Are all 60's appreciating? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Are all the model years of well maintained and rust free 60/62's appreciationg in value rather than depreciating?

Mike Stevens

I think they are depreciating from a certain standpoint. It seems that they were trading higher in general a couple of years ago, at least the 62's. However, they still trade much higher than their book values from the respected sources: kelly, nada, edmunds. If I could buy them at the NADA prices, I would have a new career. That being said, they are basically worth what someone is willing to pay for them, and prices are all over the place. The one thing that you know for sure is that they damn sure aren't making any more of them. So I do consider them collectables. Good 60/62's seem to be rarer than 40's on the market right now. Just my opinion and I am not really sure that there is a good answer to your question.

Depends on the Cruiser, but I think condition and mileage have EVERYTHING to do with getting big $$$

I'm sure there are plenty of opinions that will swing both ways....

Cruisin'Carolina said:
Depends on the Cruiser, but I think condition and mileage have EVERYTHING to do with getting big $$$

I'm sure there are plenty of opinions that will swing both ways....

You can say that again. For me, it comes down to (a) transmission and drivetrain work (b) condition of body (c) condition of interior (d) extras. I've heard so many 60/62's that have needed transmissions and xfer cases rebuilt, that I've started to avoid anything with 150K+ miles unless that work has been done fairly recently.

So, anywhere from $4000 to $9500, depending on above factors. TLC and CoolCruiser refurbished LC's not included, of course.

everything depreciates in value, some just faster than others. i thing a good 60 or 62 will probably bottom out, around the 20 year old mark, and stay.
like motorcycles..the depriciate untill the level out, and years later, you can still get the same money for them.

I got a 60. I got hail damage in 03. They gave me 2400 for it and the damage was not that bad. I should have got it fixed because I know that they would have to paid twice that to get it back to original form due to all the stuff they would have had to replace to get it back to where it was before the storm. I thought they would total it, but they didn't. The adjuster even triple checked his figures since it was odd to him too, but that thing came in at 8000 before they would total it.

Any labor and up grades you put into it, you can recoop with the right buyer.
I know when White Shark had his 60 series, he paid 8000 (it was spotless too), when he sold it a year or so later with a bunch more milage on it he got 8500. Not a major gain but he found the right buyer. You can pick and choose if your not in a hurry. Also look at listing in an area where they are wanted. Here in CA San Jose, LA are both good areas for cruiser resale value. You won't become wealth but you can break even usually.

In the last 2 years I have seen the prices of 60s in my area split and go into two directions. Ratty, rusty examples have dropped off dramatically regardless of mechanicals. Pretty, rust free rigs have started to appreciate as long as the mechanicals aren't a basket case in the last two years or so.

I would say that the diesel's MIGHT be. All other ones arent. Most dont.

Last edited:
I know of an outfit that was in Campbell (Silicon Valley) Ca. that was selling 60's and 62's for $4000-5000 over bluebook. I called the guy looking for a nice 60 and tried to call his bluff. He said that he knew that they were $4-5k over, but he was turning them over like hotcakes. Silicon Valley has big money and 90% of the Cruisers are immaculate, rust free trucks. When looking at a new $60K+ Cruiser, $14K seems like a killer deal for an ultra clean 62. He was careful when selecting rigs, but he had a dozen or so on his lot at any given time. This was back in 1999/2000.

I believe that there is a semi-constant demand for the 60 series trucks, with the 60's being a little more stable in demand. A lot of people like these trucks - for various reasons, nostalgia, simplicity, functionality, manual transmission, good combination of size and capability, Toyota's reputation for durability, and ease of maintenance. here in Northern California, there has always been a lot of people owning cruisers. The market is fairly steady and trucks last a long time - good roads, no salt and mild winters are the main reasons. I have seen some 60's and 62's on the raod that look like new vehicles.

Even here, tho', mileage and condition are huge factors. Prices vary from about $2500 to over $10,000 for a clean late model 60 with (relatively) low mileage.

Mike S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom