ARB Onboard Compressor Trouble Shooting. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My ARB CKM onboard compressor just died.
I checked the 40 Amp fuse & it was shot so I replaced the fuse and the new one burnt.
I went ahead and dismantled the motor cap, brushes seemed healthy enough, a bit worn but nothing drastic.
I am not savy in electrical issues, but I think the problem is with either components with red arrow.
A friend said that older models of this compressor had a fault and ARB has made a replacement part 320111 @Assy, Compressor Motor Cap, CKW.
Can anyone advise what the function of these components is ? and perhaps if I replace them with a higher rating the problemmight be solved.
The circular one has " KSD 116*C" written on it and the brown one "L75
225"
Thanks guys.....
MotorCover.jpg

MotorCoverARB1.JPG

The circular one looks like a thermal snap-switch. It's designed to open the circuit at the indicated temperature. It should measure "closed"

The brown one is a capacitor, most likely for noise suppression. If that were shorted it would probably explode. It should measure "open"

It's not likely either is the culprit.

The circular one looks like a thermal snap-switch. It's designed to open the circuit at the indicated temperature. It should measure "closed"

The brown one is a capacitor, most likely for noise suppression. If that were shorted it would probably explode. It should measure "open"

It's not likely either is the culprit.
Tkx @landcrshr, a friend will gift me ARB's upgraded replacement cover, I'll see if it will revive the unit and what upgrade to the components if any.

To add, I was contemplating how to reinstall the current motor cap, particularly setting the brushes on the commutator as it is a bit tricky.
After fiddling around a bit I found out that if you push the brushes deeper into their holder the brush spring is designed in a way that the brush stays inside the holder. Once the cap is almost set in place, a slight tap on the motor cap will cause the bushes to eject & set in place onto the commuatator, i thought this was quite smart from ARB, made the assemblky a piece of cake.

To add, I was contemplating how to reinstall the current motor cap, particularly setting the brushes on the commutator as it is a bit tricky.
After fiddling around a bit I found out that if you push the brushes deeper into their holder the brush spring is designed in a way that the brush stays inside the holder. Once the cap is almost set in place, a slight tap on the motor cap will cause the bushes to eject & set in place onto the commuatator, i thought this was quite smart from ARB, made the assemblky a piece of cake.
You saved me a whole lot of time! Installing my new compressor, it wouldn't run, so of course I took it apart to see what was wrong and was thinking I needed some kind of special tool to get the brushes back in. I love MUD!!! Put it back together, couple of love taps with a brass hammer, a boom... it lives!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom