Are my engine mounts strong enough? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

canadian bum

SILVER Star
Threads
Well like the title says I am just wondering if the mounts I made are strong enough. They are made of 3/16 steel. I'm not worried about them collapsing so much as I am wondering if they will rip off the frame. The frame is a FJ45 and it will be supporting a 1HD-T. I had to fill in one of the frame holes because the mounts ended up right over top so I used the same thickness of metal as the frame.

I am just making sure so it doesn't bite me later down the road. I thought I had better pictures of them installed but I don't I will be able to snap some this weekend but for now I have these.
n510930776_1975880_6702839.jpg
16957_320347765776_510930776_4039208_7600323_n.jpg
n510930776_2032745_1959128.jpg

I would make them more like toyotas with a flange around them or altenatively add some webs back to the chassis

look ok , but a picture mounted would help. i used the same 3/16 as you did for my 3b swap, but used a sister plate against the frame.

I'm with these guys:

Make a sister plate for those. A little bit of flange on those hard edges will spread the load out better, and will provide more surface area to weld to the frame with.

Here's the way I made mine...
IMG_0366.jpg

Dan
IMG_0366.jpg

Yeah i thought I had pics of them mounted but I guess not. I will add some braces to the sides to spread out the load as they are already mounted to the frame. I was thinking about doing that the other day when I looked at them when I was working on the rear diff. I'll take some pics next time I am out at the shop.

I'm with these guys:

Make a sister plate for those. A little bit of flange on those hard edges will spread the load out better, and will provide more surface area to weld to the frame with.

Here's the way I made mine...
View attachment 411661

Dan

Nice;)

Would have been nicer if I would have thought to make the holes oval shaped from the get-go. Turns out if you don't that you can bolt the mounts to the engine, lower it into place, tack the mounts into place, remove the engine and then never get them to go back together again. I probably removed mine and rewelded them 6 times before I figured out that I was an idiot.

/hijack.

If yours are already welded to the frame, I'd probably just gusset the mounts out to the sides of the mounts. If you've fully welded them to the frame, you can either cut them off and make a sister plate, or you can gusset it out and hope it's good. If it turns out in the future that it isn't good, then all you are out is pulling the engine, cutting them out and making a sister plate.

Dan

That is what I was thinking after looking at them for the pictures. I would have to be pretty mean and make the cruiser take some serious flight before they rip off.

way better than the ones i made and i abused my last truck. their the only that DIDN'T fall off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom