ARBs are better than 24+ year old factory lockers. Change my mind. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are they though?

Have you seen a busted OEM lockers?

I know people twist axles, haven't heard of a broken locker. Not saying it hasn't happened, just not aware of any.
Reports of some busted spiders but I dunno. You're right, I doubt there's any strength concern. I don't like the design of the sliding dog collar and twisted spline risk so the ARB is better there IMO

I figure if the truck has them factory installed then yay you probably don't need to do anything to it. Complete package from the factory.

If you go aftermarket then yay you have the perfect opportunity to regear and get new diff bearings in.

I have factory lockers in mine. They were a huge selling point for me because the truck was cheap and in rough shape (not anymore lol).

But I could totally see myself just as happy with harrops or arbs because they do the same thing.

If you need lockers than I don't think you could go wrong either way. My driving never really requires lockers so I am happy with stock gearing and the factory lockers just in case I ever need them.

If your OEM lockers are so slow to engage that it’s mentionable you must not be using them enough. My rear comes on the exact moment it’s actually “needed” and the front is nearly instant. Always.

Imo, the twisted spline issue is the only concern, and it’s easily remedied.

The Factory Locked feature has been a big add since we started modding 80’s, they have many pros and only a few cons, but now we are running out of 80’s with that option.

Having or even retrofitting factory lockers to an 80 that is a keeper or collector type of truck (that ironically will have little or no need) is an advantage with the value of 80’s today and you should be able to retain nearly 100% of the premium paid or cost to retrofit on a truck of this value level.

However, if I were building a trail 80, are in an area of weather, topography etc. where they are needed, or just think it is cool to have so you can say “yes it does have F&R lockers”, as most members have suggested, I would still buy the best 80 I could find in my price range regardless of that option.

IF it has factory lockers you probably lucked out, but they may need attention and definitely will need to see regular engagement. You don’t hear of very many failures related to them directly, but slow engagement can be an issue if not used and /or maintained.

IF NOT factory locked either ARB, but more likely the Eaton E Locker (formerly Harrop) could be as good and very possibly better solution, because with the install you can address gearing and any inspection/maintenance that may be overlooked if you get a factory locked rig and just hit the road!

Bottom line, make the best of what you have or can find, there are solutions, good luck and enjoy!

Note: Looks like you are relatively new on Mud, this is a GREAT forum, whenever I ask an opinion I prepare to hear all 4 sides and that gives me the data needed to move forward with a decision! :hmm:

The rear Factory e Locker seems much more robust than the front. I have found that the front carrier bearing race spun on the Stub. On a few of them been able to remove the race without a puller. I am talking about the larger diameter bearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom