Are pigs cold natured? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know everyone knows this, but my issue in cold has usually been the culprit of a low or bad battery. Whether gas or diesel that has usually been the issue for me.

I used to plow snow in my 40 and once the coil gave up the ghost during a cold spell here.

I know everyone knows this, but my issue in cold has usually been the culprit of a low or bad battery. Whether gas or diesel that has usually been the issue for me.

I used to plow snow in my 40 and once the coil gave up the ghost during a cold spell here.
Agree, Hoping response with fresh charge will be different. If battery sucks again I hate to put the money into battery that's going to sit next several months. In the end it all works out.

☝️👇

A589CDC4-51B9-4C54-BA1F-50AB71708ED0.jpeg

As you know batteries make a huge difference. As does oil weight if the spin is slow. When I had my carb rebuilt by Mark's Off-Road it started almost instantly in the cold. I'm guessing the biggest help would be a full rebuilt carb or sniper conversion.

I'm completely jealous of all that snow. We are supposed to get it today but only like 4~6"

Ih8mud New Years Day Steamboat Springs Super Snowy Swine Soiree ?

piggo.gif

Looks like @Pighead or @Megadoomer leading the charge.

Sniper is exactly the plan once the body shop is done. Ben your always welcome to come up here and move snow, just got back inside from clearing driveway with the tractor. Not so bad at the present time.

Love me the 7.34! Selling my 2015 GMC 2500 so I can spend more time in my 2003 F350. Just can't beat em. Gonna check into one of these Bob for my son who has 2012 Cummins and goes to school in Gunnison, close to coldest place in Colorado and the university doesn't have any plug ins for diesels.

Not to hijack but I have a 7.3 and a 2012 with the 6.7 as work trucks. I’ve almost gotten rid of the 7.3. It needs glow plugs, and injectors. It was declared totaled in a wreck by insurance and we rebuilt it frame straightened etc. Unfortunately the other party was an older couple and the gentleman died at the seen of the wreck from a heart attack (very rough, almost threw in the towel with the business on that one). I’ve always kept that 7.3 around. It was my first truck I paid cash for. I always loved that truck. Recently I’ve thought about pulling the engine resealing it, doing injectors and the glow plugs and keeping it in the fleet. I guess I get too attached to machinery. But nothing nothing compares to that 6.7 I have. I absolutely love the way it pulls and has the power.

Hi jack over…

I get it, Comparing the 7.3 to the GMC Duramax is no comparison. I pull my 25' gooseneck with 9,000 lb cabbed tractor over the continental divide at 50mph with the GMC. It is a pulling machine, the newer models are insane what they can tow. This summer I won't have the need to pull tractor back and forth to Colorado and the dependable 7.3 will be just fine for the wife and I's travels when we aren't driving a cruiser. I also won't be screwign with the DEF emssions BS.

My 7.3L must have been a lemon. I hated that thing. That 7.3L left me stranded multiple times, the transmission crapped out, injectors, glowplugs, injector harness through valve cover.
It ate alternators to the tune of 2 a year and once trashed my batteries. I started keeping spare alternators.
14mpg was good in this. I got 17 once on a mostly downhill drive. This was compounded by owning it when diesel prices were over $4.00 and the excursion has a 44 gallon tank.

To bring it to this thread...
If it was below 34F and not plugged in, it wouldn't start.

Oh this had under 100K on it and looked cherry. I loved the room and towing ability, but had to fix a bunch of crap Ford issues and never trusted it.

Glad I looked at temps next couple days. Troopy antifreeze temp only good to 0, draining it now and putting some new stuff in. Then the pig gets in heated garage one way or another. I bet its low 20's right now and glow plugs on troopy cycled for maybe 2 seconds, tapped starter and she came alive with zero issues.

My dually got 22 miles to the gallon unladen. H.P.s were underated at 230. Could smoke all 4 tires from a standstill. 97 traded in for the 99 dually and gave me 3gs less than what i paid for after 2 years of use. Diesel was only 86 cents a gallon in 97 😘

My dually got 22 miles to the gallon unladen. H.P.s were underated at 230. Could smoke all 4 tires from a standstill. 97 traded in for the 99 dually and gave me 3gs less than what i paid for after 2 years of use. Diesel was only 86 cents a gallon in 97 😘
I have a 2008 with the 6.4

Mileage is half that (driving 80-85 unladen).

Diesel is $3/gal in TX. More elsewhere.

Kinda sucks

Starts fine at 20F though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom