Are all 2f Heads identicle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ive got a line on a decent 2f head out of an unknown year.. Did the configuration of the 2f head change at all after its introduction on the 40's?.. I currently run a 76 2f motor. I dont want to buy it if there is a possibilty of incampatability..

Thanks,
Mike

i'm pretty sure they are identicle, people even put F heads on 2F's and 3F heads on 2Fs so it should bolt up

All the same.
Mix and match at will. 2F and 3F will interchange. 2F and 3FE will not. F will not work on 2F. 2F wil not work on F. Some slight difference in stem seals over theyears but they will all interchange.

don't want to sound like i know it all because i'm just going on memory, but i think i've read about people using the F head on the 2f to gain capacity or something....

ONLY the 74 F head has that option for higher compression. The 74 is a morth year, with 2F oiling but F design.

that would have been what i read..

Now I have been reading and someone wrote this about putting a F head other than 74 on a 2F
"Prior to 74 the oil for the rockers came from a simple copper oil line that came up from the top of the lifter valley. On the 2F the oil actually gets to the head by flowing around the 3rd or 4th head bolt(I can't remember which) on the passenger side. I simply drilled a hole into the head underneath this boss for this bolt with a hand drill. I then tapped with a hand tap it and intsalled the fitting. You use the F rocker arm assembly that came with the F head and shorten the oil line. I also opened up a few cooling passages. I think you could also drill and tap the block like the F does but if memeory serves this takes too much oil off the rear main bearing which was a design problem of the F (and why my first engine spun a bearing."

If the only reason that it will not work is the oil line this article above makes sense to me. Can anyone verify this information because I am about to do it?

dd113 said:
All the same.
Mix and match at will. 2F and 3F will interchange. 2F and 3FE will not. F will not work on 2F. 2F wil not work on F. Some slight difference in stem seals over theyears but they will all interchange.

David-You sure? I know you know your stuff back and forth but the early 2f heads are different from the late 2F heads I think. Later years have domed pistons or vice versa so you need to match early or late. I have a '75 head and an '83 head sitting in my shop and for sure the rockers are different. The 83 head is a little lighter too. I would be interested to know for sure.

pretty sure 81+ 40/60 2F heads are different also. I have heard the valve train is lighter on the 81+ as well......

But do I really know? nope :D

Cruiserdrew said:
David-You sure? I know you know your stuff back and forth but the early 2f heads are different from the late 2F heads I think. Later years have domed pistons or vice versa so you need to match early or late. I have a '75 head and an '83 head sitting in my shop and for sure the rockers are different. The 83 head is a little lighter too. I would be interested to know for sure.

I dug this thread up because I was trying to find the years the pistons changed. A 60 series head will not fit on an early motor. I'm still trying to find out the year the pistons changed back. 80? 81?

Mostly I'm trying to find out if a 79 head will fit on a 78 block. I can tell you for sure a 83 head will not. At least without changing the pistons.

Should not be a problem Todd....

08/80 was when when they went to flat top pistons in the 2F....

1/75-07/80 2F cylinder heads were all the same.

According to our friends at SOR...

:beer:

Good luck!

-Steve

F, 2F, and 3F(E) head are not the same.

All 2F heads are not the same.

All F heads are not the same

There were three destinctly different F heads, and a difference in machining within one of these groupings.

There were two distinctly different heads on the American 2F and a subtle difference in machining within one of these groupings. There were also Non-USA heads that can be found in Canada among other places that add at least one more variation.

The 3FE head was different than the 2F and I am almost ceratin the the 3F (non EFI) used a different head than the 3FE.

Gumby said:
I dug this thread up because I was trying to find the years the pistons changed. A 60 series head will not fit on an early motor. I'm still trying to find out the year the pistons changed back. 80? 81?

Mostly I'm trying to find out if a 79 head will fit on a 78 block. I can tell you for sure a 83 head will not. At least without changing the pistons.

A '79 US head is identical to a '78 US head.

Mark...

I have dealt with a local cruiser guru here. When I sold him a spare 77 engine, tranny and transfer, he mentioned something about it having the "good" head.
I asked what he meant and he said there is two part numbers for later 2f heads.
He could spot the good # right away he said because of the number of heads he's worked on. Apparently this one flows better or something.
Anyone have any Toyota parts books?

" later 2f heads "

This would mean post 08-80 to 1987 60 series wagon, pre 3FE....Correct?

Since USA 2F heads were the same from 1975-07/80.......Correct?

Well,

According to Cdan at American Toyota, the " late " model head is one part number...for this:

post 08-80 to 1987 60 series wagon, pre 3FE

Just installed a new Toyota head on a 12/82-40 that cracked out right by #5 exhaust valve, leaking coolant right out the top of the head...

:beer:

yotanut said:
I have dealt with a local cruiser guru here. When I sold him a spare 77 engine, tranny and transfer, he mentioned something about it having the "good" head.
He could spot the good # right away he said because of the number of heads he's worked on. Apparently this one flows better or something.
Anyone have any Toyota parts books?

A '77 engine would not be a "later" engine. It is the earlier varient of the 2F. A "later" head would not fit/function on a '77 shortblock unless the pistons were swapped out. I've had dozen of heads and dozens of engine pass through my hands. And worked on a whole lot more than that. I have never found a "good" or bad head on a '77, and never found one that was different than another (US models) in that era.
I would be curious what sort of differences he perceives in the heads and how he detects them at a glance.

Mark...

yotanut said:
He's prolly referring to the 77-80 heads w/ 61031 casting. Slight improvement over 61030, plus it has the extra coolant temp ports cast over (one less crack/leak point).

The 81-87 heads in USA all have same number, 61040, though there are two distinct versions. 81-84 is 2F head, 85-later is 3F head. All 81-newer replacement heads are 3F.

Does this help any? What were we talking about? :confused:

FJ40Jim said:
The 81-87 heads in USA all have same number, 61040, though there are two distinct versions. 81-84 is 2F head, 85-later is 3F head. All 81-newer replacement heads are 3F.

Please expand on this.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom