Are gutter mounts universal? My Baja rack is going to be too tall for my garage… (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have this guy:

Picked it up from a somewhat local mud member really good guy and the rack fit my needs. It’s not on my truck yet as my truck is still in progress but it will be soon, issue is that it’s going to be too tall for my garage entrance. I’m really hoping that I’m crappy at taking measurements and it somehow miraculously fits or that the extra weight on the truck when it’s done will drop it enough inches but I don’t think that’s going to be the case.

The gutter mounts it comes with make the rack sit up high on the roof, if there were mounts that sit lower even almost flush to the roof that would alleviate the issue. Is that a thing or are mounts pretty much tailor made to each rack?

Thanks fellas

They're not necessarily universal, but mounts may fit different racks. It'll probably have to be a trial-and-error process.

Someone posted recently that they used different brand mounts for their rack.

Just an observation, the rack you have as pictured in the link appears to be mounted on some strange-a gutter mounts.
But crucially both leg designs do not require the removal of the outside (and tallest) luggage rack rails.
These outer-most rails must go if you want the lowest possible rack height.
Just get @NLXTACY rail delete kit to fill the screw holes and accept it.
You'll be glad you did.

ride height.jpg

Beyond that, and apart from extruded channel-type mount fittings (as in pic), you're basically good with gutter mounts that attach to a rack made of round or square stock. I think I measured a max 4" leg length required to clear the two inner-most roof ribs.

Just an observation, the rack you have as pictured in the link appears to be mounted on some strange-a gutter mounts.
But crucially both leg designs do not require the removal of the outside (and tallest) luggage rack rails.
These outer-most rails must go if you want the lowest possible rack height.
Just get @NLXTACY rail delete kit to fill the screw holes and accept it.
You'll be glad you did.

View attachment 2946112

Beyond that, and apart from extruded channel-type mount fittings (as in pic), you're basically good with gutter mounts that attach to a rack made of round or square stock. I think I measured a max 4" leg length required to clear the two inner-most roof ribs.

Well I don’t necessarily need it to just rest on the roof just don’t want it so damn high as it currently sits….

Well I don’t necessarily need it to just rest on the roof just don’t want it so damn high as it currently sits….
Ok.
So 5" legs and Wits' End rail delete.

If it is fitting the door opening at the frame but not the door which hangs down a little you can adjust the start stop of the garage door to open more and let the frame be the lowest part not the bottom of the door.

If it is fitting the door opening at the frame but not the door which hangs down a little you can adjust the start stop of the garage door to open more and let the frame be the lowest part not the bottom of the door.

Thank you but it does actually sit higher than the entrance….

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom