ARB Roof Rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

that's obviously not true, since i bought my rack directly from ARB USA. I was told that the rack i purchased was the last rack they planned on importing; but i don't believe that either since that was about 3 years ago.

The rack is definitely solid - and heavy. I have several scratches from putting the rack on the truck. I can never seem to find anyone strong enough and tall enough to help put it on. I did set up a lifting system in my garage to prevent scratches but when I went to 33" tires, the truck won't fit in the garage with the rack.

If you are a city dweller and frequent underground parking areas, the rack will get in the way. When I go to the airport I'm forced to park in the oversized lot which is an inconvenience. For this reason, I only run mine in the summer for camping season. With the purchase of a tent trailer last year, the rack may not even get installed this year.

If you really want to see if there are any for sale in the US, I'd suggest calling ARB in Seattle - (425) 264 1391. I'm sure they would be very helpful.

Tom

Last edited:
Again as usual, thanks for all of the insight. I was doing some personal research and called a local vendor of ARB stuff, and they told me that ARB has never imported these to the US (only for european and austrailian market). I find that hard to believe since many people have them, and they are around. Is this true? I was looking to see what it would cost me new, but I think I got that from you guys.
Thanks again,
-TT

POSER on this BB is an ARB dealer in your area. I am considering the same option. Just not certain how much I would use it.

Check out www.mntoyx4.com for your local club. I live near St Paul and drive a 94 FZJ80

Good luck

POSER on this BB is an ARB dealer in your area. I am considering the same option. Just not certain how much I would use it.

Check out www.mntoyx4.com for your local club. I live near St Paul and drive a 94 FZJ80

Good luck

I'm currently in Minneapolis, but the truck is in Burnsville. Poser is a great guy and can help out I'm sure. He has been a priceless friend and contact to both my dad ('73 FJ40) and I ('94 FZJ80) in our LC lives! I know they are pricey and heavy, but I love the looks!

In Oz we tend to use two major brands, ARB and TJM, though others are available. The full length ones are generally prefered by those who do long distance outback trips where they are a 1000km away from any form of civilisation for weeks at a time.

These roof racks also have many accesories designed to hold shovels, hi-lifts and the like. Many also hang shade awnings off the back and the sides.

They are big, heavy and very beefy in construction and it's for that reason they are prefered. Fuel economy is rarely effected by the rack with the diesel engines (also prefered), these racks are also prefered for outback touring as they can carry more. Depending on how much and how hight you pack the roof rack the diesel engine may consume 1-2ltrs/100km extra but around town there is generally no effect. It's not unusual for an 80 series to weigh 4 ton + on an outback adventure.

In Oz they start at about $1200.

Again as usual, thanks for all of the insight. I was doing some personal research and called a local vendor of ARB stuff, and they told me that ARB has never imported these to the US (only for european and austrailian market). I find that hard to believe since many people have them, and they are around. Is this true?
-TT
There are plenty of dealers around here in the US. When I went searching for ARB info, I had many ARB dealers in my area willing to place the order for me.

http://www.arbusa.com/dealers/index.php

:confused:
I thought they were importing these again. I do recall that they had stopped for a while due to weight and space issues on the containers...but am pretty sure that I read that ARBs are available again.

I have a full length: [SIZE=-1]ARB Roof Racks. Full Rack (87" x 44 "). Part #: ARB1068[/SIZE]

Cons: It is heavy, makes a lot of wind noise and you do lose 1 or 2 MPGs.

Pros: It carries a lot of wieght (I climb around on it when I am loading it up), it looks insane, no one else has them, and you can mount a ton of lilghts on them.

I will be getting rid of it, however, becuase I am moving to DC and it won't fit in any parking garages, which I guess is another con. Not sure I will be selling it, as I would like to put it back on when my 80 is no longer my daily driver.

I will be getting rid of it, however, becuase I am moving to DC and it won't fit in any parking garages, which I guess is another con. Not sure I will be selling it, as I would like to put it back on when my 80 is no longer my daily driver.

funny, you talked yourself right out of selling it within your own post. :cheers: :beer: :D

I've had the ARB full rack with mesh floor on an FJ62 for five years now and it looks and works like the day I first installed it. It is stout enough to work as a photography platform and holds a bunch of gear securely. It does function as a sail whether you have a tailwind or a headwind. A simple sling system in the rafters of my garage makes it fairly easy to install and remove it by myself without worries. Now I just need to ask Christo if the same rack and different mounting feet will work on the 80! Haven't checked yet to see if the same feet work for both trucks, 80s noob that I am.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom