ARB Marker/Blinker dual filament - Drop In! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well almost drop in...

I've been wanting to put a dual filament in my front side markers for safety reasons, and then after getting my ARB front bumper I figured it would be nice to have a dual filament in them as well, again mostly for safety. Also I realized if I did the above I wouldn't really need the factory blinkers especially given their location, tucked deep behind/above the bumper.

So as far as the ARB lights go, at first I planned to literally take a dual filament like THIS , and put it into the ARB light. That didn't work out too well, I ended up bugering up one of the metal ARB sockets pretty bad. But I'd like to see someone attempt this, it would definatelly be more of a "drop in" option.

Anyway The first pic below is the light socket I went with, Conduct-tite #84725 from PepBoys, (Kragen has them on their website but say they are not available). It's just a basic 1157 socket with a lip on the end, for an oval washer to fit over. So you could just slide a washer over a similar socket to achieve this, if sourcing is an issue. However #84725 has the waterproof tail on it too.

In the next 2 pics, I used a 25mm (.98 inches), hole saw, (already had in the tool box), which was just a bit too big, 3/4" would be just right for the socket to be mounted against. Then drilled a couple tiny holes in the ARB plastic bulb housing and used sheet metal screws to attach bulb mount.

I then soldered and shrink wrapped my connections to the existing harness with a plug in between for quick disconnect.

Couple notes. I kept the metal portion inside the the light, thinking it may be their for a heat barrier more than reflective purposes. Also I siliconed a couple places; the black grommet where the original wiring went through, and around the oval washer.

Here's a vid too. [man it's hard taking still pics of a blinker cycling on/off!] :cool:

YouTube - ARB blinker & side marker, both dual filament

Link to the side marker mod posts #42 & 43;

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/95009-corner-marker-light-drop-dual-filiment-sockets-2.html
IMG_1681.jpg
IMG_1679.jpg
IMG_1682.jpg

Thanks. I should probably mention, if it's not clear already, once you drill these holes you're pretty much committed, no going back.

kind of off topic, but can someone post a pic of where they wired there ARB marker lights into the turn signals?

kind of off topic, but can someone post a pic of where they wired there ARB marker lights into the turn signals?

Won't be home til Wednesday, and don't have pics on my computer. I wired mine to the turn signal and marker light right before the connector for each. That is to say on the 'truck side' of the connector, which allows you to unplug the turn signal or marker light and disconnect it from vehicle if you so choose.

thanks medtro

This is a great mod. Thanks for posting it! It changes the light bulb to a forward-pointing position, allowing a LED light bulb to be used in the ARB lights.

This is a great mod. Thanks for posting it! It changes the light bulb to a forward-pointing position, allowing a LED light bulb to be used in the ARB lights.

I was thinking the same thing. Pep Boys were asking 8 bucks a pop for the LED lights, maybe that was a pair? Anyway, It wouldn't be a bad idea to use LED's in the ARB since your taping into a wire that was only intended for 1 light!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom