Are my front shocks upsidedown? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry folks, newbe here to the FJ's.

I picked up my '80 FJ40 last weekend and began the process of cleaning her up, pulling out old wires, etc... I noticed that the front shocks were positioned with the large side of the body on top, and the thin rod side connected to the bttom mount. Every vehicle I have ever owned (and that is quite a few) has had the rod end on the top side.

Is this an FJ thing or is that normal?

Thanks for the help.

depends on the shock...lol....

"generally" speaking, most shocks can be mounted either way, but it is often brand/model specific. "generally" speaking, a gas charged shock can be mounted body up like yours.

My Bilsteins mount body-up, IIRC my Doesch Techs mounted body down.

Somebody told me that mounting the body up and the rod down helps keep the fluidfilled body from being damaged, but that might be just one of those things that people believe. A recent thread on the subject was split about evenly between 'it doesn't matter', ' body up', and 'body down' .

Sounds like "buyer's choice" doesn't it?

i was always taught that the moving part of the shock should go on the moving part of the vehicle...but, as mentioned, it is brand specific sometimes. i run my rs9000s upside down because a) i was told by a former rancho employee it didn't make a difference, b) it protects the body, and c) it protects that knob that is so poorly placed on the adjustable shocks

Thanks

Thanks for the helping a FJ newb.

It seams reasonable to mount them anyway you want unless the manuf. specifies otherwise. :grinpimp:

i am running monroe shock with the body on top and they seem to work fine for me.

The Rancho tech people told me that Rancho shocks can be mounted either way, but that they do run a little softer with the reservoir end up. I have no problems with them mounted that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom