ARB rear Locker for my 80 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to get an ARB locker for the rear axle of my 96 80 series, before the end of the year. I have checked with Desert Rat and 4Wheel Parts for ordering and install. I have had other projects done at Desert Rat and had good luck with Mark and Darin. Prices are close from both these places About $900 for the locker, $200 for the compressor and about $1000 labor. Desert Rat mentioned replacing some seals and gaskets, also, for slightly more..Plus Taxes.

1.But , I want to know club members' opinions on any other places to get this installed in the ABQ area.. I cannot do the work myself. This above my abilities.

I plan on an ARB locker, ARB small compressor and labor.

2. What other parts might need to be replaced while it is apart? Right now , I have no leaks, stock 4.10 gearing which I am not changing.

Had an ARB locker in my 2006 Jeep Wrangler and it worked very well.
Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.......

I had a front ARB locker plus the small ARB compressor installed in my '98 100 Series LC at Desert Rat, about 18 months ago. This was after I went initially somewhere else, and they directed me to a particular guy who they said was at that time working at, or doing transmission work for, Desert Rat. Sorry, I've forgotten his name.

I didn't get a selection of price quotes; I was concerned above all else with the likely quality and especially the reliability of the install.

I have had no problems with the result, which has worked flawlessly, and I'm very satisfied with the job they did. We had a discussion about where to optimally mount the compressor, which has worked out well. They also told me when I picked up the vehicle, IIRC, that they had moved the diff breathers to a higher location, which I was pleased about.

So one 'thumbs up!' for Desert Rat.

Thanks. I have already moved my diff breathers up high, so maybe they are already good. Igot a chance to really flex my 80 last weekend and I am amazed at what I got through with open diffs. I just had to pick certain lines to keep from spinning the tire without good traction. Sometimes momentum worked.
That said, I had to avoid some lines through the tough stuff, that with a rear locker , I could attack straight on and motor right to the top.. So, I now have "Locker Fever".....:crybaby:....I know there is only one cure. $$$$$$$.

So, I now have "Locker Fever".....:crybaby:....I know there is only one cure. $$$$$$$.

I understand! Just a rear locker can make all the difference between getting over an obstacle or not. My front locker rarely gets used, but it's needed every once in a while...

Here's a vote for the triple-locked experience! Combined with the 100's IFS it's amazing what you can just glide up.

Jeff,

If you want to save a little $$$, take out the rear 3rd member yourself and take it to whomever. I think Ujoint gets a lot of nod here. If you need help, we'll help you with it and you can change out the seals too.

Everything else is just easy work, I think. Installing the air compressor at the location of your choice, not the choice of the installer is important and the Mud board is a huge resource.

Running the air line like how it SHOULD be run and not how some monkey runs willy nilly should be a priority of yours.

Installing the two switches on the dash so that the wires are clean, tucked in nicely while not breaking any of the plastic tabs should be done with care. What are the odds of some monkey doing this with care for your vehicle?

Mods like these are typically one and done but do owners open up everything to see if they're done neatly and with care, usually not.

Yes, I'm a control freak but I think it's important to install mods so that you know how to fix it in the field or know how to troubleshoot it not only on your ride but on someone else's.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. I will install the compressor where I want it, air line routing and switches myself. I did some of this on my Jeep, several years ago.

The compressor might fit into an area around the Air filter box on an 80. I would route the air line along the driver's side frame to avoid any heat from the exhaust system. The switches, I will have to look at the dash closer. Thoughts??

I feel good about doing this part of the install and that would save some money and insure that those parts are done right and that I would know where they are placed.

But, I will not tackle the heavy axle parts and install the ARB locker myself. I am not able to do this work . I do appreciate the offers of help, but my garage is not set up for lifting this rig and working underneath it. I would not want to take up someone's time doing this kind of work for me, while I hand tools to them. I have tried these kinds of big projects in the past and they did not turn out well. Ended up costing me more money fixing what I did wrong. I can bolt on parts ( sliders, skid plates , bumpers, a winch, change spark plugs, wires, even did the PHH with some help,etc). But, those big jobs are not for me. I really admire those who can repair anything on their 4x4.

I have faith in Desert Rat to do that kind of work for me. They have backed up the work they have done for me in the past, even out of warranty items.

I wish I had learned how to tear into engines, axles, trannys, weld, etc, when I was young, but I did not. I understand to need for this knowledge , out on the trail. I will try my best not to break these parts, by staying within my rig's abilities.

I have done the hard trails and that is not where I plan to go with this 80.
Thanks again for your ideas. This project is in the future, even though I have "locker fever" now. The money has to come together with the time.
Feel free to continue to post any ideas about an ARB rear locker install in an 80. Where you think the compressor might be best placed, routes of the air line, and places for the switches, etc. Those are the things I can do well. Thanks.

DO you have any OBA already? I mounted a couple MV50's slaved together in the second battery box, ran a distribution block, pressure switch etc, plumbed it into my sliders as a little reserve (all pushlock airbrake line of different diameters), ran a chuck to front a rear bumper brackets along with a gauge... always worked well for me, but YMMV. Now in the 4R I carry around a smitty built electric compressor that should out perform my two ported MV50's but i never ran them side by side to know, but I'm happy with the new one. I should mount and hard plumb and wire it someday.

that makes no sense if you have dual batts already, i jstu ran teh gigantic die hard plat 31M in one box. then i'd say why not go York, get your air that way and double bang for your trouble?

Or just skip the ARB air locker and work on your wheeling techniques. Having a decent suspension that articulates will usually do well on the hard stuff. Money saved, done!:flipoff2:

Or just skip the ARB air locker and work on your wheeling techniques. Having a decent suspension that articulates will usually do well on the hard stuff. Money saved, done!:flipoff2:
Are you feeling ok Ali? Since when do you try to save people money?

HACKED ACCOUNT!!!! :flipoff2:

Last edited:
Oh man, this is a tough crowd.

Ali, sorry you are getting beat up . You are just trying to save a newbe some $$$. HA. Your buds are suggesting you don't usually go there....??

I use CO2 and a back up portable air compressor. That way I can move air up gear from one rig to the other. Got a GMC Canyon 4x4, also. We have an RV and CO2 is good for 100# of air in its tires.

Driving with open diffs is good for selecting the proper lines, and also having to think about where the rear wheels are going to end up, too.
Thanks for the advice and the ARB will get done sometime.

I wasn't sure if there was a local Toyota guy that did good locker installs, that club members might suggest. Like I said, I have had good luck with Desert Rat on other jobs.

Installing the two switches on the dash so that the wires are clean, tucked in nicely while not breaking any of the plastic tabs should be done with care.

Sorry, just for you @alia176

3FD62BE5-E49D-43E2-AC7F-1851C51CA3D9.jpeg

Ya it’s a dang miracle any of my junk actually operates

Gosh, then you can just hack up the dash and do this …

ARB_sm.jpg

Looking good fellas!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom