Are pre disk brake rims a different size? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there a size difference between the rims from a FJ with drum brakes and a FJ with disk brakes? I want to sell a set of rims I have but dont know what year FJ they came off of. Is there any difference between the two? Thank you in advance, David

I think they are all 15X5.5in rims and look the same. I sold a set and they had the date stamped on them, check to see if yours do.

stinkyfj60 said:
I think they are all 15X5.5in rims and look the same. I sold a set and they had the date stamped on them, check to see if yours do.

I bought them. I mounted some 34X10.5 LTB's. Just need to put the lift on and I am ready to roll.

Vince

They are not EXACTLY the same as others have pointed out. The drum rims are riveted and they have a smaller inner diameter than disc wheels (sort of a 1" step on the inside).

Has anyone heard of updating the old rims by welding the center to the rim, grinding down the rivets and then welding the rivet bodies to the rim? I only have 2 late rims, and 3 earlies - thought a welding job might do the trick. (I'd have my neighbor, a professsional welder, do it of course). When I was a kid people used to make offset or reverse rims like that all the time.

I think that's a pretty common mod. A fully welded rim should be stouter than riveted as well. I'm planning on doing mine as soon as I find a disc front to swap in.

jim45r said:
Has anyone heard of updating the old rims by welding the center to the rim, grinding down the rivets and then welding the rivet bodies to the rim? I only have 2 late rims, and 3 earlies - thought a welding job might do the trick. (I'd have my neighbor, a professsional welder, do it of course). When I was a kid people used to make offset or reverse rims like that all the time.

Are you sure that's enough clearance? It seemed when I tried to mount the drum rims over the mini disc conversion I couldn't get the rim on enough before the "step" hit the caliper.

I think the 4 runner V6 calipers need a touch of grinding to clear stock rims - check the tech links. On my converted axle with V6 claipers and vented TLC discs, the stock disc brake rim rubs a bit, I just haven't gotten around to marking and grinding (still on blocks).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom