1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you *really* using 2 sets of tires....?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by e9999, Jul 2, 2005.

1. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

well, there go my smart (?) plans...!

had it all figured out, I was gonna use my 275 LTXs for city driving and put on the MT/Rs for wheeling. Great plan. Saving gas and thread in town and having real tires to avoid punctures out there...

Well, not so surprisingly in retrospect, this ain't working for me... It just takes too much time and effort to switch back and forth all the time... (and the LTXs look weird on there too... :D ), so the MT/Rs have been on for a while now...

anybody out there really alternating? how long does it take you to change all of them?

so folks, before you go that route, be realistic about what you will really do...

oh well... live and not learn, that's me... :)

edit: OK, to clarify things for people living upside down and driving on the not right side of the roads, I meant tires and wheels *together*....! :D

2. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

I have X-Terrains for winter and BFG ATs for summer. Takes about 15 minutes to change them over.

Just turn on the compressor and grab the gun.

My wife also has 2 mounted sets for her 4Runner.

3. OZCAL

OZCAL

My plan, when the budget allows, is a second set of wheels and tires altogether.

4. e9999

man, you are fast, it takes me 30 mins just to change the plugs... errr..... wait that was another thread.... :D

5. e9999

sheesh, OK, I didn't mean tires, I meant tires and wheels, I ain't changing just the tires every weekend, that's for sure.... :D

6. miked

miked

when i lived in buffalo, as a kid, i was the one who had to change the tires from 'studded snow' to 'all season radial' on the family car twice a year. (ah man.. is it april already?). i remember standing in front of the hydraulic floor jack display at sears. i was thinking ' hellooo my friend'. next year i was saying the same thing to the 1/2 inch air ratchet display.

these days, people raise their eyebrows and look over the top of a set of imaginary glasses when i tell them i rotate my tires every 10K.

7. crushers

crushers post ho

yep, 2 sets for me as well, i switch when going wheeling...

8. OZCAL

OZCAL

Thank God - when Landtank said he did his in 15 minutes, I should have suspected that's what you meant. I just assumed he was former pit-crew or something like that...

9. Riley

Riley

I'm running 2 sets Eric. But I do find a pain in ass to swap. Takes me about an hour with the biggest pain being the spare because of the OEM spare crank thingy.

What I do is put on the MTRs in the spring for wheeling season (aka fishing season) and leave them on for about 6 weeks or so. Same thing in the fall. Plus any extra trips like Moab. I don't change them every weekend.

Now I'm thinking about buying a complete second car (really 3rd car) just to save gas and wear and tear on the 80, I perhaps wouldn't run two sets. Just use the 80 for wheeling and leave the MTRs on all the time.

Rather than having street tires, I'm thinking about just having a street car.

I hate the noise of the MTRs for everyday driving though.

10. Land Speeder

Land Speeder InstaH8R

Media:
    Albums:
    Not only did I use to run two sets, I left the set not in use at a friends house (I live in a 3rd floor apt). I would drive over and change them, took 30 minutes to change the sets. When I went to 33's, I only have BFG AT's

11. zebrabeefj40

zebrabeefj40

I run Swamper TSL's w/ internal beadlocks on heavy steel wheels on the trail. While I love the look of these tires on the 40 they are so out of balance/out'a round that I can't wait to toss the BFG AT/KO's back on the truck after a wheeling weekend. BFG's also pull winter driving duty when I toss the plow back on the Cruiser.

Nick

12. dieseldog

dieseldog She idles just fine . . .

Yep. For my BJ-42, I have a set of 33/10.5/R15 BFG KO's mounted up on alloys that are used for around town and such. I also have a full set of 33/10.5/R15 Interco Thornbirds mounted up on white wagon wheel spokes for off-roading. No problems on this end.

13. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

Winter tires on separate winter rims. I dunno how these guys are doing it so fast. I have a floor jack, 3 stall garage and a 4-way and it still takes me close to an hour by the time all the tools are put away. And I cheat and lift an axle at a time, too. Anyhow, I'll switch severall times during the year, because some times its a mild winter and then we head off on a long trip where I wouldn't want to be w/o the winter tires. I've had two sets of wheels/tires for all cars we've had for 11 years now. If you're switching just tires, go get a set of used Tundra steel wheels for 80 clams to use offroading.

DougM

14. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    No change. Run the M/T's year round on the 80. After running Bias-Ply Swampers year round, regular M/T's seem smooth as glass.

15. firetruck41

firetruck41

I was happy with the 285/75/16 MT/Rs for year round use.

IDAHODOUG- do you use studs for your winter tires or just good snow/ice tires?

16. Tooth Fairy

Tooth Fairy

If I had the $ to buy two sets of wheels and tires I would. I'd still run the 852's on stock rims for everyday use and then a set of beadlocked steel rims with 36" TSL's for the trail.

17. brian

brian SILVER Star

was, till i put the "extra" set on the 60.
    40 has the 9.50's
    60 has the 12.50's
    guess i need to pick up those 10.50's i was thinking about.

18. turbocruiser

turbocruiser SILVER Star

Wow, an hour, even half hour seems so long for this. It takes fifteen minutes at an efficient but comfortable pace: Jack both back wheels up with single floor jack on diff (slightly unbalanced but it works), put jack stands under rear axle. Jack each side of front axle up (too unbalanced using the diff as lift point IMHO) put jack stands on front axle. Get the gun, remove all lugs at highest setting. Swap tires, put lugs on at lowest setting. Lift and drop off jackstands, torque to 76 pounds. Leave the hub cap crappers off, put yer spare in the rig for more clearance. Done.

It helps to park the rig in the center of the garage, it also helps to store two wheels on one wall upright and two wheels on the other wall upright that way you just roll and replace and put the regulars in the same spots the wheelers go. Also, drop the spare the night prior to wheeling when you are packing up the recovery gear and such. Lastly, instead of putting up all the stands and jack and gun and wrench, just lay the stands forward on floor, put the gun and wrench off to the side, that way you drive out of the garage and drive back in at the end of the day in the same spot, jack up, stand up and replace to regular wheels/tires at end of trip. This saves time coming and going.

I think if the people who are taking longer look at the process they are actually spending most of their time rolling the wheelers from some out of the way place, dropping the spare, consuming some sixes, etc. HTH.

19. crushers

crushers post ho

if you have a compressor and 2 floor jacks then you can do a set of 4 swap in under 15 mins at a leisuraly pace.
    this is also good for a quick precheck before wheeling to see if there are any leaks and the conditions of the pads...
    cheers

20. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

i was thinking about it, when i get my swampers or similar, but have noticed with my bro's claws i just leave them on... if i'm in a hurry i can do all 5 (tailgate mounted spare) in 15 minutes with a + brace and a bottle jack...