Are sway bars worth keeping? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

snapped my extended swaybar end links first time i wheeled my OME setup. Replaced those, snapped the next set. never reinstalled another, dont miss it.
How hard were you wheeling? Just snap the rear or front and rear?

I've been daily-driving SOA hj61s on 35s or 37s for over a decade without swaybars front or rear. Perhaps I don't know what I'm missing, but I don't feel the need for extra support. I also drive my truck like it's an SOA-lifted truck on 37s, so there's that too. and it gets some gnarly articulation on the trail, which I like.

Sway bars on a leaf sprung vehicle do not act like they do on say an 80 series that has coils and actually really benefits from them for road use.

After a week wheeling in Co the front bracket broke on mine, while a friend broke a mount on his rear.

There seems to be a mixed pot here with keeping them on or not. Best advice is try it both ways and choose what works best for you.

I’m sure Toyota did no research and had no justification for adding a rear sway bar.
Toyota also added chrome drip rails, snake blinders and mud flaps. In my experience, the front sway bar on a SUA 60, adds a slightly more passenger-car-like-ride on pavement. YMMV.

I took my front sway bar off for wheeling and noticed a big difference. But after a while, I got tired of the body roll all the time. My dad was driving around my truck and complaining about how scary it was to drive. So I put a sway bar back on, and it handles so much better on road. The only thing that I noticed is that I flex past the point where the sway bar links will click and pop from the stress. So I have to tighten it up from time to time. Before you say it they are the extended ones from cruiser outfitters.

How hard were you wheeling? Just snap the rear or front and rear?
in my mind, not hard at all.

like a 5 out of 8.

just snapped the front end links.

and yes, I had the extended sway endlinks from Cruiser outfitters too. while extended, they still restricted flex enough to snap like a twig.

OME medium fronts and heavy rear springs.

I noticed noises here and there but the whole thing is a pop and clunk fest when wheeling.

I’ve been using the extended links up front for over 50,000 miles no with no issues.

2234DCF7-FA6B-490A-8AF9-5DE218DF6175.jpeg

Ironically this thread is making me more interested in adding a rear sway bar to my 60. I run a pretty large RTT and I think it would make a big difference.

I noticed a positive improvement instantly. Air bags are a good option if you don’t have the frame holes or the axle brackets for the 62 sway bar to be a drop in.

OME 005 springs, bilstein shocks, poly bushings, f&r sways and e-rated skinny tires at 50psi....I think mine is as civilized as a tractor can get.

and I don’t even thing that the e rated tires are that stiff...

Ironically this thread is making me more interested in adding a rear sway bar to my 60. I run a pretty large RTT and I think it would make a big difference.
I think the more weight you're carrying and the more top heavy you are, the more they'll help on the road and light trails. This has made me decide to go ahead and put my front one back on at least. It handles well enough without them that I can easily remove before leaving the house if I plan to do any wheeling.

Anyone with a 62 want to toss their rear sway bar? Possibly in the back of my 60? 🤣

Not sure why my extended sway endlinks snapped so easily, but i've done it twice, with the correct parts and install.

maybe my OME's just flex slightly more than others. I do have a slightly extended shackle on the front

Not sure why my extended sway endlinks snapped so easily, but i've done it twice, with the correct parts and install.

maybe my OME's just flex slightly more than others. I do have a slightly extended shackle on the front
Why not disconnect prior to wheeling. It seems to be more appropriate.

Versus snapping and replacing? As I understood the case to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom