ARB Lockers - Front or rear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

M

Mike G.

I can't afford to install ARB air lockers in both the front and rear axles, but would like to install at least one for now. Which would be better to upgrade - the front or rear?

Also have a second question: I was thinking of installing Newfield birfs. My front axle was changed sometime in the past to disc brakes. The locking hubs look like the Warn hubs Toyota supplied on 76-78 front axles. There is a small stamp on the hub - H193. Does anyone know if these hubs are 6 spline or 30 spline? From what I understand, the newfields can only be installed if the hubs are 30 spline.

I would do the rear.

I would also go Longfields not Newfields.

sorry no help on the front axle.

IIRC, if you have disk brakes then you are fine spline. There has been some debate whether the Warn hubs will work with longs. I think they will, most people switch to Aisins because they are shorter and are stronger.
I would go w/ a locker in the back first for sure. A selectable locker in the back would be nice. If I had only one selectable locker it would be in the front though.

The big bonus to the ARB or any selectable up front is that making tight turns on the trail becomes cake when unlocked....If you live in an area that sees muchos snow, being locked front and rear can get spooky quick on a snowy road or highway, so a selectable front is a big boon there too.

So yeah, if you're only doing one selectable and one Auto, that is the setup I would run....the last rig was just locked out back, the FJ will likely be the same for this year at least.

RJ

[quote author=VTCruiser link=board=1;threadid=10715;start=msg96310#msg96310 date=1075305437]
For my 60 I was thinking an aussie locker (or equivalent) in the rear and an air locker up front. Would that be a wise setup?
[/quote]

Don't see any reason why this would not work, others have done it.

Good luck!

-Steve

Mike g-

Lock up the rear, and go with longs.

If you currenty have disc brakes on the front, and all Toyota parts were used for this swap, then the lock outs that you have on there should work fine. You can verify this by removing the dial/cap of the lockout, and counting the splines that are on the end of the axle shaft, should be 30. The only issue you may run into with using these lockouts is needing to switch from the snap ring retention on the outer end of the axle to a bolt and large washer, not the big of a deal, or, just get some Toyota/Asin hubs, and call it good.

Good luck!

-Steve

-Steve

If your only going with one locker for the foreseeable future, put the arb in the rear. However, if your planning on adding a 2nd locker soon, I would put the arb up front, and save $250 to put an aussie or equivalent in the rear.

i think you should put it in the rear so your able to unlock it when you want
and put a solid locker in the front like a detroit because you can unlock the hubs to disengage for easy steering

I would put the ARB in the rear as well, unless you want to do the aussie locker at the same time.

The warn hubs (at least the ones I had) will most definitely fit the mini truck replacement birfs from Long. I just finished my upgrade this week.

What brake upgrade did you do? IIRC there is a year or two of the later FJ40 disk upgrade that has a different size birfield and those may not be the same as the mini.

I would probably put the ARB in the front IF you can put a Lock-Right (or something) in the rear at the same time. If not then the rear is the place to have it. Another thing to remember is that if you don't have a locker in the front it's almost impossible to break a birf. It can be done but you have to be real hard on it.

I've got an ARB sitting in my garage ready to go in the rear.
My 40 is a daily driver, and it is necessary for road transparency, so the arb is in the rear.
At some point there will probably be an EZ or Aussie going up front, unless another $600 magically falls into my lap.

[quote author=Archengine link=board=1;threadid=10715;start=msg96346#msg96346 date=1075310200]
If your only going with one locker for the foreseeable future, put the arb in the rear. However, if your planning on adding a 2nd locker soon, I would put the arb up front, and save $250 to put an aussie or equivalent in the rear.
[/quote]

I have heard these are better, but I heven't heard why. What are the advantages of the aussie locker?

on a short wheelbase like a 40and its a daily driver(or close) I would stay away from a locker in the rear like the lockright, aussie, detroit ect.........they can be a handfull(when they lock up) even with a stock 2f......in the wet or snow they are even more so. Sure guys run em, but they arn't real road freindly IMOP. In a longer wheelbase like a 55 or 60 its not as much of an issue. I know I sure don't like driving my buddies detriot locked 40 around.....

[quote author=lndcrzr71 link=board=1;threadid=10715;start=msg96523#msg96523 date=1075331293]
i think you should put it in the rear so your able to unlock it when you want
and put a solid locker in the front like a detroit because you can unlock the hubs to disengage for easy steering
[/quote]

My 40 had Lockrites front and rear...unlocking hubs on the trail is a much bigger PITA than driving a detroit in the rear on the street IMHO, Done both and like the auto in the back and the selectable up front.

RJ

I guess i dont agree with most of what has been posted :D

A new lock rite no slip in the back of my 40 has been 100% painless. I dont even know it is back there. The only issue with it is the that both tires must be filled to the same pressure or it will lock/unlock all the time. I do agree that the other auto lockers in the back suck all the time but the no slip is different.

In the ft get the cheapest locker known to man! Just weld it! The EZ locker I have in the ft works great. I have no issues turning it at slow speed with saginaw. If you dont have PS then you should get it prior to any locker ideas. The EZ works fine for me at the speeds I go when off roading. It also does well at faster speeds such as 4WH on fire roads.

Usually bierfields break when turning at extreme angles or backing up at lessor angles when locked. I unlock as needed and I am really lazy so I dont do it much.

I think you will get more out of a cheap locker in the ft than an expensive one in the back

[quote author=romer link=board=1;threadid=10715;start=msg97010#msg97010 date=1075472972]
I have heard these are better, but I heven't heard why. What are the advantages of the aussie locker?
[/quote]

Less expensive. I would not go so far as to say better; It could be a ‘better’ option for a person that will not be operating their truck as a daily driver, or does not want to spend the money on the benefit that an operator controllable locking differential would provide.

If cheaper is better, and that is your standard, then yes, an aussie, lock-rite, or any other valu-lok differential will be right up your alley, but why not just weld the diff, and save yourself 200.00us?

If you want the benefits of an operator controllable locking differential, then Toyota manual or electric lockers, or the ARB are your best options. The expense of this style locking diff. is more, but it comes down to you, and what you want, and what you see your vehicle being subjected to most, and your budget.

If you can, I would try and drive a vehicle that has the aussie or other non-selectable diff. in the rear, and see if it is something that you want.

I am an ARB guy. Have been since '92. I have driven many other vehicles that did not have selectable rear differentials. They do operate differently than an open diff, but it is not something that you could not get used to, if you are aware of this fact, and able to adjust your driving style on slippery surfaces. It is not something that I wanted to really mess with. The ARB is a significant improvement in strength over a stock, aussie or other valu-lok diff, that uses a stock carrier. I have seen lock-rites fail, and have seen things go wrong with ARB's, mostly from people that did not install something properly.

Good luck!

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom