1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ARB Roof Rack Damage

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by TomH, Jul 21, 2005.

1. TomH

TomH SILVER Star

Today my wife managed to hit the ARB roof rack as she was backing out of the garage. I'm not exactly sure how it happened since we've been parking it in the garage for months. I knew it was a tight squeeze and would occasionally hear the rack hit a piece of 1/2 inch trim when pulling into the garage.

Anyhow, she manage to slide the rack about 6 inches forward which dug the feet into the seal on the roof and scraped off the vinyl coating on the gutter in a couple of spots.

So, can anybody recommend what type of sealant I should use to fix the damage. How about a way to touch up the vinyl.

Thanks
    Tom
    vinyl.jpg seal.jpg

2. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    Visit a trusted body shop and ask for recommendations.

You may need to replace the drip rail mouldings to complete the cosmetic portion of the repair.

3. mot

mot

OUCH!

Sorry to hear that.

Hope you can get it fixed easily (and cheaply :frown: )

Mot

4. KLF

KLF Frame waxer SILVER Star

3M makes a product called "Drip Chek" (or something like that). A decent auto paint shop can get it for you, may even have it on the shelf.

5. OZCAL

OZCAL

Either the garage door/header is sagging, or the car got taller. Hot weather could make the tyres bigger. Or, hitting the gas or the brakes could momentarily change the pitch of the truck. I had a garage with a driveway that changed pitch under the door. Had to back in.

Sorry about the damage.

David

6. Arya Ebrahimi

Arya Ebrahimi

Dan, were these drip mouldings originally chrome on a '94? Mine are black and look like the chrome peeled off. Also how much do they cost?

7. Tools R Us

Tools R Us

The stuff that scraped off is called seam sealer, available at automotive paint stores. Call Cruiserdan for the replacement moldings.