ARB Side Rails on SWB 70 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am planning on purchasing the ARB bull bar for my '91 PZJ70 (SWB), and I also want to get the side bars that come off the bull bar, protect the fenders a bit, and run under the door. However, ARB only offers them for the 75/longer wheel base version. I was wondering if anyone has ever modified them to fit a SWB? It seems like it would be easy enough to cut out a straight section from the under the door segment and weld it back together to fit the shorter wheel base, right?

Example below, not my rig.
1684938074747.png

I am planning on purchasing the ARB bull bar for my '91 PZJ70 (SWB), and I also want to get the side bars that come off the bull bar, protect the fenders a bit, and run under the door. However, ARB only offers them for the 75/longer wheel base version. I was wondering if anyone has ever modified them to fit a SWB? It seems like it would be easy enough to cut out a straight section from the under the door segment and weld it back together to fit the shorter wheel base, right?

Example below, not my rig.
View attachment 3331137
Seems simple enough, but I'm not an engineer.

Where are you getting the side rails from? I cannot find them via a US distributor.

Depending on your welding/fabrication skills, I would expect that the answer is yes the long wheel base sliders from ARB could be modified as you outlined. Follow your vision.

I went a different route ... I like the functionality of the fender protection that the ARB bars provide, but designed/implemented my own vision. Below is a picture of my solution.

20220319_103759.jpg

LD, I like what you did there. I too am mostly looking for the fender protection, and I like how it looks tied in with the OEM step. The tube bending is the part I am unfamiliar with, but I like learning new stuff. What kind of bender did you use/would you use if you had to do it again? I'll just get the bumper for now, and while I wait for that to arrive start some research on making my own side bar. Thanks for the help and inspiration.

For clarification, I removed the OEM steps. The fender guards bolt to the rock sliders that I made. For me (my objectives), the OEM steps would not have been a viable choice to tie into (they were not intended to see the kind of loads that the fender guards might transfer).

I used DOM tubing for the guards and bars. A friend had a tubing bender that he allowed me to use for the project. It worked great and there was a lot that I had to learn on this project. I don't recall the manufacturer of his bender but it is my understanding that it is not extremely expense to purchase.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom