Are Fender Flairs Painted? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I managed to crush my left rear fender flare and inflict some minor body damage under it.

Does anyone happen to have a left rear fender flair in white they are not using and want to sell?

If I buy a a new one from the dealer, does it come painted or does it need to be painted before install.

I keep thinking of just pulling all the flairs off but looks like a lot of body work would be needed to make that look right.

I think flares come e-coated flat black. I just painted mine flat black and really like the look.

Pulling the flares off leaves holes, but no other body work would be needed. I had mine off last week and somebody mentioned that it looked like i got shot at.

Pulling the flares off with trees seems to be the easiest way to get them off, but might result in additional work. :slap:

I like the look of flares over not and I really like that they flex when you hit things. Sheet metal does not and little bumps get real costly.

Chris,
You can have the new one painted to match but give some thought to the look of Keep's truck; it's also white. He has posted a few times (w/pics) on the black liner he used.

His truck with the black flares looks awesome.
-B-

Chris, '94 fiberglass flares do come color matched to your cruiser, no painting required.

Here's a pic of mine with the bedliner coated flares.
park.jpg

Keep, what size are your MTR's?

315s

DSCF0003.JPG

It looks like he is stuck waiting for a tow. What is going on here?

91 - 94 flares are fiberglass and come in an off-white gelcoat. 95-97 flares are plastic and are black. In all cases they must be finish painted to the vehicle color, or bedlinered or what ever you want to do to them. In addition, gaskets are not included with the flare, they must be procured separately.

Dan :beer:

No, no. The guy in the black 40 is stuck in the sand and I'm about to push him out with a stiff strap.

Rule #1 - Never admit that you that got stuck!

I myself have broken this rule, but it resulted in my getting a nice new M12k. :G

I stand corrected.    :-[

I purchased a single one from a parts dealer who required my color code before sending me the flare.  My intention was to bedline it anyway so I never even considered the fact that the white on the flare may not have been the same as on my truck.  Well you know what they say about assumptions...  :G

Thanks guys...

But I still want to know what happened to the truck in Rogue's post, was it stuck or did the motor die?

Perfect timing, I just got back this weekend and bashed the hell out of the bottom of my front right fender and it cracked the flare off. So off the the dent removal place and to have it repainted and I need a new fender flare. Should I just go out and get one from the toyota dealership? Or bother with trying to find one? Oh and would the bedlined flares look good on a grey (moonshinepearl whatever) LC?

-Bryan

Thanks guys...

But I still want to know what happened to the truck in Rogue's post, was it stuck or did the motor die?

I went into the water hole thinking it was like the many other water holes around that were shallow and mostly rainwater. A couple of feet below the surface it was grey silty clay. The clay was up to the ARB when we pulled it out.
It idled fine in the water for 10-15 minutes, but started missing when it was out. Checked out all the connections and decided it was just water in the plug wells. It dried out and ran fine the rest of the weekend. Only real problems was a brief starter contact issue, the security system box was soaked, and the belts squeeled on startup until I tightened the belt.
I had it in deeper water a few times that weekend, but there was always a bottom to the hole. That hole was nasty.

:cry: I just called the dealer today and they want $230 for just this one panel. OUCH!

I think it's time to eject these little rock grabbers. I know it will take some body work to fill all the holes, but in the long run replacing these things is going to kill me!

An 80 w/o flares looks like a fat, rounded 60 to me. :(

In other words...

No Flares = Bu-fugly 80

But, :givecrap:what I say...

Chris,

I hear you on the flares. There is a pic of Pat Takash's white 80 floating around somewhere. He removed the flares and filled in the holes. He used a black liner and painted around the wheel wells. It looks OK but like Gumby and others have said, the 80 looks much better with the flares and the plastic ones will flex even if you scrape them on rocks.

-B-

Dan,

I need to replace my front rt flare and both sections of my rear flare.....all black....what kind of price do you get....?

You should PM Dan for that question. :dunno:

:wave: [glow=red,2,300](haven't used that one yet)[/glow]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom