Are 100 series VINs sequential? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tincan45

Too old to know anything.
SILVER Star
Threads
Starting to spend a little more time getting to know my '98 it dawned on me today while going through paperwork that I have a really low VIN. Not that it really matters, I was just curious how these are assigned. Is it sequential across model lines or markets they are sold? Or is it even sequential at all?

Just curious.

Historically, Toyota did sequential frame numbers by batch, depending on market destination, but I am not sure if that applies to the 100 series as well. to complicate matters further, VIN's are only used on some markets, many markets for the Land Cruiser still use the abbreviated ID numbers.

Historically, Toyota did sequential frame numbers by batch, depending on market destination, but I am not sure if that applies to the 100 series as well. to complicate matters further, VIN's are only used on some markets, many markets for the Land Cruiser still use the abbreviated ID numbers.
Thanks. I figured it was something like that. I'm 0001812 and I started to wonder if it was one if it was one of the first 2000 100 series worldwide or just in the US market. I'm guessing the US market. Still amazes me how well they put these things together. 23 years later and it still feels like a current vehicle (less all the tech).

Thanks. I figured it was something like that. I'm 0001812 and I started to wonder if it was one if it was one of the first 2000 100 series worldwide or just in the US market. I'm guessing the US market. Still amazes me how well they put these things together. 23 years later and it still feels like a current vehicle (less all the tech).
What’s your build month on the info plate? My ‘98 ends in 0023365 and was built in 7/98.

I'm 24638, an LX made in August 1998. Sales figured for the U.S. for 1998 model year were 10,978 for LX and 14,292 for LC. So it looks like LX and LC were numbered together for the U.S. market only. The 1998 model year started late, Jan 98, and ran late, at least August, maybe September 98.

Wonder if we could fill in the gaps and get an idea:

Month
1 - 1812(LC)
2 -
3 -
4 -
5 -
6 -
7 - 23,235(LC)
8 - 24,638 (LX)
9 -

Any others want to add to the list?