Are my front brakes more biased than me? Hmmmm. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks - Brake bias question here would love to hear anyone’s thoughts on this topic:

I did a brake upgrade on my ‘62 and it’s been great. Master, booster and 4Runner calipers.

I’m also running 33” tires.

Now, though, I feel like there is a clear over-bias to the front brakes. Especially noticeable on slick / wet and when towing something heavy. The fronts lock pretty easily.

I’ve looked at the RPV in the rear and all seems good there. And, the rear drums and pads were replaced recently.

Been thinking about adding a proportioning valve on the front line to dial them back a smidge. Just to try and get a little more balance. But not enough to become a drifter … ;)

I’m not 100% confident that adding a pro valve on the front will provide the result I’m looking for though.

I have a wilwood valve sitting right here ready to go. Or should I bite the bullet and go for a rear disc swap (which would be sweet and expensive) . But I’ll never sell this truck so…

Thoughts?

U say you are running 33's. Are you also nunning a lift? If you do, the lspv needs to be dropped down a smidge. Toyota accounted for this by making the mounting holes ovalized, allowing for adjustment. Others bend the rod. I adjusted mine by dropping it about 3/16" after the lift.
All's well

Front brakes, in general, take the brunt of the stopping power.

U say you are running 33's. Are you also nunning a lift? If you do, the lspv needs to be dropped down a smidge. Toyota accounted for this by making the mounting holes ovalized, allowing for adjustment. Others bend the rod. I adjusted mine by dropping it about 3/16" after the lift.
All's well
Hmmm, good thought, I'll climb under and have a look.

You definitely don't want to put any kind of proportioning valve in your front brake circuit - that will NOT work well at all for you.

Hmmm, good thought, I'll climb under and have a look.
I looked and the lspv is maxed out at the top (as in the point closest to the body). Also, the arm from the axle to the lspv is curved somewhat... should it be straight?
I didn't notice a place for adjustment.

If the lspv is at the highest point of travel is that MAX rear brakes? or LEAST Brakes?

The way the LSPV is supposed to work is when the rear suspension is compressed you will get more rear fluid flow to the rear brake circuit.

it doesn’t take anything away from the front brake circuit.

the issue I normally see is a 60/62 that lived a 20-25 life with original low stock springs and then gets a 3/4” lift out of nowhere, the LSPV can start acting up in various ways

you can do a quick/dirty bypass on the LSPV pretty easily and see for sure whether it’s working properly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom