ARBadaptor vs. Hi-Liftadaptor w/ARB Bullbar? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I would appreciate anyone's opinion on whether it is better to get the ARB adaptor that fits onto a hi-lift jack or if it is better to get the Hi-Lift adaptor which fits onto several makes and models of bumpers? My local 4x4 shop was out of the ARB specific adaptor but they had the Hi-Lift
"one size fits all adaptor" the sales rep stated that the adaptor I got would work well on an ARB bumper. Any opinions or experiences are appreciated. Thanks. :beer: For All!

Never saw the hi-lift adaptall, but just be carefull with whatever you get. Hi-lifts can be very handy, but also very dangerous.

Remember you can always use a rachet strap to strap the axle so you don't have to go as high as otherwise.

Be safe.

I'm with Junk on this one...I've always been a bit worried about putting something as big, heavy and sharp on a front bumper.

It may be ok off road, but there is no way I would drive with it on the road - if you are ever in an accident, I would think that the mount would shear and then you could have some real problems (like a really big, pointy, heavy projectile right at windshield height) :(. Maybe one of the resident pysicists on the list could calculate the force on the mounts of a 50lb jack (or more?) going from 65mph to 0 is some short span of time (3 sec?).

I don't think the rear mounts suffer the same problem and while a roof rack mount may be better, (ie unlikely to come into the cab), it would still come off

Mine is safely (hopefully) stowed with two ratchet straps behind my cargo barrier.

Cheers, Hugh

I am assuming that the question is for the use of the Hi-Lift, not the stored mounting of the jack.

I have the same question about the best attachment.
These rigs have so much flex in the suspension that lifting from the bumper takes a tall jack - making it more likely to slip as the angle changes as it lifts.

Junk, you mentioned a rachet strap. Does this attach the Hi-Lift to the axle or is the Hi-Lift not used? What is your technique?

Sorry for the confusion, what I wanted to know is which adaptor works well to LIFT a vehicle that has an ARB bullbar. In other words, ARB makes this little adaptor where the flat lifting edge of the Hi-Lift inserts into to lift the bumper and the vehicle and Hi-Lift also makes this general purpose adaptor that has a chain and a hook and a slot that will work with "most curved bumpers" according to advertising on the Hi-Lift adaptor's packaging. I would like to know which works with the ARB the best. Thanks. Ohh, what is an axle strap? Thanks :beer: For All!

On vehicles that have recovery shackle mounts such as Slee bumpers and the like you can hook the jack to the recovery shackle. Just remember its a tippy hilift you are dealing with.

ahhh, sorry for the confusion... :-[ :-[

Okay, thanks for the information but will the Hi-Lift bumper adaptor work on an ARB? Thanks.

rachet strap goes around axle and frame rail to prevent what's called Cdan droop. This way, you only have to jack up a little vs a lot.

Clarification...
"This way, you only have to jack up a little vs a lot" to lift a tyre.

-B-

notice it said up and not off. :flipoff2: :D :D :D :D

good clarification though. We don't need anyone getting anything in the eye again like that one previous thread. :D

no, the Hi Lift adapter is made more for a normal bumper(like the stock one) its needs to slip under the bottom edge of the bumper, even if it did work it would be extra dangerous on a 80, would prolly slide right off the bumper.

The ARB adapter is the better option, but not that great.

JohnH

[quote author=turbocruiser link=board=2;threadid=9627;start=msg85139#msg85139 date=1073351694]
Okay, thanks for the information but will the Hi-Lift bumper adaptor work on an ARB? Thanks.
[/quote]

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=2;threadid=9627;start=msg85461#msg85461 date=1073405043]
No, the Hi Lift adapter is made more for a normal bumper(like the stock one) its needs to slip under the bottom edge of the bumper, even if it did work it would be extra dangerous on a 80, would prolly slide right off the bumper.

The ARB adapter is the better option, but not that great.

JohnH
[/quote]

Okay, thanks so much, I will return the hi-lift generic adaptor and get the ARB specific adaptor for lifting the front of the vehicle. I assume that lifting with the hi-lift off of the rear hitch would be safer than using that hi-lift adaptor on the curved edge of the stock rear bumper. I am still interested in the safest way to use the hi-lift for the rear of the vehicle and I would love to learn from the much more experienced wheelers...what is the safest way to lift the landcruiser using a hi-lift? Thanks again, Mr. Landpimp, I appreciate the advice. :beer: For All!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom