Are there better "headers" to replace the factory exhaust manifolds? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wondering if there is a vendor that makes a set of aftermarket "headers" for the FJ80's yet? These would replace the factory exhaust manifolds and really would allow the engine to breathe much better.

I've searched around on the net, but have not really come across anything. I found someone on eBay who appears to manufacture a set in Austrailia for older Cruisers, but, there is no real picture of the part, just some CAD picture...

What about hi-flow catalytic converters or larger diameter exhaust piping? Anything avaialble for the FJ80's?

Sorry if I'm asking "performance oriented" questions for a vehicle that is normally used for daily puttering or trail riding... but my mind is performance oriented being a Mustang Enthusiast... LOL! :grinpimp: If there are headers, hi-flow cats and larger exhaust piping, just utilizing those pieces alone would really allow the FJ80/FJZ80 engines to perform better and more efficiently instead of being restricted as they are with the stock OEM exhaust setup.

Phil,
I, too ,have been interested in finding headers for my FJ80. I came across this website. http://www.tpi4x4.com/05-lcHeaders.html
I don't know anything about them or thier products. You are not going to find much support on this board for aftermarket headers. Evidently there was a company that produced some headers awhile back that were terrible. They didn't seal correctly and they got so hot they fried wires.
From your sig. line I see why you are looking for headers. I had a 93 Cobra but sold it a few years ago. You are not going to find the same level of aftermarket support for LC's as you do for Mustangs.
If you come across some good headers please do a write-up on them. You are not the only performance enthusiast on this board. I think it's safe to say that anybody on this board with a 91-92 FJ80 is looking for more performance.

Brad

Cobra, yes, you may open up some top end by removing some exhaust restriction but it will be at the cost of low end torque on these vehicles. Unless you are looking for more passing power, I'd stick with keeping a nice torquey low end to get these slugs moving to begin with.

lowtops said:
Phil,
I, too ,have been interested in finding headers for my FJ80. I came across this website. http://www.tpi4x4.com/05-lcHeaders.html
I don't know anything about them or thier products. You are not going to find much support on this board for aftermarket headers. Evidently there was a company that produced some headers awhile back that were terrible. They didn't seal correctly and they got so hot they fried wires.
From your sig. line I see why you are looking for headers. I had a 93 Cobra but sold it a few years ago. You are not going to find the same level of aftermarket support for LC's as you do for Mustangs.
If you come across some good headers please do a write-up on them. You are not the only performance enthusiast on this board. I think it's safe to say that anybody on this board with a 91-92 FJ80 is looking for more performance.

Brad

Hey Brad!

Thanks for the reply! 1993 Cobras are great, I had two friend of mine who ordered and bought theirs brand new in 93 - 1 red 1 teal. They have since sold them, but they were excellent Mustangs!

Back to the LC headers -

This is what I found on eBay, but as I said, it's some Austrailian company and there is not a picture of the real part, just a CAD design. Plus, it seems the header is not for the FJ80's... ? The design of this header is what I had in mind...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4561842732

I did look at the link you supplied. That set of ceramic coated headers was interesting, but it reminds me of the equal length "pretzel" shorties for Mustangs which are a real PIA when having to change plugs. Although, on the FJ80's, the plugs are on one side of the block and the manifolds on the opposite side - so maybe those shorties would work without issues...?

The exhaust piping on the FJ80/FJZ80's needs some improvement, it's so small and restrictive. I was thinking maybe 2" piping from the manifolds back would really improve things. I know there are aftermarket cats (or a single cat) that could be used in place of the restrictive stockers... Since the LC only has a single exhaust out the back, it should be pretty easy to modify the system.

:beer:

LX_TREME said:
Hmmm... Are you sure :rolleyes: search more.... ;) you going to find them :D

um... any hints??

;) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom