ARBs are better than 24+ year old factory lockers. Change my mind. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TNFZJ

Low Speed. High Drag.
GOLD Star
Threads
Just looking for some civil discourse.

For there intended use, ARBs are superior to the factory lockers in several ways including strength and reliability. Yes, airlines can fail or be damaged, but how does that compare to locating and replacing the factory actuator? Regarding cost, I feel the price you pay for parts and labor is offset by the premium ’’Triple Locked” Land Cruisers are claiming. Am I off base on this? What are you’re experiences?

Thanks.

Just looking for some civil discourse. (LOL)

For there intended use, ARBs are inferior to the factory lockers in several ways including strength and especially reliability.
FIFY

the arb's actuatue faster but have more failure points in my opinion. My stock lockers have worked well for years . My only concern is that sometimes they can take awhile to lock in and display the lock on the dash.

Both types of lockers require maintenance and have both pluses and minuses.
With the factory lockers most of the maintenance, the actuators and wiring are external to the diff housing and can be pulled quicker, easier to fix on the trail if necessary. The actuators can get spendy.
With the ARB for almost all repairs the axles must be pulled before the pumpkins can be pulled which means your right about the same labor as doing a full axle service.

Last edited:
Afterthought lockers superior to factory integrated lockers? Nah. Locked is locked - at best they are the same.
But it really depends on the situation you find yourself in with regard to what you're willing to spend and what you're spending it on.
Adding lockers to axles never originally designed to run them may solve a thing or two initially. But it inevitably opens up other issues usually leading to additional cost.
And as far as "locating and replacing the factory actuators"...not sure what you mean. I can see mine when I look under the truck. I can rebuild/replace mine having never cracked the axle open. Nor am I drilling holes into the axle for any reason.
My experience with air-powered systems puts those systems a distant 2nd or 3rd to a robust electric circuit.
(not the same as electronic/computer control btw, which is worse than air over the long haul imo)

edit: and about locked 80s running at a premium over unlocked...maybe, i guess? I see alot more unlocked 80's asking for locked money. lol Fairly hit or miss when it comes to sellers comprehending the actual value diff between the two. And many on MUD would argue lockers should make little or no diff to the value of, for example, a 250kmi/25yo vehicle.

Last edited:
As with everything else, it depends.
Personally I wouldn't let the lack of factory lockers prevent a sale of a well maintained 80. It would likely get re-geared in any case, so the addition of lockers at that point is simply an added material cost.
My 91 had ARBs front and rear and my 97 has factory lockers.
IMO, and it is MY opinion, factory lockers aren't all that great. ARBs engage and disengage almost immediately, which is something I really miss. However everyone wheels differently and everyone uses the vehicle in a different manner. Rapid lock/unlock might not matter to you.

On the flip side, ARBs have issues with air lines and gaskets, both of which I have experienced. However, the recommended pressure they spec is too high IMO, and I added a regulator on my OBA system just for that.
In short, both have their disadvantages, however, there are now more choices on the market for selectable lockers.

Just one guy's experience:

• I have had three toyotas with electronic lockers (4 e-lockers total if you count them up). Never had a problem or failure of any kind.
  • I have had one toyota with ARB lockers (2 lockers). Had one air-line related failure on the trail and had trouble getting them to engage about 40% of the time, meaning they took 5-10+ seconds to engage with some sawing and wheel spin. I know this is the opposite of most people's experience. I did not install them and it could be an installation issue.
  • I have had two toyotas with lunchbox lockers (aussie and lockright). Both kicked ass and worked as designed for $300.
As others have said--one should never let the lockers be the deciding factor in purchasing a rig. All have their merits, and if you don't like what you have, you can always change it! :beer:

I have factory lockers, just used em both in snow yesterday (front & rear) and still works great for an 24 year old LX-450

I would never want Air lines going to lockers and all the probs associated with that and the compressor...a lot to go wrong.

knock on wood, I have not experienced this myself but I believe ARB's are much easier to pull twisted spline axles from than the factory lockers. ARB's are probably the toughest and most tested locker available.

Up here a locked truck is worth more than an unlocked one, maintenance and condition being equal. Worth a few thousand plus labour to install lockers.

I agree both have pros and cons.

I can't fault my experience with oem lockers in two cruisers.
And have a set that will get retro fitted in my current cruiser (because I have them).

Yes the OEM lockers can take longer to engage, but I've found they engage without fail when there's enough wheel slip for the locking gear to turn and engage. I've turned the knob at times, driven an obstacle and realised a locker hasn't engaged. In that scenario, licker want needed anyway :meh:

Oh, and for the OP, if you've decided ARBs are better, why are we trying to change your mind? Roll with what you are happy with :flipoff2:

I have 4 80 series, 2 with factory lockers, 1 with arb lockers, and 1 with TJM air lockers.

I prefer the factory lockers providing they’ve been taken care of, and as soon as you buy the vehicle you replace all seals and Orings AND run an extended breather line.

I also massively prefer TJM lockers to the ARB design, just work better and not relying on the internal bonded seal.

I’ve also got ARB lockers in my 60 and have had troubles with those as well, and run lunchbox lockers in the 40s which work pretty well off-road (not great onroad).

As above though, the overall condition of the truck is more important that lockers. And rust is the biggest factor for me when choosing a vehicle... mechanical stuff can be fixed pretty easily but repairing rust and repainting a truck is a big job.

In practical/$ terms, the decision to add aftermarket lockers to a non-K294 80 means you’re also looking to kill two birds one stone by doing gears at the same time.

So the actual cost is eg ARB dual compressor + lockers + 4.88 Nitros which is roughly $3K+ for parts alone. Add labor and you’re pushing $3.5-4K which ends up being a bit of a wash.

While I have actually purchased a non-locked 80 in my past, I’d always buy a factory locked 80 heretofore because I’m greedy and all the cool kids I know have it.

I want it all. 😁

ARBs are stronger units than the OE e lockers.

They also are annoying and will leak at some point. It won't prevent them from working most likely but it is annoying.

They also are annoying and will leak at some point. It won't prevent them from working most likely but it is annoying.
Why is everyone always so concerned with the perceived strength of everything? Are OEM lockers failing left and right because they are weaker? Most of the 'what is STRONGER and most HARDCORE' talk seems like a waste of time.

So far everyone i've met who bashes on elockers doesn't have them in their rig. Pretty sure it's turned into the "I didn't buy a rig with them so i'm going to try to make myself feel better by bashing them" situation. See it all day on the LC bookface groups.
Maybe everyone should just go drive their cruisers instead of worrying about which locker is best.
You either have oem elockers or don't. If you dont then you decide if you want to add them and deal with it then.

I don't understand why this has to keep being a thing.,
It's like buying a WRX and then trying to justify that it's better than an STi because you can put a 6 speed in if you want later with the 5k you saved...

Are they though?

Have you seen a busted OEM lockers?

I know people twist axles, haven't heard of a broken locker. Not saying it hasn't happened, just not aware of any.

I will say the main disadvantage of the factory lockers is if you break an axle you either need to find a locker specific replacement, or have something custom made. Likewise, if you bend or damage the diff housing you need to find a specific locker replacement. Whereas aftermarket lockers all use standard parts...

So far everyone i've met who bashes on elockers doesn't have them in their rig. Pretty sure it's turned into the "I didn't buy a rig with them so i'm going to try to make myself feel better by bashing them" situation. See it all day on the LC bookface groups.
Maybe everyone should just go drive their cruisers instead of worrying about which locker is best.
You either have oem elockers or don't. If you dont then you decide if you want to add them and deal with it then.

I don't understand why this has to keep being a thing.,
It's like buying a WRX and then trying to justify that it's better than an STi because you can put a 6 speed in if you want later with the 5k you saved...
I had them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom