Are FJ55 & FJ40 Axle & Rear End Direct Swaps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys I am in need of someone smarter than me.
I have a great opportunity to get another Landcruiser but I need some help!
A family friend has a 6/1977 FJ55 that since he drove it into town 8 years ago, I have always wished it belonged in my driveway! Long story short he approached me this weekend and asked me if I would be interested in buying it. Of course it didn't take long for me to say yes, but it made me wonder why, then he told me the bad.
The rear end is bad, its sat for months @ a shop, I talked to his mechanic & he tells me that the Ring & Pinion went bad & it is in need of a new 3rd member. He also told me that the gear ratio for the 77 fj55 is (4:11) estimated price to fix is $1,600.
This got me thinking is the rear end & complete axle on a FJ55 the same as a FJ40 rear end & axle?
If so will a early 70's model FJ40 rear end & axle fix this FJ55's problem? I have access to a complete running gear from a guy in Arkansas 3 hours away, he's not sure the exact year model that it is, He thinks it could be (1971-74) FJ40 running gear he can't remember. Will it work, did those FJ40 year models have different gear ratios than (4:11) like this 1977 FJ55? I just don't want to waste a 3 hour trip if it will not work, I am also trying to save money. If they are a direct swap is there anything else I need to do during the axle swap?
Thanks For Any Help!! TJ
FJ55 & CJ3B Pics 002.jpg

Last edited:
TJ I have a set of 55 axles I'm pulling to swap in fj60 axles. Not sure where you are but let me know if Oklahoma City is a bit closer. The third member would swap directly and you would have spare parts. Mine are from a '70.

Nik

So your saying the FJ40's & the FJ55's are the exact same?
I appreciate the offer but I can pick up that FJ40 running gear for a little of nothing just a 3 hour drive.

So your saying the FJ40's & the FJ55's are the exact same?

only difference would be the brake cylinders on the 55 are a bigger diameter. everything else is the same, inner axles, differential, the axle housing itself is the same minus the sway bar mounts on the 40 axle.

edit the gear ratios changed in 12-78 to 3:70 all earlier are 4:11 coarse pinion, 78 would be fine spline pinion.

So all of that will switch out cylinders & such, & the sway bar mounts could be cut & put on 40's axle?
Just looking for the least work, cheapest route. I am going to have to pay someone to fix & do this. Football Coach not a Mechanic!

It would likely be easier and cheaper to keep your 55 housing, swap thirds, and use the best of the axles. I'd also replace the oil seal and wheel bearings at the same time.

That way you'll not have to mess with welding or the brakes.

Likely all that's shot is the 3rd member. You can even use a third out of a 60 series... If you can find one with 4.11 gears. The one biggest difference between the years is the flange bolt pattern (spacing).

The 60 series usually have a round flange... You can rotate the driveshaft 45 degrees and drill new holes... :D

If you want to change to more street friendly 3.70 gears, this would be the time to do it.

Guys
Thanks for all the help & info, sounds like I will be taking a trip this weekend to pick up that FJ40 running gear!
Thanks

The 3rd member out of the 1972 FJ40 I picked up was a direct swap, the only thing we had to change was the flange, we swapped it out from the original 77 FJ55 3rd member.
The bill to fix the FJ55 went from $1,600 new parts & labor to $245 with FJ40 parts & the help from this Forum & your guys knowledge!!
I am glad & proud to have the pig on the road as the new owner!
Thanks Again
TJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom