ARB Snorkel fitment issues? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nor_cal_cyclist

GOLD Star
Threads
Wondering if any other 16+ 200's have installed the ARB/Safari snorkel? I had heard the fit wasn't as snug as the 5th Gen 4Runners, but didn't realize there's a decent sized gap near the bottom of the A-pillar...and a smaller one at the front of the unit where it meets the fender. Anyone have a "fix" or does the a-pillar not make any added wind noise? I figure I can get some rubber welting to clean up the fender if needed, but that a-pillar???

Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 6.25.33 PM.png

I waited until this year when they finally had one specifically for 16+; I don't have the gaps you're showing.

IMG_0094.jpg
IMG_0095.jpg

The Dobinsons snorkel i put on my 2011 doesn't have that gap at all. Cole may be on to something there....

This may be a silly question, but you got the snorkel for the 16+, right?

I have no gap. I have the snorkel ARB marketed Safari Snorkel for the 5.7 engine. It is the newest one out. I have a 2016 and the part number is SS89HPE.

I have no gap. I have the snorkel ARB marketed Safari Snorkel for the 5.7 engine. It is the newest one out. I have a 2016 and the part number is SS89HPE.

Ah, yeah, that’s right. I forgot it wasn’t a pre/post facelift issue.

Well - confirmed, per the shop: they called ARB to order my parts, and the wrong part was shipped. New one coming today or tomorrow, and then we'll see how bad this is. Best case scenario is the studs and a-pillar anchors all line up and old comes off and new goes on. Misaglinment of fender studs are next in the good---->bad scale, as the panel can easily be replaced if I want. Worst case is the a-pillar doesn't line up. I have NO idea how to fix/repair that issue.

Thanks for all the input - will keep you posted how it turns out after we get the new/correct part.

This is mine .. part listed above. included a template .. no brainer to install it.

P9150036.JPG

A WARNING to all considering a snorkel - due to the update in '16, double check your part number BEFORE cutting/drilling anything. The shop I am working with is being VERY helpful/supportive, but I still wanted others to see that the 2 parts will NOT line up correctly, and the "fix" is potentially expensive (replace the fender, re-cut/drill, and make a custom bracket for the a-pillar), and will leave a blemish on the CarFax report (depending on how the repair is taken care of).

IMG_2856.jpeg
IMG_2857.jpeg

Last edited:
A WARNING to all considering a snorkel - due to the update in '16, double check your part number BEFORE cutting/drilling anything. The shop I am working with is being VERY helpful/supportive, but I still wanted others to see that the 2 parts will NOT line up correctly, and the "fix" is potentially expensive (replace the fender, re-cut/drill, and make a custom bracket for the a-pillar), and will leave a blemish on the CarFax report.

View attachment 2092310View attachment 2092312
Ouch! Sorry you’re having to deal with this.

and will leave a blemish on the CarFax report.

I don't understand this. How will it leave a blemish on the carfax report? Are you going through insurance to fix the fender and A-pillar? Are you having a body shop do this work on a claim? The shop tried to install the wrong part? Did you order it and bring it to them? If they ordered the wrong part, tried to install it, and left holes in your vehicle I'd make them pay for the repairs.

I don't understand this. How will it leave a blemish on the carfax report? Are you going through insurance to fix the fender and A-pillar? Are you having a body shop do this work on a claim? The shop tried to install the wrong part? Did you order it and bring it to them? If they ordered the wrong part, tried to install it, and left holes in your vehicle I'd make them pay for the repairs.

As I stated, the shop got the wrong part (they called ARB and told them they have a 2019 they need a front bumper/lockers/snorkel for and ARB sent the wrong snorkel). The shop is in fact paying for (and bending over backwards to make sure I 'm satisfied with) the "fix." They are getting a new fender and installing the correct snorkel (making a custom fabricated bracket to use the already drilled holes in the a-pillar). It is in fact a Toyota shop doing the work, so initially the body shop indicated a CarFax hit - after further consideration, they are going to skip that for me (and the dealership I'm buying the truck from). Honestly, for this type of build, my documentation & picts would be more than enough for another serious wheeler to still purchase the truck....if and when I ever decide to move onto another. I'll edit that part of the earlier post now.

Last edited:
OP...can you confirm with the shop for the correct pat number?

The earlier model snorkel is #ARB-SS88HPE
the unit for the '16+ trucks is #ARB-SS89HPE

Per the ARB site

The earlier model snorkel is #ARB-SS88HPE
the unit for the '16+ trucks is #ARB-SS89HPE

Per the ARB site
Man what a bummer but great that the shop is sticking by the job. What shop is it ? I am in California as well.

A WARNING to all considering a snorkel - due to the update in '16, double check your part number BEFORE cutting/drilling anything. The shop I am working with is being VERY helpful/supportive, but I still wanted others to see that the 2 parts will NOT line up correctly, and the "fix" is potentially expensive (replace the fender, re-cut/drill, and make a custom bracket for the a-pillar), and will leave a blemish on the CarFax report (depending on how the repair is taken care of).

View attachment 2092310View attachment 2092312

Hate to break it to ya...but...

...If your shop couldn’t fit the Safari snorkel without custom fab or pillar mods...it means someone simply ordered the wrong snorkel model.

The Safari snorkel recently installed on Cole’s ‘16 fits like a glove...just as well as the one designed for my 2008 that I recently installed myself.

Hate to break it to ya...but...

...If your shop couldn’t fit the Safari snorkel without custom fab or pillar mods...it means someone simply ordered the wrong snorkel model.

The Safari snorkel recently installed on Cole’s ‘16 fits like a glove...just as well as the one designed for my 2008 that I recently installed myself.

As the picts showed, the earlier model snorkel does indeed more or less fit the truck, and hooks up to the air box - so it was fully functional. I caught the asthetics of the gap at the bottom of the a-pillar after it was installed (I've installed a few myself - this was an opportunity to purchase a "turn key custom built truck" to replace a fully built 2017 4Runner, so I let the dealership/shop do the work for convenience).

Post #11 showed the difference in the "big hole" from the old style snorkel and where things line up with the newer model. No question - wrong part delivered and installed. Good news is it's being fixed, without any structural damage, nor any additional holes in the a-pillar.

@waybigdog - not a Cali shop. I purchased my truck out of State.

Last edited:
As the picts showed, the earlier model snorkel does indeed more or less fit the truck, and hooks up to the air box - so it was fully functional. I caught the asthetics of the gap at the bottom of the a-pillar after it was installed (I've installed a few myself - this was an opportunity to purchase a "turn key custom built truck" to replace a fully built 2017 4Runner, so I let the dealership/shop do the work for convenience).

Post #11 showed the difference in the "big hole" from the old style snorkel and where things line up with the newer model. No question - wrong part delivered and installed. Good news is it's being fixed, without any structural damage, nor any additional holes in the a-pillar.

@waybigdog - not a Cali shop. I purchased my truck out of State.

Glad to hear it will still line up with the holes.
I didn’t see the entire thread, so maybe my response was no longer relevant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom