ARB Sahara Installation Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In the process of installing an ARB Sahara bumper on my 2003 LC (part #3913160) and have a couple of questions for those that are running this bumper. I emailed ARB but have not received a reply yet.

1. What are these two metal brackets (in attached picture)? Are they just used for shipping or are they used on the bumper installation? I don't see any mention of them in the instructions aside from Step 1 where it says "remove winch mount from bumper by removing plated brackets."

2. Is the bumper only attached to the winch mount by the six m12x40 mm bolts? What keeps it from moving forward or backwards during contact or up or down when weight is applied?

3. I assume the bumper for the 2003-2007 LC's does not include the rubber extrusion? I assume also that I just try to raise it as high/close to body as possible to minimize gap?

Here are the instructions I am using:

http://store.arbusa.com/Assets/file/3913140I.PDF

They are for part number 3913140 (sahara bumper for the 98-02 LCs)

Thanks in advance!

1-I’m not sure what those brackets are for, I didn’t install them on mine.

2- Yes IIRC

3- Only the 98-02 come with the rubber strips. Not sure why but I read somewhere that the 03-07 do not require them.

1-I’m not sure what those brackets are for, I didn’t install them on mine.

2- Yes IIRC

3- Only the 98-02 come with the rubber strips. Not sure why but I read somewhere that the 03-07 do not require them.

Thanks for the reply! So have you had any issues with the bumper moving or adjusting after you set it and tightened the six bolts?

Thanks for the reply! So have you had any issues with the bumper moving or adjusting after you set it and tightened the six bolts?

It’s been rock solid with no issues after 2 years. To be honest I think I only have 4 of the 6 bolts installed.:D

When you get it on please post some pics. I’m still trying to decide between the Slee and the Sahara. No matter how many photos I see it never seems to be enough!

When you get it on please post some pics. I’m still trying to decide between the Slee and the Sahara. No matter how many photos I see it never seems to be enough!

Both are great, I have a Sahara and my bud has the Slee Blueberry. Both are really well made. Here's my quick comparison...

Slee:
  • Amazing build quality from welds, bends and powder coat.
  • Way better approach angle
  • Fits bigger winches
  • No provision for fog lights
  • Requires cutting the frame
  • Has a very noticeable gap under the headlights... like 1"+
  • Average weight for the design.
  • Would be the better choice for playing in the rocks.
ARB Sahara:
  • Amazing build quality, no detail left behind.
  • Front hoop for animal strikes
  • Fog lights IPF on mine and they rock.
  • Can fit up to a 9000 lb winch.
  • ZERO recover points built in... I big oversight in my mind.
  • Powder coat is okay, but not great. I have some light surface rust underneath after 2 years.
  • No cutting the frame
  • Relatively light weight for the design.
  • Refined design, especially when color matched.
To the OP,

1. Drop the brackets they are for shipping, mine didn't even come with those.
2. Yup, your bumper (and all aftermarket bumpers) are going to move when weight is applied, even bomber sliders like my SLEE step sliders move under the weight of the rig. It is the nature of steel.
3. I have an early version circa 2000 and it has the two molded rubber pieces. They are a nice touch, but will likely do as much harm as good as they work grit back and forth while closing the gap. It's a catch 22 for me.

You will need to add a set of recovery points to the front. The Trail Tailor set I got are bomber and compatible with the Sahara mounting system.

IIRC, you install the bolts to secure the bumper to the winch mount, then drill holes and install nuts and bolts to "pin" everything in place.

It will move on you when you use it to gently nudge large trees out of your way. See attached photo, you can see the rub mark on the bumper, and the black DP on the fender where it got scratched when the bumper moved up and into it.

IMG_3432.JPG

IIRC, you install the bolts to secure the bumper to the winch mount, then drill holes and install nuts and bolts to "pin" everything in place.

It will move on you when you use it to gently nudge large trees out of your way. See attached photo, you can see the rub mark on the bumper, and the black DP on the fender where it got scratched when the bumper moved up and into it.

View attachment 1656453

I didn’t drill anything on my Sahara bar (it didn’t mention it in the instructions). It’s been on for a few years now and it’s still solid.

I did have to drill a few holes for the ARB bumper on my Tacoma.

I appreciate all of the input. Still a work in progress but here is a pic as she sits now:

I am going to take it back off this weekend when my winch control bracket comes in to mount the winch control box to the bumper. I also ordered a flip up license plate bracket to go in front of the hawse fairlead. I am also going to re-align it some when in put it back on. Still trying to decide on fog lights.

Looking good. Did you decide to not get the hoop?

Yes, not a fan of the hoop. And I also highly recommend upgrading suspension when installing an aftermarket bumper and winch. Hopefully I will have time to put on my OME/Slee kit this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom