Are these seat covers original? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1978 NAS FJ40 with cloth seat covers. They appear to be original but I’ve only ever seen vinyl. Has anyone seen anything like these???
835D86E8-F300-42AA-A0E3-F60AB60FD76A.jpeg
BE03C4E5-2D60-4AA3-A762-75593EE7208F.jpeg

Jump seats are all gray vinyl. The covers were on the vehicle when I purchased it in 2003. While likely not original they’re pretty well executed.

Jump seats are all gray vinyl. The covers were on the vehicle when I purchased it in 2003. While likely not original they’re pretty well executed.

the vinyl should have been black in 1978
it didn't change to grey until the 1979 change over

back in the day it was easy to find shops who would do quality work.

the vinyl should have been black in 1978
it didn't change to grey until the 1979 change over

back in the day it was easy to find shops who would do quality work.
Unfortunately as everything is being contracted off shore, trades people who are masters are a dying breed.

Making covers like those would be very easy for a skilled upholsterer. Compared to some of the side layer foam in place wheelchair seats I’ve upholstered with seamless (Flat) neoprene, it would be crawling across a smooth floor with no obstacles.

I couldn’t find a side layer seat picture… but here’s a regular seat example.
DDF1CB70-D023-4B9B-9201-B4BA5EBA985E.jpeg

Now imagine covering this with a flat sheet of neoprene with no seams under the client… and no areas of tenting. It makes upholstering a 40 seat look like a walk in the park.

fj60 seats perhaps? Ive seen them stripes but brown. Very similar to late model 40 but came in textiles

fj60 seats perhaps? Ive seen them stripes but brown. Very similar to late model 40 but came in textiles

not 60 series, they had a different stripe pattern and it went across the seat not long way on the seat
also the headrests are mid 70's which are a different post spacing than later 1979+ seats

40 series seats came in cloth in other markets.

But the OP ones doesn't look like those.

Thank you for the responses. I assumed they were not stock but looked nice and were on the vehicle when I purchased in 2003.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom