Are these front doors repairable without lower patch panels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up front doors from my 78 today from the media blaster. Are these repairable without the lower patch panels? They are in great shape besides this rust.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Best to do outer and Inner you already have some holes in the outer by the looks of it
And it really shucks to have all the time and money into a paint job
Only to have that rust Pitt break through and pimple up your paint job

First, I think I would take the doors back to the blasters and ask them to finish the job they started--lots of non metal stuff still clinging on there--it will get in the way of the patch pieces Brian suggested--

Yeah, they need more blasting to remove the old adhesive and I'd be looking at welding the correct lowers in also. Those are pretty toast and guaranteed they will rust through your new paint.

The problem with the blaster trying to clean the seam sealer out they concentrate the blasting
In that area and risk warping the sheet metal
Few min with a wire wheel or strip it disk
As for making patches
Usually the replacement panel is cheaper and you wind up with a better repair
Than the hours to make the patches
I'm making my own hammer forms to make door bottoms because I have several sets of doors to fix
So it's worth investing the time if it was a set I would just buy the panels

I made my own patches and if I had to do it over again I would just buy the patch panel. I learned that my time is worth more than $5 per hour and I didn't need the satisfaction of knowing I was a skilled tin knocker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom