Are 60 and 80 series lock out hubs the same?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The title says it all. My HDJ81 has the oem part time T-case and oem lock out hubs. I assumed the hubs they used on the 80 series were the same as the 60 series and bought a new one, (chinese). Anyway after a bearing rebuild I can't get the C-clip to seat properly. Maybe not the hub at all but thought I'd check with you guys. I've got it stripped down again now I'll report back..

What year is your truck? Depends on the birf’s you have and the model of locking hub. If you have the short birf, the 60 series hub should work with heavy duty Aisin hubs. Other model hubs will work for the 70 and 80 series, but not the 60. Not sure on Chinese hubs, because there is some variation between model and brand. No straight answer without more information.

AISIN (Heavy Duty) Locking Hub - Fits 1979 - 1995 Land Cruisers (short birf 80's).​

For a great source of information on part’s compatibility, try emailing info@cruiserteq.com or call with Vin#.

Cruiser Outfitters
(801)563-1277

Last edited:
What year is your truck? Depends on the birf’s you have and the model of locking hub. If you have the short birf, the 60 series hub should work with heavy duty Aisin hubs. Other model hubs will work for the 70 and 80 series, but not the 60. Not sure on Chinese hubs, because there is some variation between model and brand. No straight answer without more information.

AISIN (Heavy Duty) Locking Hub - Fits 1979 - 1995 Land Cruisers (short birf 80's).​

For a great source of information on part’s compatibility, try emailing info@cruiserteq.com or call with Vin#.

Cruiser Outfitters
(801)563-1277
It's a 1990, no ABS, so I guess short?

Chinese hubs say it all imo. We've seen some super crude dimensions (not to mention metallurgy) on their knock-off hubs. What was wrong with your previous AISIN? Something that can be repaired?

In some cases wider or narrower c-clips are necessary for proper end play. We offer a kit with 6 different clip thicknesses.

FA9807KIT_1__50075.jpg

Spec'd for the 100/470 but a direct fit to earlier models including the 80 Series as well.

8/92 upgrade got longer outer CV's on 80's - not sure why but they are 8 mm longer.

The free-wheel Aisin hubs are the same from 40's, 60's, 75's, and 80's I'm fairly sure.

8/92 upgrade got longer outer CV's on 80's - not sure why but they are 8 mm longer.

The free-wheel Aisin hubs are the same from 40's, 60's, 75's, and 80's I'm fairly sure.

That date is inaccurate for many/most markets. 4/1994 is when the longer birf and subsequent wider drive flange (the reason for the change) appeared on full-time 4WD models. Could change by market, I've not dig into it super deep. The part-time 80 Series models retained the short birf into the 2000's.

Dont waste your time with budget hubs including AVM's. Nothing sucks more than getting out to your vacation 5 hours away all excited to enjoy Moab only to have constant issues with your hubs slipping out of engagement randomly. Ask me how I know.

Cheaping out on the components that get the power to the ground and ultimately get you home is like cheating out on survival gear. You don't want to find yourself in a situation where your decision to save a couple hundred bucks half a year ago jeopardizes your experience.

That date is inaccurate for many/most markets. 4/1994 is when the longer birf and subsequent wider drive flange (the reason for the change) appeared on full-time 4WD models. Could change by market, I've not dig into it super deep. The part-time 80 Series models retained the short birf into the 2000's.
Didn't 80's cease manufacture in 1998?

I've got a feeling the longer CV's were something to with the introduction of ABS, which no Oz 80's would have got before the 8/92 redesign. My 80 has no ABS (3/92 build).

Didn't 80's cease manufacture in 1998?

I've got a feeling the longer CV's were something to with the introduction of ABS, which no Oz 80's would have got before the 8/92 redesign. My 80 has no ABS (3/92 build).

No, they were offered in Venezuela until 2007.

There are more than 2 birfs for the 80, short, short with ABS, long and long with ABS. The wider drive flange and ABS did not happen at the same time.

My 80 is factory part time - it's never had drive flanges. The very same Aisin hubs work with both lengths of outer CV's. I run longer ones (non-ABS equipped) currently as I couldn't get short ones at the time I was trying to get new HDK's.

My 80 is factory part time - it's never had drive flanges. The very same Aisin hubs work with both lengths of outer CV's. I run longer ones (non-ABS equipped) currently as I couldn't get short ones at the time I was trying to get new HDK's.

Not true, the longer ones will need an additional groove cut in order to use with AISIN hubs. While they will physically fit, the clip engagement is incorrect and not advised.

The 94-2007 8x with factory AISIN hubs still runs the 60120 shorter birf.

Already know about needing to make a new c-clip groove. otherwise they work fine with Aisin hubs and I haven't found any need for spacer plates, longer studs, etc for them. I made extra c-clip grooves on mine. The US market for this kind of stuff is 10x bigger than here and rock-crawling is a big sport there I believe so people break front driveline stuff all the time. ;)

Last edited:
Already know about needing to make a new c-clip groove. otherwise they work fine with Aisin hubs and I haven't found any need for spacer plates, longer studs, etc for them.

oh kool !

i did not know the 60 and 80 series lock out hubs were the same either ..

i bet your gonna find the need to saddle up a 12-pack of my sparky #7 mark head period correct made in JAPAN little UNICORNS here :D

79042D19-A847-4C52-B08A-86814AD045F5.jpeg
633CA92B-FEC4-461D-AD40-ED8575620F81 - Copy.jpeg

633CA92B-FEC4-461D-AD40-ED8575620F81 - Copy (2).jpeg

c3ac38_fe2617bde43f469ca48c02f6bea0a49c_mv2.jpg

Already know about needing to make a new c-clip groove. otherwise they work fine with Aisin hubs and I haven't found any need for spacer plates, longer studs, etc for them.
We can agree there, nothing else is needed on the 4/1994+ beyond the additional groove. For this reason we stock them from RCV, Nitro and Longfield with a double groove or single groove variants can be modified.

08D684FD-E63B-47FB-94B4-1BAFA3D55D3C.jpeg

Thanks for all the replies guys! The old lock out was completely destroyed, I shoulda went with Aisin obviously. I got suckered in by the cheap price, I only drive the HDJ a few times a year so trying to keep costs down.

If memory serves me correct hubs from the 60 and 80 are not the “same”.

They may work the same but physically they are different.

The OEM 80 hubs have a scalloped base vs the 60 is not the same shape.

It doesn’t affect the function except it doesn’t look correct!

Yup, it’s minor but from the term “same”, they are not.

Yup, I’m anal😂!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom