Are there any short snorkels? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey quys just a quick question, I'm about to place an order for an LC76 and I have a minor issue. The diesel version comes with a snorkel but my buildings underground parking lot has a height limit of 205cm. The LC76 with snorkel is 195cm I believe which leaves me very little room for larger tires and a possible lift.

Are there any snorkels that are lower than the roof?

If I can't find a solution to this I'm going to have to get the petrol version which I dont mind but sady doesn't come with diff lockers.

thanks!

I would just get the diesel and re-do the fender (well worth the effort for the lockers if the engine doesn't matter). Best snorkel in my opinion is no snorkel.

Can I actually order the car without the snorkel in that case? I tought diesels should have snorkels, didn't think kI could do without it.

Can I actually order the car without the snorkel in that case? I tought diesels should have snorkels, didn't think kI could do without it.

No idea on the new LC diesels. I am sure someone here can answer that one.

That really depends on how the dealer orders his landcruisers. In Australia you usually pay extra for a snorkel. I wouldnt be buying a petrol landcruiser because you cant get a diesel without a snorkel.
Donaldons make a range of materials to assist you in making a snorkel, tube, elbows, filter heads, filter box etc.

These Safari snorkels are only a few inches above the roof. They make one for the 76 series V8 diesel

But if you only have 100mm spare, a lift and bigger tyres will eat that up. You need a new apartment block.

1583548113679.png

Snorkel talk

That really depends on how the dealer orders his landcruisers. In Australia you usually pay extra for a snorkel. I wouldnt be buying a petrol landcruiser because you cant get a diesel without a snorkel.
Donaldons make a range of materials to assist you in making a snorkel, tube, elbows, filter heads, filter box etc.

These Safari snorkels are only a few inches above the roof. They make one for the 76 series V8 diesel

But if you only have 100mm spare, a lift and bigger tyres will eat that up. You need a new apartment block.

View attachment 2231555

hahaha but I like my apartment a lot 🙈

I’ll give my dealer a call tomorrow, in Kuwait we are really limited with options and from what I saw on the ordering sheet, the snorkel is standard with the diesel but I’ll double check that.

Is the top portion of the snorkel a continuous taper or is the diameter consistent near the top. If the diameter is consistent near the top, wouldn't removing the cap, cutting a small portion and replacing the cap be a viable solution to lower the overall height?
image.jpeg

They are all tapered

This one looks nice and low TJM Airtec

1583585727601.png

I was hoping to find one similar to the snorkels on the new defender which don't rise higher than the roof line. But spent the weekend googling LC snorkels and couldn't find anything similar.

a656bd10-d344-11e9-b65f-2bd8512f6dbe.jpeg

Hello,

Snorkels are supposed to be located high up to deliver somewhat cleaner (read less dust) air to the engine. A blessing and a curse, I suppose.

I have seen one or two 1HZ-powered 70 Series without snorkel. This seems the exception rather than the rule. On the other hand, gasoline/petrol models may or may not have it.

Time to look for a new department with a bigger garage? Or a garage with enough height clearance?

Juan

I was hoping to find one similar to the snorkels on the new defender

Do they even suck air in? They might just be a lump of plastic glued to the body to go with the fake spray on mud :grinpimp:

If ya gotta have your Cruiser and ya gotta have indoor parking with limited roof space... just pull the damn top off of the snorkel and call it good. If you ever actually need the top in place, pop it back on. Takes a few seconds. If you live in Kuwait, I doubt that you are doing water crossings or even splashing enough for the top to affect anything. You do not see monsoonal rain there either. Take the top off and don't look back.

Mark...

Why don't you just remove the snorkel cap when going into parking? It'll be easier, cleaner and you don't have to cut your 500$ plastic tube.

I assume your LC isn't your daily driver if covered garages are a problem anyway...

Start with this... It's stainless steel.

VDJ.jpg

Modify it like this but at the desired height.
Related image

That is a first for me. Seeing two snorkels on one vehicle, as if one isn't enough. :)

I am guessing that Benz somehow has two air filter cans.

That is a first for me. Seeing two snorkels on one vehicle, as if one isn't enough. :)

I am guessing that Benz somehow has two air filter cans.

It is not all that uncommon, I've seen a few (very highly modified) Aussie rigs fitted with twin snorkels. I'm guessing they have performance mods and need more air..

Why don't you just remove the snorkel cap when going into parking? It'll be easier, cleaner and you don't have to cut your 500$ plastic tube.

I assume your LC isn't your daily driver if covered garages are a problem anyway...

i'm planning on swapping my current daily (an FJ Cruiser) with it so won't be practical to keep removing it. Dealer got back to me, I can't order diesel withot snorkel so going to go with petrol and then install aftermarket lockers. Would come out cheaper than going the diesel route anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom