Are ambulance doors more sought after? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have a '70 tub/frame and a parts '76. The 70 had no roof/doors (etc) but I got 2 sets of early rear lower doors (one even with a tire carrier).

I'm thinking that I'd like to remove the top for spring/summer - so an ambulance door setup might not be as easy to remove.

So I'm curious if people tend to prefer the ambulance doors or the tailgates with lift up window. I'd prefer the earlier style, I think, in the summer but probably the later style when the roof is on... If I end up keeping the later ambulance doors/top then I plan to configure the tub to work with both styles so I can remove the top yet still have the tailgate doors.

Thoughts?

I prefer the hatch. I wouldn't say that ambulance doors are sought after. Known many who prefer a hatch.,

For practical reasons, ambulance doors are kind of a hassle. For three reasons in my experience-

1. Taking the top off (as you noted).
  2. Making runs to the hardware store/etc- a hatch allows you to close the lower doors or tailgate, but leave the hatch open. This allows you to have long boards sticking out/etc. To most people this isn't an issue, but for those who don't also have a pickup, ambulance doors limit the cruiser's uses.
  3. Window frames between the two doors limit visibility a little bit. It's not terrible, but sometimes you can't see cars behind you if they're the right distance away.
That said, there are a few benefits:

1. This depends on your taste, but I think they look cooler. They add to the character of these vintage rigs.
  2. They provide quicker access to stuff in the back. You can just open the door opposite your spare tire to get into the back. In the other configurations, I believe you have to unlock the tire and move it away to open the hatch.

Pierps said:
For practical reasons, ambulance doors are kind of a hassle. For three reasons in my experience-

[*]Taking the top off (as you noted).
[*]Making runs to the hardware store/etc- a hatch allows you to close the lower doors or tailgate, but leave the hatch open. This allows you to have long boards sticking out/etc. To most people this isn't an issue, but for those who don't also have a pickup, ambulance doors limit the cruiser's uses.
[*]Window frames between the two doors limit visibility a little bit. It's not terrible, but sometimes you can't see cars behind you if they're the right distance away.

That said, there are a few benefits:

[*]This depends on your taste, but I think they look cooler. They add to the character of these vintage rigs.
[*]They provide quicker access to stuff in the back. You can just open the door opposite your spare tire to get into the back. In the other configurations, I believe you have to unlock the tire and move it away to open the hatch.

Well put. I'll add to that that for tall people like me (I'm 6'6"), the lift gate lifts just high enough to scalp me. I would not want another lift gate unless it was on a sprung-over rig.

Amb doors seem to rattle less, but have poor rear visibility when looking in the inside rear view mirror - big blind spot in the middle.

They are a poor design when you want to take the top off, but they are great in the winter when you have the top on an you want someone to climb in the back when you have the jump seats, the hatch is great when you buy stuff, you can leave the hatch open and say have 2x4's hanging out the back. Pros and cons both ways, depends on how you will use it.

With a bench, ambulance doors are of little use. So, not sought after... Have mixed reviews.:D

70 tub and ambulance doors do not a match. The barn doors and tailgates fit up against the tub. The ambulance doors fit flush with the tub and the tub was notched for the doors. To do it right you would have to modify the sides and bottom of the tub. If your running a stock spare tire carrier you need a later one to use the right ambulance door without opening the spare tire. That's a lot easier then notching the tub.

own two rigs... one with a hatch you can take the top off and one with the amby doors/hardtop. problem solved!

70 tub and ambulance doors do not a match. The barn doors and tailgates fit up against the tub. The ambulance doors fit flush with the tub and the tub was notched for the doors. To do it right you would have to modify the sides and bottom of the tub. If your running a stock spare tire carrier you need a later one to use the right ambulance door without opening the spare tire. That's a lot easier then notching the tub.

so I have a 76 and a 70. The 76 rear half of the tub was significantly worse than the 70..... so I went with keeping the 70 tub & frame.

I'll look at the 76 but I don't recall much of a difference. In looking at a (bad) photo I see that there's about a 1/4" variance in the very back of the 76 tub.

So if there's a slight notch - is it physically restricting (metal to metal) or is that where the seal would sit on the bottom?

I also recall seeing several early FJ's for sale with later hardtops & ambulance doors not too long ago.

So I guess another question - does the hatch fit a 76 top? Maybe I'll end up being in the market for a hatch. I already have 2 sets of early tailgates.

As for removing the hardtop if I had ambulance doors.... 1/2 the bolts needed to be ground off or snapped upon removal. It was my plan to just drill all the way through and use (if needed an additional support added) longer SS bolts, should make removing the doors easy (and the 76 top w/o the hatch/doors is much lighter than my friends 69 top with hatch)

Look at your hard top side pieces. The tub would need to match on the sides and bottom to have the ambulance fit like stock. The 70 will be just square corners.

To use a hatch with the 76 top you will need the header to match. The sides on the 70 and 76 will both have the notch since the hatch fit flush.

Toyotaspeed90,

I like the best of both worlds. I love half barn doors when I take my top off but had ambulance doors on my topper. It was a real PITA to fasten the half barn doors on as they hinge differently. One year I got in a hurry and welded them on.:doh: (Regretted that one later)

I had an extra set of ambulance doors so I cut them in half. You might check this thread. https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/693951-half-ambulance-doors.html Never did finish that thread. The first picture in that thread has floated around here for years and is very nice.

I do like the half ambulance doors. One note though, we went wheeling and had two kids with us and it was a real pain undoing spare tire carrier, open the top doors, then lower doors for them to get out. Finally told them they were on their own, learn to get in and out by yourself. Problem solved!

Good luck!

I really don't think the Hatch looks all that great. The Ambulance doors allow quick access without having to push the spare tire aside and aesthetically look the best. The hatch looks exactly like the Jeep.

I really don't think the Hatch looks all that great. The Ambulance doors allow quick access without having to push the spare tire aside and aesthetically look the best. The hatch looks exactly like the Jeep.

I believe you have that jeep thing backwards. The Land Cruiser had a hard top long before jeep. So who copied who? I also never seen corner windows or hatch like the FJ40 on a stock jeep. How long did it take jeep to figure oat the larger side door opening.

I have both and there are pros and and cons to each. I do not think speed is a big deal if you a FJ40. When I drive my it's life in the slow.

I don't think he mentioned who made it first. He's just saying it looks like a J**p. I agree since that hatch look is the only look J**p ever had. The Ambi Doors give it a sweet look and aside the tail lights give it a unmistakeably Land Cruiser look from the rear.

fjgoober, that fist picture still floats around here, I did not know there was a thread for it. I had picked up some ambulance doors to do that with. But then some original barn doors and rear hatch fell into my lap, so I am going that route. Love the hatch with good lifters as you can leave open while driving. Maybe I will put something in so I can lock in the up position for driving.

Here is my 70 and 76. Could someone post a picture of a "STOCK" jeep that a non biased person would say he 70 looks more like the jeep and not the 76.
IMG_0369.jpg
IMG_0370.jpg
IMG_0371.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom