ARB lockers install??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm considering getting a set of ARB lockers and was wondering if anyone here had ever installed one or not. Just so I knew what I was getting myself into.

i have done several diffs. no arb, but a diff rebuild is a diff rebuild.
the only tricky parts is the tapping for the airline and not fubaring seals on install.

I would do an aussie in the rear, then if you really want one an ARB or cable locker in the front.

Aussie is nearly as good as an ARB, and a heck of a lot cheaper.

I would do an aussie in the rear, then if you really want one an ARB or cable locker in the front.

Aussie is nearly as good as an ARB, and a heck of a lot cheaper.

i have to beg to differ.
you couldnt pay me to run a lunchbox locker.
run a spool or a selectable, only options.

i have to beg to differ.

X2 well it might depend on how much you were willing to pay :D

i have to beg to differ.

Why? Don't like the occasional chirp or clunk?

Many people run Aussie's in the rear of an 80 series with no problems. I could see it being a problem in a shorter wheel base vehicle, but the 80 is rather long. Many people can't even tell they have the Aussie installed unless they're in a parking garage/lot.

I prefer a selectable over an Aussie, but I wouldn't pay for one. ARB's are hideously expensive, by the time you're done doing ARB's you could have found a donor 80 with lockers and swapped axles. :meh:

i like predictability.
i drove my brothers and it was terrible. and it eventually self destructed.

for the rear of a primarily offroad rig you cannot beat a spool.
and the tire wear is going to be damn near the same as with an Aussie type locker. as is the cost of the locker itself.

i agree that the selectables are stupid money, and thats the reason i run two spools $100 a piece. 100% traction all the time :)

i like predictability.
i drove my brothers and it was terrible. and it eventually self destructed.

for the rear of a primarily offroad rig you cannot beat a spool.
and the tire wear is going to be damn near the same as with an Aussie type locker. as is the cost of the locker itself.

i agree that the selectables are stupid money, and thats the reason i run two spools $100 a piece. 100% traction all the time :)

I'm not aware of any other reasonably priced options for 80's, at least not any in the States. So from what I've read (and I haven't heavily researched it, as I have lockers :grinpimp: ) your choices are:

1) Swap in OEM e-lockers. About $3,500 if you buy the axles from a 'MUDer, less if you can find a junked 80 and buy it as a parts rig.
2) Swap in ARB lockers. $2,000 to $2,500 depending on what options you go with.
3) Install an Aussie. Less than $200 for rear only. You can install hubs an an Aussie in the front for a cheap 2WD/4WD conversion (or drop the front drive shaft), or do a full 2WD conversion, either of which should be less than a grand if you did the work yourself.

There is a spool style locker that recently made it's way into the US, but it's largely untested and is still expensive (around $1,000 per diff).

Most people don't need a locker in the front for what they do, really. So it's hard to pass up $200 to get you locked in the rear vs $1500 for ARB (rear only).

As for predictability, the Aussie is really quite predictable. I know that RetroFive's had his up in the snow and ice without complaints. It's quite solid as well, tons of people have run it (and heavily abused it) for thousands of miles. Since it's really the only inexpensive locker choice for the 80 series, it's quite widely used and I haven't heard of a single instance of it failing, or issues with tire wear.

Lunchbox lockers can be cheap, but the Aussie seems quite well designed and built, and is very proven, at least for the 80 series. :meh:

Slight correction, the mining claim is the first time I have driven my truck offroad since the install, and no snow or ice. Keep in mind Gnob installed mine and had driven it. Each to their own. It fitted my bill and am pleased I did for this truck. They are over $200 + labor to install if you don't do it yourself. Ive seen plenty of elocked axles complete from $1000-$2300, trust me I did look, but the aussie came used at a very good price. ARB are too spendy for my blood and how I wheel (again this is me)

EDIT:

I did decide the Aussie was good choice for the 80 based on the many threads in 80tech on them. Quite a few guys are running them and seem to like them for their purpose. I haven't heard of anyone blowing one up on an 80, but thats just 'mud word.

And thank you again Gnob for installing mine ;)

Last edited:
for sure ty.

i am not trying to scare anyone. just stating my direct experience.
with the Aussie being the only reasonable aftermarket locker, you guys arent left with much choice.

i like fewer moving parts in things i want to thrash.

it does seem kinda strange that there are no 9.5" spools, as popular as 40 series are, and as long as theyve been around

for sure ty.

i am not trying to scare anyone. just stating my direct experience.
with the Aussie being the only reasonable aftermarket locker, you guys arent left with much choice.

i like fewer moving parts in things i want to thrash.

it does seem kinda strange that there are no 9.5" spools, as popular as 40 series are, and as long as theyve been around

:) I hear ya. Guess the bottom line like all the locker threads end is how do you wheel/use your truck and what are the needs you demand from it.

For me its a capable rig to go out and have some fun with my fam, the group, the wheelers occasionally. ;)

80's diffs are high pinion, different than 40's/60's/etc.

i have considered an aussie only because of price. i do really like the idea of selectable- true on/off lockers though.
install is my biggest worry though, having never done one at all and being not totally stupid i can tell the ARB is gonna be more work to put in without even looking at it.

On the subject of price(and this may change some minds) through the end of the month ARB still has there locker deal going. that deal is one locker- one free pump. two lockers- one free high volume pump and a tire inflation kit. Advantage tire in medford is a ARB dealer. they told me 1590.00 shipped for everything both lockers and pump as long as i get the order in before mid day on friday. for selectable front and rear lockers thats not a bad price.

if there was a spool locker for the front id do it and put an aus in the rear and call it good for cheap but as far as I can tell ARB is my only front option without doing 2wd hubs

if there was a spool locker for the front id do it and put an aus in the rear and call it good for cheap but as far as I can tell ARB is my only front option without doing 2wd hubs

Try talking to ringpinion.biz, he's a vendor here on 'MUD.

I searched pretty heavily for anyone running a spool (or really a non-ARB/OEM/Aussie) on 'MUD and found nothing. I did find one post by ringpinion.biz stating that they had different options for the 80's however.

You can look at his site:
Landcruiser : JTs Parts & Accessories, Justdifferentials.com

All I'm seeing for the rear are ARB's or lunchbox lockers. They do have a limited slip for the front, but a lot of folks opinions seem to be that it's nearly useless.

I would arrgue that an ARB is the best mod, or a retrofit of a e-locker is the best most, by far. Also if you are talking about a LSD that fits inside the carrier, is a bad mod since the front carrier is weak and will deform under load and cause ring and pinion breakages, ARB or E-lcoker fixes this.

You automatically say you don't agree, that is your right, but man, but please do not mislead people. I don't care that you can theoretically describe with physics why it would work, it does not work in ROCK CRAWLING, and that is what the post was about. It might work 10%, but it is not the best.

I would not reccomend an lsd in the front of a full time 4wd vehicle. Tru tracs dont hook up well, so many people do run them in full time 4wd vehicles (popular in rovers), but you would be better of with one locker in the rear, than trutrac front and rear (althought tru trac is not available for the rear anyway)

Hmm...if the guy selling them doesn't recommend 'em......

and for the record, the mini V6 spool would work up front in the 80 as they use the same carrier, well 2 pinion vs. 4.

The mini V6 is a 8" high pinion setup?

no, the mini V6 ring gear carrier will swap with a HP 80 diff ring gear carrier.
a lot of guys are running 80 series HP diffs up front in mini trucks.
the reason you cant use the whole V6 low pinion in the 80 is obviously the steering issue.
so for someone running a real 4wd 80 this is an option.

so for someone running a real 4wd 80 this is an option.

So in other words you have to spend the money to make it selectable 4WD, which means hubs, converting the t-case, and everything else that entails.

Or just drop the front DS for the poor mans (very manual) selectable 4WD. :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom