Are frozen KDSS valves a deal breaker when purchasing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First time 200 series poster. Currently own a 100 series, and looking into a 2013 LC for the wife w/ 120k on the clock. Found 13’ for $37k. Appears to have solid maintenance records other than the fact I can’t find if they did a water pump job yet. Vehicle has 2 previous owners and spent 6 years in PA, the rest in FL. Minimal rust from undercarriage pics.

It is mentioned in the description that the KDSS valves are frozen, and need replacement or LX conversion. I’ve done some research on the system as I’m unfamiliar with it. Looks like it’s pricey to fix and replace, and deters a lot of people. I have read some threads though of successful people who had freed up “frozen valves”. Link below:

My question is, is the frozen valves a deal breaker in y’all’s opinions? What are the chances I take time and actually get them free. Currently there is no “KDSS lean”. Is the price on point for this issue? I know LC prices are a inflated, but this kind of seems like a good deal…..maybe…..possibly……who knows anymore.

Last edited:
These motors don't have timing belts, they have chains. Water pump seems to be a 100k mile maintenance item.

If you’re not planning on lifting it, it’s not a deal breaker.

if you want to lift it, then it’s potentially an difficult issue to deal with. I ended up with a KDSS lean and needed a re-bleed, even on a ”free” set of valves. So it is certainly a factor.

there isn’t really a valid LX conversion for a hydraulic sway bar. It’s unsafe to run without the KDSS. You might be thinking of an AHC delete?

kdss Is a different beast than AHC. There are no active components like a pump. It’s a static pressure system.

If you’re not planning on lifting it, it’s not a deal breaker.

if you want to lift it, then it’s potentially an difficult issue to deal with. I ended up with a KDSS lean and needed a re-bleed, even on a ”free” set of valves. So it is certainly a factor.

there isn’t really a valid LX conversion for a hydraulic sway bar. It’s unsafe to run without the KDSS. You might be thinking of an AHC delete?

kdss Is a different beast than AHC. There are no active components like a pump. It’s a static pressure system.
Thanks. Trying to read about the system, very unfamiliar with it. I wouldn’t leave a lift out of the question, but more or less this would be something way down the road, as my wife hates driving my LX470 with a lift and tires. No way she would go for it w/ it being hers.

if she hates a lift, they she'll really hate the ride without a sway-control system!!!

There is no “LX conversion” that I know of..

I agree with others that if you never plan to do suspension upgrades, it is kind of no big deal. Yes, a bunch of us have gotten frozen ones loose, but it isn't a problem I'd want to have to tackle. The system is meant to be sealed, is high pressure, and expensive to repair or replace, and once opened, requires highly specialized tools (pressure pump) to return to service.

For peace of mind, I'd just plan for a radiator, water pump, thermostat, tensioner, idler, hose and belt service.

If it was what I was looking for I would make the purchase. Patience and effort can resolve the issue.

I bought mine used (2014) last year and the KDSS screws were stuck. I employed a hand impact driver to get them freed up, and packed them with grease to prevent further issues. If set on purchasing that specific unit, use the stuck screws as a negotiating point.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom