arb locker switches (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Where is everyone mounting their switches for the arb lockers?

Most don't use them.
80 series switch is preferred.

Independent switching would be nice though. You can mount the two ARB switches in place of the OEM dial too.

I have my compressor turn on with one switch, which then activates power to my 80 series switch. From there I can go rear then both.

Arb switches are kinda...huge for just doing some relay triggering

Per farinvail I like the ability to use each locker independently...as well as together.

Eaton, if you can find someone to sell them to you, makes quite a selection of nice looking switches. Much better looking and a bit more svelte than what ARB is using. But the ARBs function just fine...
LC 99 dash switch panel.jpg

I LOVE the look of the ARB switches. Dual lights....ahhh..........

44071775_5faZ3-L.jpg

WOW...I jusrt noticed the ODO in that pic. 54K was when I locked this thing. That was 2003. 100K and no service needed yet.

FYI: I have an 80-series RR/FR locker switch that is brand new and never used if someone wants to take it off my hands. I bought it about 4 years ago to put in my 99 ARB'd 4Runner, but never got around to swapping things out before selling it. PM if interested...

As far as switches go, the ARB harness only lets you lock the front AFTER the rear is locked - at least that's the way it used to be... I had my 4Runner locked for years and never once did I wish I had a locked front and open rear on a trail.

I want lockers! Have the quote, just need the benjamins.

Yeah, it's kind of senseless to actually have the front locked with an open rear... Use the factory 80 series knob, and mount the on/off compressor switch somewhere out of sight. Then it looks factory!

Steering wheel cranked near full lock, one front tire off the ground and you don't want to go straight but your locked rear is causing your front end to plow. Could an unlocked rear help? Maybe.

I use my front locker as or more often than just the rear locker. Our IFS especially noticeable on steep steady climbs rises under torque thereby shifting weight from the front suspension/tires to the rear thereby reducing relative traction at the front tires.

And the fact the ARB front locker engages almost instantaneously whereas my rear e-locker always takes longer to engage is another reason my front locker gets used so often.

Obviously the specific types of terrain you travel will affect which locker(s) is used and when...

Tha'ts the beauty of a 2000+. I almost never have to lock the front. Lock the rear and TRAC assists the front.

*Traction increase with no extra stress on components and FULL turning capability without risk of breakage.

Last edited:
I lock the front way more than the back. ARB is fast on and off and as said above. It pulls the front where you want it to go. Rather than the rears pushing truck straight forward. For me it is usually only on for 5 feet or so. Then it's off so I can steer. I have been wanting an ARB in the rear for a while. Until a few weeks ago when my compressor died and only the factory rear worked. Nice to have independent systems. I'm looking forward to ATRAK on my next rig.

I have to agree that independent control is a good thing. I didn't do my 100 that way but I really don't use it that hard. When I replace the switches in my FJ40 I'll re-wire it so I can switch the F&R ARB's independently. There have been several situations where front locked only would have been useful.

If you use the 80 switch, does the front axle lock dash light illuminate?

I've noticed in certain light conditions that the cutout for it is in the cluster, I don't however know if the light is there.

The lamps are there, based upon my '99, but you have to run a wire to that lamp from the OEM switch. There is also, for the diesel non-NA versions, a diesel air cleaner symbol and lamp...I'm using it for my aux tank.

Somebody here actually ran power from their ARB switch to that front locker lamp...

Will a rear factory locker out of a 97 80 series fit into the 100? I recently found a 80 sitting in my local scrap yard with factory lockers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom