ARB'd FJ62 vs H3

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

AndersN

SILVER Star
Threads
Well on Monday I let my brother borrow my cruiser and when he was about 300 yards from where he was going a woman ran a red light in an H3. He hit her passenger side in the front. An offset collision on both cars. I'll let the pictures do the talking but I think it saved my cruiser from damage that would for sure have totaled it. She doesn't have insurance so that just made the situation even better.

Insurance company was going to Total it at $3100 but he worked with me and told me he didn't want to, he liked these old things. He got it up to $2800 in damages so less my $1000 deductible I have $1800 to get it fixed.

Going to look at a parts 60 tonight. Always wanted a 60 front end.

Does anyone have any tips on doing this type of work? Have never messed with body work so I'm going in blind.
image-3601056286.jpg
image-2612706098.jpg

Check the frame real close. As bad as that bumper looks it may have bent the front of the frame up. If the frame was bent I think I would let them total the vehicle. Unless it just a offroad vehicle.

Assuming your frame isn't damaged...you have:

both inner fenders
both outer fenders
hood
radiator support
radiator (potential)
AC lines (potential)
Headlight assemblies
Headlight doors
blinker assemblies
front valence
front bumper
grille
paint

Edit: and bumper

$2800 might not have been doing you any favors...

Was her H3 financed? If so, she is required to have full coverage. You may have a case against her above and beyond your own coverage, including your deductible.

Last edited:
Driving a bummer without insurance? Was it being driven by Houston Nutt's wife??

Everything is always more than what I think but I agree, $2800 isn't going to go a long ways on this kind of damage. Bummer.

umpqua said:
Driving a bummer without insurance? Was it being driven by Houston Nutt's wife??

Everything is always more than what I think but I agree, $2800 isn't going to go a long ways on this kind of damage. Bummer.

haha but its not even $2800 poor guy only got 1800 after deductible.

Question is why do you care about it being totaled? Salvaged title? On this old of a truck it doesn't really hurt resale. I say take the more money then go are her in small claims for your deductible and any additional costs your insurance doesn't cover. don't let her get away with not having insurance. s*** isn't right. Stupid ass people. Gets me all pissed off!

Never mind did the math finally and 300 isn't worth a salvaged title and what you would have to pay to buy it back.

Still sue her dumb ass!

Dude. That sucks. Hope everything works out in your favor. Sad to see a beautiful cruiser look like this. :(.

Thanks Cody Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Looks like under the hood is fine, my brother actually drove it home.

Went to take some more pictures and just realized that the axle/suspension took a good lick too. He was going about 30 and she must have been going 30+ through the intersection so it's not too suprising.

If you look between the steering and the shock you can see the bent drivers side leaf spring. It also looks as if the angle of the spring is pushing the axle forward.

You guys think it's worth it. Mind you all I got a check for was $1800.
image-3632459496.jpg
image-611761799.jpg
image-2650924652.jpg

Also the passenger side fender is stopping the passenger door from opening. Could this be a sign that the frame is bent? The impact was on the drivers side. This is the door trying to open, opens only a couple inches.
image-1533763069.jpg

ga89hoss said:
Also the passenger side fender is stopping the passenger door from opening. Could this be a sign that the frame is bent? The impact was on the drivers side. This is the door trying to open, opens only a couple inches.

Doesn't necessarily mean the frame is bent. The passenger fender could of gotten pushed back. Have to check the frame to be sure

My money is on the front frame sections are bent.

I am getting it towed to have the frame checked tomorrow so I've got my fingers crossed that everything will turn out for the best. And no I have not accepted the offer so there would be some negotiating hopefully if I let it get totaled.

Thanks for all the help

Good, you didn't accept the offer yet.

Now, first things first, get an independent estimate on the damage, including checking the frame. Including everything, including paint work. You are going to be surprised. But tell them you aren't looking to pad the estimate for totaling purposes, just what will actually need to be done.

Second, start collecting every receipt you have for work done, other than preventative maintenance. And start looking at "comparable vehicles" IN YOUR AREA for sale so the insurance company knows what it will cost to replace it. Prices for these rigs are very "region specific"

Their $3100/totaled offer is a first volley, the offer they hope they can get away with. It's a negotiation and that is their jump off point. They were also hoping that an offer not to total it and $2800 would entice you into jumping on it before you found out how much it was going to take to fix it (upwards of $5K-$6K i'm guessing)

You also need to start looking into suing the uninsured driver. Especially if fault was attributed to her at the incident site by the LEO's.

Good, you didn't accept the offer yet.

Now, first things first, get an independent estimate on the damage, including checking the frame. Including everything, including paint work. You are going to be surprised. But tell them you aren't looking to pad the estimate for totaling purposes, just what will actually need to be done.

Second, start collecting every receipt you have for work done, other than preventative maintenance. And start looking at "comparable vehicles" IN YOUR AREA for sale so the insurance company knows what it will cost to replace it. Prices for these rigs are very "region specific"

Their $3100/totaled offer is a first volley, the offer they hope they can get away with. It's a negotiation and that is their jump off point. They were also hoping that an offer not to total it and $2800 would entice you into jumping on it before you found out how much it was going to take to fix it (upwards of $5K-$6K i'm guessing)

You also need to start looking into suing the uninsured driver. Especially if fault was attributed to her at the incident site by the LEO's.

Very sound advice!!! Take that and run with it.

dbleon said:
Very sound advice!!! Take that and run with it.

X 3 on that!

-Daniel

Sent from deep in the mountains of Honduras using only sticks and rocks.

X 3 on that!

-Daniel

Sent from deep in the mountains of Honduras using only sticks and rocks.

One more in favor of this.
How much was your rig insured for? I had a ton of work done on mine in the last few years. I faxed a pile of receipts to my insurance agent (Allstate) and it is now insured for my declared value (~$15K).

Glad everyone is OK.

Heck there are plenty of 62...here in memphis that we could use to show value...

pm if you need some help establishing value on your 62 in this area...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom