Are my lockers working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok my mom has a 94 fj80 with the front and rear diff locks. the other day i was driving it through a ditch and got one of the front wheels in the air, the truck was in 4-low and i had the diff switch to both front and rear. i could have easily made it across but it concerned me that thw front wheel once off the ground started spinning while the other front tire was doing nothing, whne i truned the diff lock swith on none of the indicator lights on the dash came on. could my diff locks be broken or for some reason not working? thanks

CruiserHead05,

(Copied from an SOR post in native Beonese)

Grab your owner's manual and read the section on locking the F&R locking diffs. Next, read the Diffs for Dummies at http://www.safari4x4.com.au/80scool/george_couyant/diffs/diffs.html.

Find yourself a nice quiet open place with dirt or gravel. Roll down all the windows, put the tranny in N, put the xfer case in Low, tranny back to L. The ABS light will come on indicating that your ABS is deactivated. You may hear the center diff electric motor for a second or two as the center diff locks automatically (this assumes you don't have the CDL dash switch.) The dash light for the Center diff should blink then stay on when the center diff is locked. Now drive around in a circle and see how it feels. Stop, switch the rotary knob to the left of the steering wheel to RR. You should hear the electric motor for the rear diffs and might hear a slight clank as it locks. If the light is still blinking (probably will be) slowly drive in a circle or zig zag so the rear locking splines can align. The rear diff light should stop blinking and stay on. Drive around in a circle and see how it feels with the rear diff locked. You may notice the rear tires skidding a little as you turn.

Now switch the rotary knob to RR+FR. You should hear the electric motor for the front diff and might hear a slight clank as it locks. If the light is still blinking, slowly drive zig zag so the front locking splines can align and the light stays lit. Turning will be significantly more difficult with the front locked. Unlocking is the reverse. You don't have to be stopped to lock any of the diffs but it helps if you're trying to listen to what is happening under the truck.

If you are all locked up (Center, Rear, and Front) you are now enjoying the epitome of a factory off-road rig with full locking differentials. Not limited slip, not rear only, not front and rear (rare these days) but a factory rig with 3 locked differentials. A 'for real' FOUR wheel drive. Forget the Heep Rubicon, it doesn't get any better than this!

[writer's embellishment follows]

You can walk that big boy up a 10' verticle wall if you're so inclined. Climb mountains, crawl right through 10' snow drifts, park right next to the ski lift, defeat the Rubicon, Paragon is nothing for you, Mud... what mud? Moab is child's play, bring on Farmington.

(Sorry, got a little carried away there.)

The diff locking mechanisms will engage quicker with use. Mine usually engage in 3 seconds or less.

-B-

Last edited:
[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=3973;start=0#msg29142 date=1059411398]
If you are all locked up (Center, Rear, and Front) you are now enjoying the epitome of a factory off-road rig with full locking differentials. Not limited slip, not rear only, not front and rear (rare these days) but a factory rig with 3 locked differentials. A 'for real' FOUR wheel drive. Forget the Heep Rubicon, it doesn't get any better than this!
[/quote]

I liked my Jeep Scrambler :D, so I do have to say, in defense of the Rubicon, it doesn't need a locking center diff, as it has a true 4wd transfer case, not center viscous coupling, so it is just as "locked" as your cruiser. :p

[You can walk that big boy up a 10' verticle wall if you're so inclined]

Till you hit and bottom out the Class lll trailer hitch, then you are out for the count. If you are lucky like I was and the hitch was jamed into sand stone, you can dig your way out if you remembered the shovel :D
kurt

EZ test: lock the front and rear, if you turn sharp and the vehicle goes straight, your are locked in ;)

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=3973;start=0#msg29142 date=1059411398]
You can walk that big boy up a 10' verticle wall if you're so inclined. Climb mountains, crawl right through 10' snow drifts, park right next to the ski lift, defeat the Rubicon, Paragon is nothing for you, Mud... what mud? Moab is child's play, bring on Farmington.

(Sorry, got a little carried away there.)

-B-

[/quote]

Just have to throw in my comments on the lockers. I finally found a hill I couldn't get up with them. Basically, a steep climb up a fire break, dry marbley clay. The stuff gets so dry and marbley that even with a run, the truck just starts to sink and won't go any futher.

However, I took my buddy who has gone with me to hollister in the past for a short ride in the LC yesterday. There is a little place nearby with a 50 foot really steep climb. I showed him the hill, he said no freaking way, I lined up (so as not to take out the hitch, quite a change from a 45 degree departure to this), locked the front and rear and cruised right up it. He laughed and commented that it sure would take a lot of the challenge out of Hollister.

Cary

It's all in the wheel base folks.

A couple months ago I crept straight up a steep 75' near vertical muddy earth bank that a brand new rubicon all locked up could not manage, and neither could a samurai nor an old cj. I was feeling all special until an old 70's chev pickup with detroit lockers and a 350 took a run at it and ran right up there. Of course the chev removed half the mountain to do it.

I met my match a few weeks ago with a steep sand dune (in Ontario!) about 75'. I think I could have made it, but let up a touch early at the top and bogged down (probably doesn't help that I'm basially running street tires)

Interestingly, the only other truck with us that was close was a relatively modified Freelander(!) - me thinks it's like a Sami - light and in this case with some traction control. Disco I = no luck and a Mitsubishi was not even close.

Cheers, Hugh

Please no, my mom has no idea of what i do in her 80. just last night was headed out on the town with a buddy and decided to hit up a power line on the way there. boy was that fun, rigth after it had rained too, but i'm sure you can see it now, my friend and i at the self care wash at midnight trying to clean my moms car so she would have no idea. got up this morning and first thing she says is where did you go?....i was dumbfounded....i played stupid with her and then she took me out to the garage and pointed under the white whale(her car). low and behold i had missed to thing, a giant tree branch up under there. more like a sappling, but it was comical....hey geowulf, thanks, also i loved your post, it cracked me up but it is so true.....i do have one more question, if i sell my 40 i may look to get a built up 80 b/c lets face it, 80's have everything 40's dont and more.....but i would probably get a 91-92 b/c of price but it only has CDL, right, this is still good though but not all 3 diffs....oh well, my parents had a crazy idea the other day, me sell my 40, my mom get a new runner and i get her 80.......that would be awesome, i told them great but they have to let me do some stuff to it...thanks guys

Cruiserhead:
I had the option to trade my '74 40 with unknown miles mostly stock with a lift nearly straight out for a '94 FZJ80 with 3 difflocks with 200k miles. I decided not too. I would definatly not consider trading my 40 for an 80 without difflocks, considering difflocks is one of the major reasons I seriously considered an 80. Don't get rid of the 40, you'll regret it. (BTW I'm 17 as well)
Heres what I cooked up with my dad:
We get a 80 with difflocks, let my mom drive it for the next year or two and then I get the 80 for my senior year of high school/college, while keeping the 40 at my parents house as a kind of fun summer/ deer hunting truck. That way I have an 80 to play with for a coupla years, then drive for 4, play with my 40 during the summer in college, and then have both after college when I start makin money :D
I really think you'll regret getting rid of the 40 you already know, as they say, the devil you know is better than the one you don't.

Well when you think about it, you can pick up a good early 90's LC at a reasonable price and with a little due diligence on service history can end up with a very reliable truck that will go anywhere from the beach to the mountains. Only issue would be the pocketbook for gas! Neighbor just picked up a 2-3 year old basic 4runner for his son for similar reasons.

I thought only soccer moms, cardigan sweater wearers and guys that their family out grew the pickup :D
kurt

Ok - back to the original story from Cruiserhead05. Inquiring minds want to know how you explained away the sappling under the beast kiddo?? FYI - question is coming from a guy with a daughter less than a year away from her license - grades permitting - and, yes I'm a hard A$$ and will hold my ground on that one forever kids.

Unfortunately, some of my best friends barely graduated from high school and are doing better than those of us with advanced professional degrees...less student loan debt as well. :eek:

Just let her get her license...then back in the closet until she's 32. ;)

However, I am curious about the sapling removal story too.

-H-

Forget the damn twig story...you want to make some quick cash...so your mom has no idea that the 80 has lockers...I could use them...see where I am going... :D

Hltoppr...get back to work.

>> hey geowulf, thanks, also i loved your post, ... <<

It's Beowulf. I'm a living legend and if you can stay awake in high school you'll read all about me so be sure to get the name right next time.

Is your shift key broken?

-B-

H,

Only difference is that with your degrees, in theory, you should have better LONG term earnings potential. Not always true, but typically. Old boss of mine had a next door neighbor that worked the auto plant line (union) and at the time was making the same as he was as an audit supervisor, degrees and all. Really honked him off. Difference is that auto guy is probably still making a similar wage and bossman is probably a VP by now. Just my 2cents.

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=3973;start=0#msg29402 date=1059521102]
It's Beowulf. I'm a living legend and if you can stay awake in high school you'll read all about me so be sure to get the name right next time.
-B-

[/quote]

How come I never heard about you in High School? We learned useful stuff in school where I attended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom