Are the gold emblems and T O Y O T A grille trim pieces anything special? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Twin Ports of Superior, WI and Duluth, MN
So, I was reading the care and feeding card that came with the truck regarding the gold plated emblems and it says they used real gold. Now, I am not worried that there might be any real value in the weight I might somehow recover, but I am just checking to be sure these aren't some rare option.

I am thinking about switching them to the pewter color that I painted my wheels but I am also considering changing both the wheels and the trim pieces to a root beer or bronze color to compliment the gold paint and brown interior.

Thoughts?

Also, anyone else go brown with their gold 80's? Got any pics?

The value is nil and the gold looks stupid :p
The gold looks super dumb. It's the same with all brass home fixtures people went nuts over in the 90's for some reason. Teal and brass. Yuck.

I think the gold paint would look better with a different accent color.

The gold came on my 1996 and I kept it. I like the gold looks good against the Red. The kids in my neighborhood and my son said I should keep it. So perhaps the gold is making a comeback.

The gold came on my 1996 and I kept it. I like the gold looks good against the Red. The kids in my neighborhood and my son said I should keep it. So perhaps the gold is making a comeback.
Gold and dark red is a better combo than gold and more gold though. It just looks tacky in my opinion. Frankly, I am not sure the graphite color looks right either. I want to see what a slightly metallic brown looks like.

I have gold accents on the truck too. The secret is to wear a large golden wind-up alarm clock on a necklace and the truck will look great

... in comparison...

works for me!

Yeah the gold option was about a $600 option in 1996 (My truck came with it also). Because of the high value of the gold, I now only have half of an emblem on the rear hatch (thanks F'in tweakers!)

My front emblem has most of the gold worn off, and I am considering painting over mine as well. I'll either buy new emblems or paint the front one gold (or neon green or something stupid to stand out)

There is no appreciable value in the 0.0005" thick plating that came on it when it was new.

You mean...... they're not........
SOLID GOLD?
Maybe not from the factory, but I am sure someone in the world had them swapped for solid gold ones as a hedge against oil prices or marital problems. The trouble is figuring out which ones. I usually shake my sellers down enough to know where they keep the good scotch and the rest of their portfolio. So far, none of them are in on it.

What someone needs to do is make up a set of reproduction Black Pearl emblems.

The letters/emblems appear to have the black pearl effect on them, but they are encased in clear plastic. So it would take more than a can of black pearl paint to reproduce the effect/look I think.

Post of pics of your failures & success

Attachments

• Make Black Pearl Emblems.pdf
    166.7 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
FWIW, Toyota sells an antenna nut in chrome to replace the gold one. I think I paid under ten bucks at my dealership. I deleted the gold right after purchase. Not to my liking.

It's funny. When I was younger, I hated the gold. Now that '96 gold is starting to look good to me again, and flat black is looking tired.

Gold here...like it...polished regularly :flipoff2:

my friends and I have always called it the "taste-free gold trim package." Real popular on the 1st gen Avalon and Solara. :hillbilly:

If life gives you lemons paint that s*** gold.....then paint it black real quick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom