ARB Springs same BUT OEM springs different. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The ARB 2724 Springs same BUT Toyota OEM springs different.

I have a problem with rear lean .because of this difference in spring length.

This is on my 2016.

The BP-51 Lift rear spring version Old Man Emu 2724 came in the box and the springs are the same height.
BUT
The Toyota rear OEM springs are different height.

After installation of the BP-71 the driver side on the rear is higher than the passenger side BECAUSE the ARB 2724 springs are not different heights like the Toyota Spring are.

The factory Toyota driver side spring is shorter than the passenger side spring. The driver side is approx. 16.5" and the passenger side is 17-3/4".

When the ARB springs are installed they are the same height so they then lift the driver side more than the passenger side.

This 1-1/4" difference now makes my driver side 1-1/4" higher because of the springs.

This is not a KDSS issue. It is the springs from ARB.

Has anyone else dealt with this SPRING problem, and what did you do about it?

Passenger Toyota Spring Length

P5190162.JPG

Driver Side Rear Toyota Spring Length/Height.

P5190163.JPG

Last edited:
Are your springs labeled L(eft) and R(ight)? Is it possible they shipped the same springs?

Is this a guess?

There were no instructions, and I just assumed they were the same left and right, until I noticed this leaning problem.

They ARB springs were NOT labeled left and right, so I'll need to remove them to measure them. I remember they looked the same at a glance.
I'll call ARB tech on Monday before removing them.

This is the Toyota factory rear springs side by side.

Likely the root of the ARB LEAN problem.

P5190150.JPG

ARB/OME springs come with a label wrapped on them with a part number and an "A" on one spring and a "B" on the other spring.

"A" goes on the right/fuel tank side (Australian drive side)
"B" goes on the left/American driver side

King Springworks manufacturers the springs for OME and for ToughDog and they are labeled. My guess is you may have installed them switched and it’s exacerbating the problem.

You might be able to lift the truck to drop the suspension and get a better view of the springs.

On the 200...
...Taller spring goes on the fuel tank side (US passenger side).

I think OP is saying both are the same length. Where did you buy them? One should def be longer than the other.

Thanks... will swap them this week. ... and take a good look at them when I take them out. And look for the "A" and "B".

At a glance when installing them without instructions they looked the same to me.. but perhaps I missed the "A" and "B" .

Last edited:
Thanks... will swap them this week. ... and take a good look at them when I take them out. And look for the "A" and "B".

At a glance when installing them without instructions they looked the same to me.. but perhaps I missed the "A" and "B" .

The difference is not visually dramatic...

I called and I'll be adding two 10mm spacers to the passenger side this week to resolve this issue.

Apparently this is a known issue, and the difference between the A and B is also only 10mm.

10+10+10=30mm = correction of 1.18 inches .. near the same.

Last edited:
Seems like that defeats the purpose of new springs. The larger (taller) spring for the passenger side (US) is designed to compensate for the added weight of the fuel tank, fuel, and associated components. Putting a spacer in may fix your lean, but won't give you the proper spring rate for the added weight on that side of the vehicle.

I think there is something actually wrong here. I’m at ten 200 series suspension installs this year, and I get all of them to sit within 1/8” level left and right.

That’s not with any playing with the KDSS (like pushing up a wheel prior to closing the valves). That’s just adjusting preload and and nitrogen levels. The 200 is easily the flattest sitting Toyota I’ve worked on since the coil sprung IFS showed up in 1995.5. Just my opinion though.

Just hate to see you “fix” something that wasn’t the problem. And not address a deeper issue.

I just put 2724’s back on (a different set than my original set of 24’s) and did not have this problem.

Something does seem weird here, and agree with Taco. -Might be putting a bandaid over an infected woulnd. Better to clean the wound before covering it with stuff...

Wondering if you somehow got a goofy mismatched set?? Or...?

I spent some time with ARB Tech and Marketing, and this is what is going on from what I have been told.

The 2724 springs are built for the earlier Land Cruiser 200 versions.
The difference between the "A" and the "B" spring is 10 mm however the Toyota difference on the 2016+ is about 1.25" from my measurements.

ARB marketing has decided to not build new springs for the 2016+ models and their band aid is to apply spacers.
ARB springs have 10 mm difference and that is not the approx. 1.25"on the factory spring difference on the 2016+.

This is twice this week I have found out that ARB Marketing has decided to not support the 2016+ LC200's.

If I had known this Marketing Spring thing ahead of time I would have gone with different manufacture for the rear springs.

That is ARB Marketing issue #1.

#2 issue this week
Front locker for the 2016+ LC200's not available.
ARB marketing has decided they are not going to design a front locker for the 2016+ LC200's running the 3.307 gears.
All Land Cruisers 2016+ with the 8 speed Auto run 3.307 gears. I checked with Toyota.

The 3.307 is what they call a thick gear. So there is room in the rear to run the rear ARB RD152 air locker but not enough room in the front to run the ARB RD151 locker.

For a Land Cruiser owner with a 2016+ and 8 speed auto, to run ARB Lockers it is going to be very pricey. They need to re-gear to a thin gear setup front and rear plus extra parts due to the thin gear.

Before obtaining these other facts on my Leaning Issue I did think my lean issue may have been a KDSS issue and did try 3 different methods on leveling the KDSS. Open valves flat, up on a 4x4 up on an 8x8. Problem is definitely the ARB spring height difference; A fit problem due to some Marketing decision.

Any suggestions are welcome, ...

Last edited:
I spent some time with ARB Tech and Marketing, and this is what is going on from what I have been told.

The 2724 springs are built for the earlier Land Cruiser 200 versions.
The difference between the "A" and the "B" spring is 10 mm however the Toyota difference on the 2016+ is about 1.25" from my measurements.

ARB marketing has decided to not build new springs for the 2016+ models and their band aid is to apply spacers.
ARB springs have 10 mm difference and that is not the approx. 1.25"on the factory spring difference on the 2016+.

This is twice this week I have found out that ARB Marketing has decided to not support the 2016+ LC200's.

If I had known this Marketing Spring thing ahead of time I would have gone with different manufacture for the rear springs.

That is ARB Marketing issue #1.

#2 issue this week
Front locker for the 2016+ LC200's not available.
ARB marketing has decided they are not going to design a front locker for the 2016+ LC200's running the 3.307 gears.
All Land Cruisers 2016+ with the 8 speed Auto run 3.307 gears. I checked with Toyota.

The 3.307 is what they call a thick gear. So there is room in the rear to run the rear ARB RD152 air locker but not enough room in the front to run the ARB RD151 locker.

For a Land Cruiser owner with a 2016+ and 8 speed auto, to run ARB Lockers it is going to be very pricey. They need to re-gear to a thin gear setup front and rear plus extra parts due to the thin gear.

Before obtaining these other facts on my Leaning Issue I did think my lean issue may have been a KDSS issue and did try 3 different methods on leveling the KDSS. Open valves flat, up on a 4x4 up on an 8x8. Problem is definitely the ARB spring height difference is not a fit due to some Marketing decision.

Wow. Interesting they are skipping the change.

Very strange there would be a rear spring height difference since no changes were noted in that area with the 16.

This is how it sits now ... I do like the BP-51 wheel travel.

Skids and sliders next week. Then a bumper, winch and extended tank from Ward June.

P5170001.JPG

P5170008.JPG

Last edited:
I was looking at the basic OME twintube nitros for my 2016. This spring issue concerns me. I've also been looking at the Dobisons. The D's are cheaper and they offer more spring options. I'll check to see how, if at all, they're addressing the 2016+ spring height differences.

@Fisher23 The 2016 take-off springs were ~1.25" different by your measurements? I also wonder if @TRAIL TAILOR has experienced this issue with their installs of ToughDog and the TT long travel springs.

Spring differences... 2016.

Driver Side.

P5190157.JPG

Passenger Side

P5190158.JPG

I was looking at the basic OME twintube nitros for my 2016. This spring issue concerns me. I've also been looking at the Dobisons. The D's are cheaper and they offer more spring options. I'll check to see how, if at all, they're addressing the 2016+ spring height differences.

@Fisher23 The 2016 take-off springs were ~1.25" different by your measurements? I also wonder if @TRAIL TAILOR has experienced this issue with their installs of ToughDog and the TT long travel springs.

TD springs and TourFlex (like OME) springs are made by King in Australia. As said above the taller spring goes to the gas tank side. TD and my TourFlex are 10-30mm longer on the tank side. I'm close to level to 1/4" off (pending customer loads) on all my spring installs. I think this would be the same for OME and Dobinson. These companies have 1000s of these spring sets out in the field. Sounds like a possible install issue with swapping springs or KDSS relief/operation during install.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom