Are sway bars worth keeping? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The other day I had to drop the gas tank for some other issues, but like everything with cruisers one issue leads to another. I had to remove the rear sway bar mounts to get the tank out and that’s when I figure out why one sway mount had a hole in it and the other didn’t. PO must have removed the mount and had issues with studs one side either spinning or stripping. They drilled a hole and replaced the original stud with a bolt (see pics). That’s all fine and dandy with me, besides maybe some lost of strength. However I have no idea how they tighten the lower bolt. I couldn’t get a wrench or socket on it. And when installing the other good mount the threads stripped.

Now I have three options, removed the studs on the other one and use bolts like the PO. Or grab some used ones from a parts rig. And option three, not install the sway bar.

Im kinda leaning toward just not running a sway bar. I drove around yesterday and honestly didn’t notice much difference.

Looking for input if the sway bars are even worth the hassle.

51A858DD-9CF4-49E6-B938-186EEAEA48A2.jpeg

They make a noticeable difference when driving on twisty roads or in the wind at faster speeds. If all you do is drive backroads and crawl around in the woods you won't notice them

Yeah I mean I live on the side of the blue ridge mountains. Twisty back roads and highway driving is pretty much all I get into. One huge factor is the wife drives the cruiser a lot. So idk how she’ll feel with them off.

I might leave it off for a bit longer and make a decision.

I removed the front sway bar from my FJ60 and didn’t notice any difference. It’s not a rally car.

Front sway bar mount broke from an offroad trip so i just removed it as well as the rear. I made a 2000 mile trip after that with no issues or really noticed anything different.

If you have a roof top tent or rack then i can see the need for them.

I’m sure Toyota did no research and had no justification for adding a rear sway bar.
I'm sure one day you'll have something of value to contribute too, maybe.

@poptart I'm running my 62 with OME and my sway bars haven't been reinstalled yet. I do plan to do it though because like was said earlier you do notice on twisting roads and highway speeds in windy conditions if they're not there. Now that they've been cleaned up, coated and I have extended links for them they'll be going back on once I have some free time that isn't taken up by more urgent maintenance.

Long story short: do you NEED them? Not really. Do you WANT them? Depending on your application, probably.

I took mine out with OME lift, extended shackles and an AAL up front. No other bumpers or weight added on truck. I enjoy the amount I can toss around on curvy roads, body roll is sufficient for the amount of flex I can get without having to undo swaybars. I've never found a need to reinstall sways. I do have 2" spacers all around with 12" wide tires so that is another piece of information that could sway my opinion. I ran previously with stock wheels and 33x10.5s with 2" spacers and thoroughly enjoyed whipping it around the 550 in Colorado and even found myself pulling away from 80s with similar wheels/tires/lift with sways.

A rear sway bar isn't needed and it will strangle articulation off road.
The front sway bar does a lot (of good) depending on how flexible the front springs are. Stiff springs won't flex much so sway bar not as effective. Flexy springs will flex a lot so front sway bar helps a lot in that circumstance.
I removed my front sway bar for a bit and the cruiser was a more dangerous to drive and not nice to drive.- swayed a lot more in turns.

I should add I have OME heavy front and rear. With currently no real weight. I have a ARB bumper but I haven’t found a good deal on a 8274 yet. Plan on eventually getting a 4x4labs rear bumper whenever the house stops sucking up my funds for that. So as it sits the suspension is stiffer than needed right now.

Before I changed my springs I wanted a rear sway bar. But now that I have an OME set up I feel fine but I haven’t driven in the mountains yet.

I should add I have OME heavy front and rear. With currently no real weight. I have a ARB bumper but I haven’t found a good deal on a 8274 yet. Plan on eventually getting a 4x4labs rear bumper whenever the house stops sucking up my funds for that. So as it sits the suspension is stiffer than needed right now.
Same suspension I have, and like @mattressking I have a much wider wheelbase that helps a great deal with stability. The front bar will go back on first for me when I get to it, then afterwards I'll try the back in addition and if I like it I'll keep it installed.

I added a sway bar from a 62 to my late 60. I really like what it did for the truck. When I complete my 80 series axle swap, I’m adding brackets to that to retain it for on road use. It made a huge difference for emergency lane changes. Way more composed.

When I do serious wheeling, the rear will be disconnected. I’ve never disconnected the front and also never had an issue.

Also, I found those brackets from Trail Tailor. He’s been taking them off with all the coil conversions. It might be worth talking to him for a used set.

My rig has always been "The ultimate shuttle vehicle" for my whitewater affliction, as opposed to a serious rockcrawler. My wife (and anyone following close behind us) used to freak-out in the mountains until I installed the rear sway bar (with extended links for OME) (Canada but not the US?). Depends on your application.

I’ll expand my answer a bit because sway bars are like shock absorbers and springs. There are more than just one setup. The factory sway bar may not contribute much to the handling of the vehicle. We as owners change the wheels, tires, springs, bushings, shackles, shock absorbers, brakes etc all to improve or modify how the truck behaves on the road or off. Sway bars are really another component that can be used to help change the handling characteristics. A vehicle like the 60/62 likely needs a much stiffer sway bar to help counter the rolling characteristics of the heavier body. Running one in the front or the rear will further affect the handling....often tending towards under or oversteer depending on stiffness and position. Or run one front and rear. Usually sway bars limit or slow suspension travel and people either take them off or have quick disconnect links so they get their articulation back when they go off-roading.

so short answer is the factory bar may offer little performance difference especially if you have already modified the suspension and wheels and tires.

snapped my extended swaybar end links first time i wheeled my OME setup. Replaced those, snapped the next set. never reinstalled another, dont miss it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom