Are the 3FE and 2FE radiatior fans the same? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know if the 3FE and 2FE radiator fans are the same? I have a guy willing to sell me a 2FE fan but wasn't sure it is the same.

Does anyone know if the 3FE and 2FE radiator fans are the same? I have a guy willing to sell me a 2FE fan but wasn't sure it is the same.

Never was a 2FE must mean a 2F ;)...... and I don't believe they are the same but i'm not 100% on that

Thanks.

I was a bit confused. Tools R Us has been recommending a 3FE fan for superchargers. I know the FJ80 had the 3FE and I thought one of the 60 series had the 3FE. Must be the 62.

Howdy! Is this to be used as an upgrade for a supercharged 80? Toiyota P/N is 16361-61020, special discount price around $85 when I got mine. It should have small fins on the side of each blade, and NO fan ring on the OD connecting the outer ends of the blades. I have heard conflicting reports about whether it is a late 2F or early 3FE. John

Plastic ages, if the plan is to tune the clutch and work the fan harder, I would think that a new fan would be good insurance?

Thanks for the replies and information.

There are a few threads with talk of the 3FE fan being better on SC's rigs so I thought I would give it a shot.

Anyone been running one for a while?

Thanks for the replies and information.

There are a few threads with talk of the 3FE fan being better on SC's rigs so I thought I would give it a shot.

Anyone been running one for a while?

Yes, several, including inkpot. They make a good airflow improvement over anything else that fits. In the past, with desert conditions, it was a choice of, watching the temp climb or backing out of the throttle on mountain climbs. With the 3FE fan, temps are much more stable, can make climbs and still maintain acceptable temps.

Howdy! Is this to be used as an upgrade for a supercharged 80? Toiyota P/N is 16361-61020, special discount price around $85 when I got mine. It should have small fins on the side of each blade, and NO fan ring on the OD connecting the outer ends of the blades. I have heard conflicting reports about whether it is a late 2F or early 3FE. John

The FJ80 3FE fan is Part number 16361-61050 and list price is $135.99. My original one has smooth blades, no support ring, no serrations.

The 16361-61020, Aisin part# FNT-022, is the FJ-60/62 7 blade fan with the little air deflectors on the blades. The 16361-61050, Aisin part# FNT-018, is the FJ80, 8 blade fan with the smooth ends. The users here are running the earlier fan, ether should work.

The 16361-61020, Aisin part# FNT-022, is the FJ-60/62 7 blade fan with the little air deflectors on the blades. The 16361-61050, Aisin part# FNT-018, is the FJ80, 8 blade fan with the smooth ends. The users here are running the earlier fan, ether should work.
Not sure about the spacing to radiator on the newer ones, but on my 61020 fan, it moves back over 1/2", keeping the blades closer to the original position in the shroud. When I first bought the rig, I made a custom wrench to fit on the S/C belt tensioner. It's just a long piece of 1/2" square tube, tapered on the end, with a 15?mm socket welded on. L C Phil had told me about the nightmare of running without that belt, so I wanted to make sure I had a spare, AND a way to get it on. Worked good with the S/C fan, but the 61020 reduces the amount of room between the fan hub and the tension pulley. I had to modify/weld/grind/ more to make it work. I would think there should be a way to slip something like a straight-head pipe wrench over the body of the tensioner to mount a belt, but I haven't figured that out yet. I'm curious how others get this belt on/off. John

I see no difference in temp. or cooling and I have each blade. Mike

I have seen a lot of the '60s with the "finned" fan. I have seen the smooth fan on 3FEs as well. More than a couple of times and on rigs that give absolutely no sign of every having anything other than regular maintenance.

I have swapped back and forth an seen no difference in operating temperatures. I can't see an F series engine with OEM radiattor being stressed enough for the difference in the fan to be detectable.

I use the finned one by choice... mainly because I have fans on hand. I would not spend money to buy one if I had an undamaged smooth fan on the rig.

I have never seen a OEM plastic fan fail due to age. Only from impact.

Mark...

Mine have never failed except in a wreck. Better to replace the fluid in the clutch. Im not sure what the group likes the best. MIke

... I have never seen a OEM plastic fan fail due to age. Only from impact.

Mark...

I have seen several fail, not a pretty sight, lots of carnage! By far the most common is the ring fan. Most likely our climate has something to do with it, likely ages them earlier? Translucent plastic fans turn white from stress, so some indication of condition can be seen visually. Look for whiter lines/areas around blade roots, hub, etc.

I have seen several fail, not a pretty sight, lots of carnage! By far the most common is the ring fan. Most likely our climate has something to do with it, likely ages them earlier? Translucent plastic fans turn white from stress, so some indication of condition can be seen visually. Look for whiter lines/areas around blade roots, hub, etc.

Some time ago, John Hocker reported that his wife had one let go at highway speed. Made a real mess of things in the engine bay. Not certain if it was a 3FE or 1FZFE.

cool reading , I'll look into getting a new fan for mine as the ring fan dosnt look like it fits very well plus its time for a fan clutch upgrade :cool:

I'm running the same fan as Inkpot and it seems to work well, maintaining acceptable temps in the 100+ deg weather here in Dallas. Certainly moves more air that the ringed fan that comes with the supercharger.

called up Cdan for some parts and ordered up a new fj62 fan for my SCed FZJ80 and a part for the Cruiser :princess: DD Scion TC as packing tape holding on the rear hatch handle :hillbilly:has lost its luster after 6 months of "yeah I'll fix it ":whoops:

Once it gets in I'm going to pull the fan clutch and give it a fluid tuneup too.
I may just put the fan on 1st and see if theres a change in temp then do the clutch later as I still have the old one I took off when I popped the SC on 50K ago to play with

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom