last couple hours yesterday. Went about 650 miles. Most of that with the cruise control on. I'm nowhere near tall though at 5' 6" so maybe I'm just getting old enough to have a bad knee. 🤔😳

I was gonna hit up @BenCC. I have the design figured out but hadn’t talked to him yet. I’ll get going on that.
If you're thinking a cover over the switch, @JJ_SC has a 3d printed cover over his CDL switch since he has the part time kit. It's one of the options I'm trying out. Since my knee hits it, I don't know if it'll stick around. I would like to move the button to the left of the steering wheel so its completely out of harms way, but I don't have any open spots with the RSCA and Tire Pressure buttons there. Also, once I move the button, I wonder what will go in its place? A 3d printed blank that's set back a bit could be good. I also debated looking into a bezel from a RHD cruiser that would fit there and look stock.

Funny you should link the seat jackers - I've been having issues with the seating angle in the 100 for years (first on my 04 LX, now my 04 LC) and just installed a set earlier this week. I'm 6ft, 190 with a 32 inch inseam and fondness for sitting a bit higher in the truck and closer to the steering wheel. The biggest problem for me is that the seat bottom isn't long enough to provide enough support for my thighs and then causes pain in my right knee and lower back. I had an 05 Tundra (DC, Limited trim with leather/power seats) prior to the LX - that seat/angle was perfect for me and I've been chasing it ever since. I figured maybe tilting the LC seat back a bit would provide a bit more support.

I ordered a set of the '2003-2021 4Runners, GX and FJ' seat jackers thinking that the bolt pattern might match up, and received them on Monday. They are definitely high quality pieces that look and feel very solid and sturdy. The door side fit perfectly, but the guide tab/pin on the console side doesn't completely match up so it's not a direct bolt in. After thinking about it for a bit, I went ahead and filed the pin off (console side only) and finished bolting everything up.

I'm still playing around trying to find the best seating position and haven't had a chance to drive more than a few miles at a time so I can't give a great deal of feedback yet. But so far, it does feel like there is a bit more support for my legs which seems to take some of the pressure off of my lower back.

I'm 6' 4", and have put over 200K on two different 100 series. Driven cross country several times. Never had knee problems, but I think it's not just height, it proportions. My inseam isn't terribly long, and my biggest problem is headroom. Would you lose headroom with a setup like this? One of the problems is that angle, height, and forward/backward aren't all independent...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom