ARB Lockers- Can some one school me on old vs new part numbers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I might have a chance to get some reasonably priced NIB ARB lockers to go in my 62.

They are the old part numbers/design: RD 008 and RD 002.

Wondering what the older design will mean in terms of installation and performance?

It seems the new design is an improvement but can't seem to figure out the real impact and if is worth it.

Cheers,

sean

Last edited:
I might have a chance to get some reasonably NIB ARB lockers to go in my 62.

They are the old part numbers/design: RD 008 and RD 002.

Wondering what the older design will mean in terms of installation and performance?

It seems the new design is an improvement but can't seem to figure out the real impact and if is worth it.

Cheers,

sean

From @cruiseroutfit

Cruiser Outfitters - http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/tech_ARB_lineage.html

(Early ARB Air Locker, note the "Roberts" stamped in housing)

RD02 - FF, screw style sehal housing, 45 mm carrier bearings - Discontinued ~ 05'
RD08 - SF, screw style seal housing, 45 mm carrier bearings - Discontinued ~ 05'
RD23 -
RD33 - FF, screw style seal housing. 50 mm carrier bearings
RD124 - SF, clip style seal housing. 50 mm carrier bearings
RD142 - FF, clip style seal housing. 50 mm carrier bearings
RD153 - SF, clip style seal housing. 50 mm carrier bearings

*Some late RD08's and RD33's had the clip style seal housings and some late RD08's had the 50mm carrier bearings.

If the price is a good deal, then go for it. You can always replace the seals to the newer style now. My BJ74 has ARB lockers F/R and a compressor that have been installed for at least 25 years, most likely longer and still chugging along fine.

I installed ARB air lockers front and rear in 1989 and they’re still fine.
They’re definitely not the newer models.
Normal “4WD” is really 2WD and pretty limited when things get sketchy. The lockers give you true 4WD.
AND WILL SAVE YOUR ASS

Depending on the price, it could be a great deal. ARB has made many improvements (gears, seals, air line, housing, etc) from the old RD02/08 days but we still see them working great in many old Land Cruisers. I.e. I wouldn't pull working ones for the sake of replacing them.

Great, thanks guys. Waiting to confirm they are the right part number but it seems they will be. Hopefully, I will get a deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom