Are early and late drum shoes the same? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a question regarding drum brake shoes. Are the front and rear of 70-74 FJ40's the same? If they are, then are they interchangable with the rear shoes off a disc brake cruiser (say 77 FJ40?).

I am asking because I have 2 sets of early drum brake cruiser shoes, and I want to know if I can use them for the rears of 2 different disc bake cruisers.

Thanks in advance for any responses I get.

Josh

Yes.

Those shoes are all the same.

Rear brakes changed in 09/80 and went to a single wheel cylinder set up, and the parking brake left the rear of the transfer case, and went to the rear axle at this time also.

Good luck!

-Steve

keep in mind, they are threaded differently (one left thread, one right thread, per wheel) though :doh:

nuclearlemon said:
keep in mind, they are threaded differently (one left thread, one right thread, per wheel) though :doh:

WTF are you talking about iggie???

Set down the Mason jar.........for a minute.

She's talking about shoe threads, kinda like shoe laces, what? :D

Just requires a left handed socket. I have a set if you need them.

Ed

nuclearlemon said:

must be another chick thing that I do not understand....

'prolly just like the jeep thing....

:rolleyes:

She's prolly talkin' 'bout the wheel cylinders on the early drum brakes. The threads on the adjusters are position specific as I recall.

Cruiserdrew said:
She's prolly talkin' 'bout the wheel cylinders on the early drum brakes. The threads on the adjusters are position specific as I recall.

Really? That’s interesting…

and again,

that fits into this where?

Last edited:
Cruiserdrew said:
yep...it fits since he'll be swapping cylinders and it really f's you up when you go to adjust them if you get them on wrong

nuclearlemon said:
yep...it fits since he'll be swapping cylinders and it really f's you up when you go to adjust them if you get them on wrong

:jack: ;)

Thanks for all the responses, now I have another question in another post.

Josh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom