ARB & Winch - no lift (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up a new to us '02. Plan is for my son and me to baseline everything and get her cleaned up for when he turns '16 in a couple months. Our deal is his mom and I paid for the truck, but he has to have some skin in the game, so he has to pay for the timing belt and water pump (which are both long over-due) and I will match him $ for $ on anything else he wants to do to the truck. He's already talking tires. So, after those 2 projects, he is about out of running out of $!

One of the bigger issues we face is the PO put on an ARB and winch, but the truck does not have a lift on it. he doesnt know this, but It doesnt ride very well and the front end really sags. What options do we have besides OME or removing the winch? Theres likely some really dumb questions, but here goes...can we simply turn up the torsion bars (isnt this just for looks/ clearance? the ride cant improve)? Are there front spacers available? Can you just lift the front to even her out? We searched quite a bit and couldnt come up with any real budget-friendly options.

Picked up a new to us '02. Plan is for my son and me to baseline everything and get her cleaned up for when he turns '16 in a couple months. Our deal is his mom and I paid for the truck, but he has to have some skin in the game, so he has to pay for the timing belt and water pump (which are both long over-due) and I will match him $ for $ on anything else he wants to do to the truck. He's already talking tires. So, after those 2 projects, he is about out of running out of $!

One of the bigger issues we face is the PO put on an ARB and winch, but the truck does not have a lift on it. he doesnt know this, but It doesnt ride very well and the front end really sags. What options do we have besides OME or removing the winch? Theres likely some really dumb questions, but here goes...can we simply turn up the torsion bars (isnt this just for looks/ clearance? the ride cant improve)? Are there front spacers available? Can you just lift the front to even her out? We searched quite a bit and couldnt come up with any real budget-friendly options.

I'm running a arb bull bar and 10k winch on factory torsion bars. Yes it's possible, just crank up. Better jack up front from frame/center when cracking them up

Did I miss something? Is it a LX or LC? Can't crank torsion bars to raise the LX due to the AHC.

I'm running a arb bull bar and 10k winch on factory torsion bars. Yes it's possible, just crank up. Better jack up front from frame/center when cracking them up
x2. Crank the adjusting bolts or re-index the torsion bars. If you still don’t like the ride, then just spend $200 to buy OME torsion bars.

I've driven a 100 with front bumper and winch with factory springs. IMO they allow for too much roll for an evasive maneuver.

It is up to you and my advice will be different than those above. They are right that you can just crank the bars and run it.

I would take the aftermarket bumper and winch off and sell it- so he can put the money into maintenance, tires, and some other upgrades that he wants. If you keep the bumper setup, I would go to aftermarket torsion bars and a more dampened shock.

Teenagers have fast reflexes that outpace their driving experience. While its only my opinion, I did roll a car as a teen. 12 months after getting my license while going the speed limit I swerved to avoid a deer and did some car gymnastics. I was unbelievably fortunate and neither I nor my passengers had any lasting injuries, but it definitely gave me pause and caused me to be a more defensive driver as well as becoming very detailed about maintenance and performance.

Tires, good brakes, tight suspension, and factory crumple zones, and a cheap dash cam would be my list. You already picked a solid vehicle.

Last edited:
thanks all appreciate it. If I do OME torsion bars, or crank up do you have to do a dif drop?

thanks all appreciate it. If I do OME torsion bars, or crank up do you have to do a dif drop?

If you're getting it back to stock ride height, no - you'll be at factory angles and the CV's will likely be happier than they are now.

If you go to a mild lift height of 1-1.5", maybe - depending on if your CV's aren't happy about the new angle they are at.

If you go to 1.5-3" of lift, then you will likely have some mild vibrations from the CV's and will want to do a diff drop.

I installed a hidden winch in the front and my rear oem springs have 1" spacers. My driverside torsion bar is cranked to max and the rake is pretty significant so I just ordered the Ironman torsion bars to try and level things out. I think my oem torsion bars are pretty fatigued at this point and just didn't have enough left (without re-indexing) to get me there with the extra weight. I'll be adding sliders in the next couple of weeks so my problems would have gotten even worse.

you are dead on. I was having a brain fart....thanks! Torsion bars are the only way to go

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom